SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Bombardment of emails
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bombardment of emails Login/Join 
I made it so far,
now I'll go for more
Picture of rbert0005
posted
What’s up with these emails of late?
Most of them say “please think of the environment before you print this “?

I am getting them by the dozens lately. I mean 60 or 70 daily.
Any Ideas on how to get rid of them?

They don’t even have a link to unsubscribe.

Bob

I am no expert, but think I am sometimes.

Posts: 4581 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: January 23, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am also getting bombarded. It appears that if mark them as spam, but do not open them, the numbers decrease. Do not bother unsubscribing, if it was possible, as the number of emails would increase.

-c1steve

Posts: 4061 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
On Apple devices you can click on the sender to get their email address and then click on block this sender. It takes a while but the number of spam emails should decrease.

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6331 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Sounds like you may have been compromised or your email address got published somehow.

The very least you can do right now is change your password to something more complex and a mix of upper, lower case, numbers and characters and make it a phrase like St0PsP@MM1nGm3##

You could also try a service like UnRollMe

Back before I quit Reddit, I could always tell when I pissed someone off because I’d get a flood of spam email on the email associated with the Reddit account, those fuckers would get your email and just flood it with junk.

Posts: 33834 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
My generic Gmail account goes through cycles of getting bombarded with hordes of spam for a month or two, and then minimal spam for 6-12 months, then another big flood.

As mentioned, don't bother trying to click the Unsubscribe links, as that just notifies the spammers that it's an active email account and will result in even more spam.

Instead, use your account's built-in spam flagging and blocking processes to weed them out.

Posts: 32532 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
The very least you can do right now is change your password to something more complex and a mix of upper, lower case, numbers and characters and make it a phrase like St0PsP@MM1nGm3##
That would accomplish exactly nothing to mitigate the flood of spam/scam emails he's getting.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Yep. These are spam messages that are being sent to their email address. Not spam messages that are emanating from their hacked email address.

All it takes to send a spam email to someone is to know their email address. (Just like you sending a non-spam email to someone else.) It is not at all indicative that the password to their email account has been compromised.

Spammers use software to scrape the internet for publicly available email address, and compile them into massive lists, which are then fed into their spamming software. And they share them, so once your email address makes it on a spam list, it will forever be on spam lists.

Posts: 32532 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I get some spam on my Mac, but the McAfee email to resubscribe to stop other ads "Your McAfee protection ended yesterday" is getting crazy.

I got three today already. I've blocked all the senders (there are at least three dirtbags sending me this stuff), but, somehow, these emails still get through.

Funny, I never, ever, had McAfee for anything-and never will.

Bob

Posts: 1576 | Location: TampaBay | Registered: May 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of steve495
posted Hide Post
quote:
Spammers use software to scrape the internet for publicly available email address, and compile them into massive lists, which are then fed into their spamming software. And they share them, so once your email address makes it on a spam list, it will forever be on spam lists.

This ^^^

Never post your email anywhere it can be "scraped" and shared. (This generally does not apply to having your email address available on a forum like this, where registrant information is only available to other registered members when logged in.)

My clients have occasionally posted an email address in a news post or on their website. Although I counseled them not to do it, they do it occasionally. Then months later, they contact me about getting hundreds of spam emails in their box in a matter of a few hours. I searched the site, and sure enough, they posted that employee's email address for some reason. A few times, we just gave up, killed the email address, and created a new one. (I counsel clients to use web forms with hidden fields and recaptcha, which limits spam to almost zero.)

Steve

Small Business Website Design & Maintenance - https://spidercreations.net | OpSpec Training - https://opspectraining.com | Grayguns - https://grayguns.com

Evil exists. You can not negotiate with, bribe or placate evil. You're not going to be able to have it sit down with Dr. Phil for an anger management session either.

Posts: 4992 | Location: Windsor Locks, Conn. | Registered: July 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post