SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Selling used ham radio gear and electronics?

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Selling used ham radio gear and electronics? Login/Join 
Picture of grumpy1
posted
Probably early next year or in the spring I am going to sell some of my ham radio gear that I just don't use anymore including a couple "tech specials" and some tube gear. I will certainly keep some but am downsizing.

I used to sell on Ebay but that was over a decade ago. I read things have changed a lot on Ebay including their fees are a lot higher. If I understand correctly if I sell with a reserve price I can expect to have a sellers fee of at least 14 percent including on the shipping. The thing about Ebay that really concerns me is the PayPal 180 day guarantee and that sellers have been burned by that even selling a HF radio as tech special for parts only or tube gear where tubes had been pulled out/swapped with bad tubes and then wanting a refund months later. Anyone have any experiences with that/known of someone that has or is that an overblown concern? Anyone still using Ebay to sell ham gear or used electronics? Does stating "no returns" in your product details prevent users from being able to use PayPal 180 day guarantee? Do you have to accept PayPay as an Ebay seller?

What other avenues are there for selling used ham gear? I had pretty good luck with QTH.com classifieds in the past including local pick up sales and live in the greater Chicago area giving me a fairly wide audience. Any one still using QTH classifieds or similar? Are there still some active swap nets on HF that have fairly large audience?

Thanks for any help and sharing of experiences.

Posts: 9749 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Some options:

. Contact local clubs and ask to advertise in their newsletters.

. See if there is a local youth-oriented program that can use it. Depending on your tax status, you might be able to deduct it.

Posts: 2775 | Location: Northern California | Registered: December 01, 2006Report This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
Or post it here in the classifieds for a week or so. Several hams here, and probably several aspiring ones. I've been threatening to take the test for a while Wink

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11449 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Report This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
I have had good results using QTH.com classifieds for buying and selling all sorts of radio gear. You have to use commmon sense, keep your wits about you as always in these matters.

I’m in the process of getting ready to sell all my radio gear, part of ahhh, estate planning, and will use QTH.com. I’m investigating the various remote sites to stay active.

QRZ.com might be productive as well but I’ve not used them so far.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Another vote for trying to sell it here.

Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies! Listing here sounds like a good idea to try first.

Posts: 9749 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Report This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
Is there no limitation to firearms and related here in Classifieds?

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Report This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:
I have had good results using QTH.com classifieds for buying and selling all sorts of radio gear. You have to use commmon sense, keep your wits about you as always in these matters.

I’m in the process of getting ready to sell all my radio gear, part of ahhh, estate planning, and will use QTH.com. I’m investigating the various remote sites to stay active.

QRZ.com might be productive as well but I’ve not used them so far.

As always thanks for your expertise Jallen. Glad to hear QTH.com works well for you. I am not trying to get top dollar, just a fair price and maybe beyond fair. I will work with anyone who says they found a problem after the sale that may come up with but I just don't want to be ripped off. Years ago I bought used ICOM 756 Pro from a ham down south. When I got it I found that it only put out about half power on 10/15/20. The ham I bought it from said he never used those bands and it was full power on 40 and 80. I emailed him and we worked out a resolution that I would sent it to ICOM and we would split 50/50 the repair and shipping charges. He promptly sent me a check once I emailed him a copy of the repair invoice from ICOM that included the serial number of the radio he sold me.

Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
quote:

I don't think so. I have seen laptops, etc posted there. I will have to double check the rules. Selling Beef jerky would probably be frowned upon though. Big Grin

EDIT: The rules per Para..

Guys, if you transact business in this section, be it buying, selling or trading, we expect you to act honorably and to treat the other party or parties in your transaction as you wish to be treated.

The condition of items for sale or trade should be described in an accurate and honest fashion. Problems and flaws worthy of note should not be concealed. A lie by omission is still a lie.

Parties to a transaction should agree on details of the transaction before money or merchandise changes hands.

Buyers should send payment promptly. To my mind, this means payment should be received by the seller within seven days after an agreement is struck, unless other arrangements have been made and agreed upon by both parties.

Sellers should ship merchandise promptly. To me, this means shipment within seven days after payment is received, unless other arrangements have been made and agreed upon by both parties.

Response to queries by the other party should be prompt. Responses to emails should be made within 24 hours, unless mitigating circumstances exist.

lbj and I expect everyone who uses this section to, quite simply, do the right thing, and I believe we all know what that is when it comes to matters where money and property are involved.

It is the policy of SIGforum to publish the names and addresses of those who do not fulfill their part of any agreement made between buyer and seller, as a warning to all members of the board. Needless to say, anyone who ends up like that in this forum will have their posting rights revoked.

Pay quickly, ship quickly, respond to emails quickly, be open and honest in your dealings here, or conduct your business elswhere.

Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
Avoid eBay for such items. I have bought and sold hundreds, if not thousands of items on eBay. However, last year I got screwed and will never sell a valuable item on there again.

I have a brand new in box Garmin Rino GPS, ~$350 new. I had pictures of the unit, with a partial serial # and pictures of the box. I sold it, got paid, shipped it. Then the buyer claimed it was used...it was not. He sent me back a DIFFERNT Rino GPS. Same model, but upon close examination I could see it was different.

He swore it was the same unit. I even contacted the local police, provided them with pictures of both units with a description of what was different to back up my story. The Police made a surprise visit to his house. They were unable to get him to admit he was scamming me. the police went out of their way to help me, but it was a he said/she said situation.

I provided all of this to eBay and they didn't care. they took the buyers side and screwed me. I had already pulled the money out of my Paypal account (linked to a checking account I have, but never keep more than a few dollars in). My only options were to either have them yank my eBay account (created in 1998 and hundreds of positive feedbacks), or give them back the money. In the end I gave them back the money, but it left a very sour taste in my mouth.

I still have the GPS unit the scammer sent me. I have not sold it.

My wife still sells clothes our kids have outgrown, but that's about it. I'll never sell a valuable piece on eBay again.

Posts: 5765 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

No- There's salt and pepper mills listed.

I's be interested in any Audio tubes. 12AX7, EL84, ECC83......

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13406 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Another site you might try is:
https://www.ar15.com/forums/outdoors/Ham_Radios/22/
Good folks there also.

The “POLICE"
Their job Is To Save Your Ass,
Not Kiss It

The muzzle end of a .45 pretty much says "go away" in any language - Clint Smith

Posts: 2892 | Location: See der Rabbits, Iowa | Registered: June 12, 2007Report This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
Another option is QRZ.com.

Posts: 11859 | Registered: October 26, 2009Report This Post
Never miss an
opportunity to STFU
posted Hide Post
SALES ADS GO IN CLASSIFIEDS. ALL SALES ACTIVITY SHOULD BE IN CLASSIFIEDS ****ONLY****

This message has been edited. Last edited by: parabellum,

Posts: 2294 | Location: SE Mich-- USA | Registered: September 10, 2002Report This Post