SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Auto accident question
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Auto accident question Login/Join 
posted
Assume you are out of town for vacation and your car gets damaged. Not enough to total, but enough that it is not able to be driven home. What would you do ?
Rent a car and come back when yours is repaired ?
Stay in a hotel for a month while your car is getting repaired ?
I am not in this situation, but looking for ideas

Posts: 1403 | Registered: November 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
I'd call my insurance company and ask the adjuster what my options are under the policy.

Ideally, my damaged vehicle would be taken via flatbed back to a garage of my choice at home while I arranged other transportation (i.e., one-way rental). If the policy didn't cover those expenses, I'd have to make a decision based on what coverage was available and then a decision about what insurer to switch to when I got back.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16270 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diablo Blanco
Picture of dking271
posted Hide Post
Typically, it’s cheaper for the insurance company to have the car repaired closer to the accident and have you continue on with a rental. That’s how my neighbors were forced to deal with hitting a deer on the interstate 6 hours away from home. My guess would be the options will be limited to the specific policy in force at the time of the accident.

As much as I would like my body shop to handle the repairs given the choice, I’d probably leave my car behind. In finding a body shop up to my standards, I would see where the Porsche/Mercedes/BMW dealers send their clients for body work. Things like owning an aluminum skinned vehicle, possibly mechanical repairs, or possible frame damage would weigh heavily on any decisions.

Posts: 2959 | Location: Middle-TN | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
It depends on the laws in the state in which the accident happened, some states are no-fault, some Tort, regarding medical portion of the claims, also depends on who's at-fault, who's insurance is paying the claim, can also depend on the policy, it's provisions and any optional coverage you may have elected.

Some policies have rental car coverage built into the provisions, others, no. So if you are at fault it's your policy provisions that rule, if it's the other person, their policy provisions, if a no fault state, your insurance takes care of you, theirs takes care of them.

First thing is to get the claim started, have an adjuster look at the car to see if it's repairable, then discuss towing the vehicle to your local area where they will designate a body shop for the repairs.

You can choose to do whatever you want, but the carrier and the contract provisions determine the rules.

If they say repair it in St Louis and you live in KCMO, then if you want it done in KCMO you may have to pay to transport it there if they don't agree to do so, or only cover first 50 miles or so.

Same for shop used, type of parts etc, policy provisions rule, so if you don't have a rider that allows OEM parts, your contract may specify aftermarket, to get OEM you get to pay the difference, again provisions and statues.

You'll need to see who's at fault, who's insurance is paying, and then, what the provisions allow.

PD claims = zero legal assistance without expense, Injury claims, every Civil attorney within 100 miles will run to your door...

Posts: 23447 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
drive it home if it's safe to do so

---------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of IntrepidTraveler
posted Hide Post
This actually happened to me.

I work in SC, and went up to PA to visit my daughter right before Christmas a few years back. We went downtown to see the Charlie Brown Christmas Tree, then back to her house. I got up the next morning, packed up, went outside to head back to SC, and - no car!!!

Well, it seems someone hit the car, and the city had it towed. I ended up renting a car (insurance paid), and it was repaired in PA. I picked it up and returned the car when it was ready. Got another visit with daughter to boot.

Thus the metric system did not really catch on in the States, unless you count the increasing popularity of the nine-millimeter bullet.
- Dave Barry

"Never go through life saying 'I should have'..." - quote from the 9/11 Boatlift Story (thanks, sdy for posting it)

Posts: 3299 | Location: Carlsbad NM/ Augusta GA | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks.
I keep getting optimistic we will travel, but something is always coming up. Usually it is medical

Posts: 1403 | Registered: November 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
Fixing the car there and renting a car is probably the best choice, depending on whose fault it was (your or their insurance paying) and, on your part, the type (paid outright or reimbursed) and amount of rental car coverage. My own is covered up to $30 a day, but this is outdated, since I hear rentals cost more now.

Posts: 27952 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
It wasn't wrecked but my new Dodge Durango with 3,500 miles shit the engine 300 miles from home. Dodge agreed to rent a car for me and 30 days later I drove back to get my Dodge. Last Dodge.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4224 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
If you have a really good shop close to home and want to use it, I might pay a transporter to take the car there. Warrantee repairs would be much easier that way.

Posts: 6661 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post