SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Port Forwarding Rule Script
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Reply
  
Port Forwarding Rule Script Login/Join 
McNoob
Picture of xantom
posted
TP-Link AC1900 Archer A9
https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link...Router/dp/B07NF3K74H

I have a remote blue iris camera system setup on a farm and when the power goes out, or the router is restarted the port forwarding rule on the router gets wiped out. I was thinking there must be a way to schedule a bat file that will check to see if the rule exists and then add the rule if it’s not there. Does anyone here know how to do this? I started playing around with miniupnp but haven’t found a good solution yet.




"We've done four already, but now we're steady..."
 
Posts: 1522 | Location: MN | Registered: November 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Maybe buy a real router that doesn't lose its settings.
 
Posts: 20950 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of Shaql
posted Hide Post
While smschulz's response is funny as hell, it brings up a pretty good point. Your router should not lose its configuration just because it rebooted.

If the router has a usb drive, you might be able to save the configuration there and have the router boot off that.

Otherwise, yea, get a different/better router.





Hedley Lamarr: Wait, wait, wait. I'm unarmed.
Bart: Alright, we'll settle this like men, with our fists.
Hedley Lamarr: Sorry, I just remembered . . . I am armed.
 
Posts: 6633 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: April 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
AC1900 Archer A9

https://www.tp-link.com/us/sup.../download/archer-a9/

look at updating the routers firmware, check the faq's at the link from TP-Link, or contact tech support,

https://www.tp-link.com/us/sup...t-technical-support/



 
Posts: 20042 | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
Maybe buy a real router that doesn't lose its settings.
^^^^^ This!
quote:
Originally posted by Shaql:
While smschulz's response is funny as hell, it brings up a pretty good point. Your router should not lose its configuration just because it rebooted.
I'll put it more bluntly: Any piece of network gear I had did that would quickly become not-my-network-gear.




"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher
"The dominant media is no more ``mainstream`` than leftists are liberals." -- me
 
Posts: 23524 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
The network professionals in this thread, and I think you know who they are, are giving you the right advice. As a replacement small site premises router, I'll suggest the Ubiquiti EdgeRouterX, about $90. Solid piece of gear and based on the feature-rich Vyatta software for which scads of on-line documentation and help are available (it also has a reasonable web-based GUI for those who are command-line shy).

Reconfigure your TP-Link to solely function as a WiFi access point.
 
Posts: 5418 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
McNoob
Picture of xantom
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
Maybe buy a real router that doesn't lose its settings.


Touche! I figured as much, new router it is then.




"We've done four already, but now we're steady..."
 
Posts: 1522 | Location: MN | Registered: November 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
Something is wrong with your specific router.

I have run TP-link routers for years and never had a problem.

I would download the current firmware and reflash it first.

Your problems may go away.

If not trash it you have a defective router.
 
Posts: 4296 | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
McNoob
Picture of xantom
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sig2392:
Something is wrong with your specific router.

I have run TP-link routers for years and never had a problem.

I would download the current firmware and reflash it first.

Your problems may go away.

If not trash it you have a defective router.


Yep, I installed the latest firmware to no avail. Yeah I am thinking the unit itself is bad. Will likely use it as an AP down the road somewhere else.




"We've done four already, but now we're steady..."
 
Posts: 1522 | Location: MN | Registered: November 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
I would backup your settings, reset to factory, then firmware update if needed, then load settings from backup (or if simple, reconfigure from scratch).

I've had 2 Archer's go wonky after a while of use, I thought they got hit by lightning. The above cured them & took <5 minutes for my mom's. The 'tether' app is handy.

port forwarding is a pain in the ass on every consumer router/AP.
 
Posts: 3166 | Location: IN | Registered: January 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by xantom:
Yep, I installed the latest firmware to no avail. Yeah I am thinking the unit itself is bad.
Speaking as somebody who used to do both hardware and software design and coding, professionally, it'd be an odd hardware anomaly indeed that would cause that one setting to fail to save like that.

It's not quite impossible, but I'd nearly bet one of the mortgage payments we used to make it's firmware. Just poor, sloppy coding. Likely rooted in poor design.

Sadly, despite all that's been learned since I started coding over forty-five years ago, and the creation of languages that designed to save software designers and engineers from their own ignorance, stupidity, and carelessness, software quality is decreasing, rather than increasing.




"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher
"The dominant media is no more ``mainstream`` than leftists are liberals." -- me
 
Posts: 23524 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
McNoob
Picture of xantom
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
quote:
Originally posted by xantom:
Yep, I installed the latest firmware to no avail. Yeah I am thinking the unit itself is bad.
Speaking as somebody who used to do both hardware and software design and coding, professionally, it'd be an odd hardware anomaly indeed that would cause that one setting to fail to save like that.

It's not quite impossible, but I'd nearly bet one of the mortgage payments we used to make it's firmware. Just poor, sloppy coding. Likely rooted in poor design.

Sadly, despite all that's been learned since I started coding over forty-five years ago, and the creation of languages that designed to save software designers and engineers from their own ignorance, stupidity, and carelessness, software quality is decreasing, rather than increasing.


You aren't wrong there! I have setup a handful of other port forwarding rules on other routers and never ran into this issue. I think this is a hardware issue, but it certainly could be a firmware issue. I was more interested in seeing if there was a programmatic way to check/add that PF rule. The BI server wizard certainly can handle adding the rule to the router on the fly.




"We've done four already, but now we're steady..."
 
Posts: 1522 | Location: MN | Registered: November 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by xantom:
I was more interested in seeing if there was a programmatic way to check/add that PF rule.
Perhaps there is. I honestly don't know. But do you really want to trust your Internet border security to a device so-poorly made it can't even save and restore its configuration properly?




"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher
"The dominant media is no more ``mainstream`` than leftists are liberals." -- me
 
Posts: 23524 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Perhaps overwrite the OS with something like OPENWRT or another?
I didn't see this particular model supported on it but it might work or try another.
As mentioned the Edgerouter series is a great product at not a lot of money.
It is not uber-intuitive but fairly manageable.
I always recommend separating the routing function and Wi-Fi function anyway.
They are two distinct functions that most lump together but that is incorrect.
 
Posts: 20950 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
As mentioned the Edgerouter series is a great product at not a lot of money.
It is not uber-intuitive but fairly manageable.
I always recommend separating the routing function and Wi-Fi function anyway.
They are two distinct functions that most lump together but that is incorrect.
Agreed on all points.




"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher
"The dominant media is no more ``mainstream`` than leftists are liberals." -- me
 
Posts: 23524 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
software quality is decreasing, rather than increasing.

I kinda blame flash memory and the Internet for this.

Used to be, you had to be damn sure of the code before you shipped because updating masked ROMs and/or floppies/CDs/DVDs was a logistical and economic nightmare. Now, rather than use tools and procedures (and time) to get it right and confirm you got there before shipping through rigorous testing, often it's 'we'll issue an update if when we find a bug later' and out the door it goes, on schedule.

Yes, that's an oversimplification, and yes, easy-to-get firmware updates are a modern miracle. But still, the ease of issuing updates after sale has reduced the pressure to get it right up front.
 
Posts: 14557 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
  Powered by Social Strata  
 

SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Port Forwarding Rule Script

© SIGforum 2022