SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    So You Think Your Job Is Rough.....1999 Foot Tower Climb
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

So You Think Your Job Is Rough.....1999 Foot Tower Climb Login/Join 
Never miss an opportunity
to be Batman!
Picture of jsbcody
posted
I know similar have been posted before, but I don't recall seeing this one:

Whoever designed those climbing pegs to slide your safety hook needs to go back to the drawing board. I couldn't do this even at gunpoint. The only way I could even come close to doing that job is with a freaking parachute on

This message has been edited. Last edited by: jsbcody,

Posts: 3926 | Location: St.Louis County MO | Registered: October 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
That is a scarey climb right there. No way, no how. I will just stay down on earth thank you.. Big Grin. You can hear cows mooing down below.

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DeadHead
Picture of two-two-niner-romeo
posted Hide Post
Yeah, there's not enough money on planet Earth to get me to go up there. Nope nope nope. I understand the gravity of the situation all too well. Eek

"Being miserable and treating other people like dirt is every New Yorker's God-given right!" - GhostBusters II

"You have all the tools you need. Don't blame them. Use them." - Dan Worrall

Posts: 1902 | Location: Putnam County, NY | Registered: May 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of creslin
posted Hide Post
I've done that.
We had to hang an antenna on the underside of a platform WAAAAAAYYYY up in the air (about 2000ft).
I had to clip my harness off to the platform, then dangle underneath holding this antenna while we bolted it on.
Not fun.
Don't wanna do it again lol.

This is where my signature goes.

Posts: 1540 | Location: Kernersville, NC | Registered: June 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
After 75 feet or so does it matter anymore.

Posts: 3906 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Its not the fall that is the issue, but the sudden stop is Eek

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19158 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
Dang tower gets skinnier as you go up. This is a job for a elevator and a robot.

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
"Damn, I know that light bulb was in my pocket when I got out of the truck."

Posts: 4009 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an opportunity
to be Batman!
Picture of jsbcody
posted Hide Post
"What do you mean you didn't bring the Phillips head screwdriver?"

Posts: 3926 | Location: St.Louis County MO | Registered: October 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
Was he getting text messages while up top? Big Grin.

Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted Hide Post
How the hell do they even build a tower like that???

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
One word--OH HELL NO!!!

Posts: 56 | Registered: January 12, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
I’d do it!

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oat_Action_Man:
How the hell do they even build a tower like that???

In sections, with subsequent sections lowered from helicopters and bolted on by riggers like the guy in the video.

There's a video of an antenna installation atop a local station's tower that way. If I think of it, I'll see if I can find it tomorrow.

Used to be heights didn't much bother me. Now? Uh uh. Nope.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Low Profile Member
posted Hide Post
NO NO NO NO NO
just watching the vid gives me the shivers

Posts: 3529 | Registered: August 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Trophy Husband
Picture of C L Wilkins
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:
Its not the fall that is the issue, but the sudden stop is Eek

Deceleration trauma.

Posts: 3200 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not as lean, not as mean,
Still a Marine
Picture of Gibb
posted Hide Post
Would it be easier for the worker to be delivered to the top via helicopter (like the aerial line workers are)?

Just thinking about fatigue related mistakes or tool management.

I shall respect you until you open your mouth, from that point on, you must earn it yourself.

Posts: 3352 | Location: Southern Maine | Registered: February 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
You can hear the pulsing EM rad. The beacon lighting. My brother used to do this shit. Still runs a crew. We're told he doesn't climb anymore. It takes a special kind of crazy. Which he is.

I do believe I would be less afraid with the cloud deck below.

Posts: 11377 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by two-two-niner-romeo:
I understand the gravity of the situation all too well. Eek

I see what you did there. Smile

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10782 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
I got vertigo just watching the video. The cloud deck didn't help me. I have no idea how people manage to do that.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12422 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post