SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Need a new non-stick pan, what’s everyone like?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need a new non-stick pan, what’s everyone like? Login/Join 
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted
Looking for either a large non-stick skillet or possibly a two skillet set. Bonus if they have lids. I don’t mind spending a few $ on a good one, but some of this stuff is outrageous. Anyone have suggestions on brands/pieces they’ve been happy with? It’s been a while since I last shopped for non-stick and I’m sure things have changed a lot.

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5425 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
I got this OXO one from Amazon because of America's Test Kitchen review/test. Only used once so far, so I can't give any review other than works brand new. Real test is after hundreds and hundreds of eggs any new one will work initially.

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/QZ3ZsLRgmw0

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 21142 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
I also bought the Oxo one (after too much coating finally got scraped off my All-Clad) on the recommendation of America's Test Kitchen.

It works just fine.

If you don't want to watch the video, their basic conclusion is that even the best non-stick pan in the world wears out pretty quickly, so you might as well buy a pretty good cheap one so you don't mind throwing it away and buying another when it's toast. In their testing, the Oxo was the best of the inexpensive non-stick pans.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
I have and like my Anolon cookware.

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
Obviously not everyone likes this pan, but it’s the best nonstick pan that I know of:

Kyocera CFP30BK 12" Nonstick Fry Pan, 12 INCH
www.amazon.com/dp/B00I5HE5RY/r..._api_i_BthRDbX0A6FJ4

8, 10, and 12 inch sizes. I’ve had mine for several years, and it still looks, and works, like new. Kyocera is unmatched in ceramic technology. Its very hard silicon carbide nonstick surface is applied by vapor deposition. Not obvious from the photos, but it’s beautiful to behold, from all angles, and has a thin anti-drip lip all around.

If you google for “best nonstick frying pans” you’ll seldom see the Kyocera mentioned, because Kyocera won’t pay the fee required to get listed in those fake reviews.

Kyocera says that you can use metal utensils, but I have good nylon and silicone utensils, and use those.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 9469 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The success of a solution usually depends upon your point of view
posted Hide Post
I have a great set of stainless steel cookware but I needed an all around non stick fry pan to go with it so I picked up a 10 inch Emeril Essential Hard Anodized Fry Pan. Awesome pan, it heats very evenly, cooks great, and is easy to clean. I did not get a lid for it as one of the lids from my other cookware fits it perfectly.

Emeril™ Essential Hard Anodized Fry Pan in Black

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

Posts: 3903 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
I've been using the Tramontina Professional Aluminum Nonstick Restaurant Fry Pans for years. I have 8", 10", 12", and 14" fry pans. I like 'em so much that I have back-up 8" and 10" ones already purchased for when current ones finally wear out.

I like that the silicon handle slides off and I can put it in the oven (oven safe to 400). The PFOA-free non-stick coating is excellent and durable, and I can either handwash or run through dishwasher. The 10" and 14" are made in USA (don't know about other sizes though).

Also, if you don't need them immediately or at least a certain size immediately, you can track on CamelCamelCamel and nab them on sale. I've bought my 10, 12, and 14 this way and save a bunch.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23690 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
www.karmanator.com

Sigforum search

Half a dozen threads at least.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5216 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Speaks Bendablese
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
I've been using the Tramontina Professional Aluminum Nonstick Restaurant Fry Pans for years.

What he said. The pans are priced such that it isn't a big deal to replace them after a few years when the coating is inevitably compromised. They also retain heat very well.

Posts: 287 | Location: MD | Registered: September 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
I have one Copper Chef and it is utter garbage.

I have two Perfect Green that are induction friendly. They work well.

Since I have birds, PTFE is right out.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34419 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dlc444
posted Hide Post
I usually buy a $10 pan every year at WallyWorld. The wife abuses them, metal forks stirring everything, piece of meat slightly too large, use a 12 inch knife directly in the pan.

Teflon cuts everywhere.

We have a nice set of All Clad, but for some reason, everything sticks in most every pan.

Can you put these things through a buffer or something? They cook great, but the layer of whatever you are cooking stuck to the pan is a bother.

-.---.----.. -.---.----.. -.---.----..
It seems to me that any law that is not enforced and can't be enforced weakens all other laws.

Posts: 4357 | Location: Tampa | Registered: August 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maladat:
I also bought the Oxo one (after too much coating finally got scraped off my All-Clad) on the recommendation of America's Test Kitchen.

It works just fine.

If you don't want to watch the video, their basic conclusion is that even the best non-stick pan in the world wears out pretty quickly, so you might as well buy a pretty good cheap one so you don't mind throwing it away and buying another when it's toast. In their testing, the Oxo was the best of the inexpensive non-stick pans.

I have farberware skillets I bought in 2006 when I bought my first condo. They're still in good shape and work pretty well actually.

That being said for better stuff, I like All clad and Calphalon.

The Bialetti's suck and the Green pan Rio sucks...….the finish stays just fine but it's not truly non stick for eggs.

Posts: 21417 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sams Club (whatever their “commercial” brand is) non stick pans back in their restaurant supply area.... no matter how “nice and easy” you are with the finish you will need to replace non stick
pans regularly unlike cast iron or stainless.

Posts: 198 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: August 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Another big +1 for Tramontina Professional tatortodd and Budlum describe above.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16533 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
I'm with @tatortodd. I recently purchased a Tramontina 10" fry pan from Amazon , and it's terrific! One of the benefits is that its surface is NOT Teflon, which is Polytetrafluoroethylene ( PTFE), but rather ECLIPSE.

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^. I bought a Tramotina a few months ago.

I like it a lot....except for..... the directions say to NOT use a non stick spray as it will clog up the surface, if I recall correctly. I can’t look now cuz I’m in Arizona and the pan is back home in OKC.

Only an oil,or a fat such as butter is recommended. I like butter so that’s ok but sometimes I want to use a spray.

Posts: 11994 | Location: Near Hooker Oklahoma, closer to Slapout Oklahoma | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OKCGene:

I like it a lot....except for..... the directions say to NOT use a non stick spray as it will clog up the surface, if I recall correctly. I can’t look now cuz I’m in Arizona and the pan is back home in OKC.

Only an oil,or a fat such as butter is recommended. I like butter so that’s ok but sometimes I want to use a spray.

Try avocado oil in a small pump spray bottle.
https://www.amazon.com/Pompeia...-Ounce/dp/B00OCNSK6M
Great alternative to EVOO, butter, or bacon grease when you want a spray. Works great in cast iron, stainless, and non-stick pans. Big Grin

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16533 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
^^^^ Will do, thanks.

Posts: 11994 | Location: Near Hooker Oklahoma, closer to Slapout Oklahoma | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OKCGene:

You can buy oil spray cans now that are just oil and don't have any of the junk in them that Pam does.

There are even some ghee ones (extremely clarified butter).

EDIT: Oops, a little late.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
chickenshit
Picture of rsbolo
posted Hide Post
Slight drift. A well seasoned carbon steel pan becomes pretty doggone slick and will last you a lifetime.

Matfer makes very inexpensive high quality carbon steel pans.

All things considered there is a place for non stick but I just wanted to throw an option out there.

Posts: 8000 | Location: East Central FL | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post