SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Shipping a Vehicle Cross-Country
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Shipping a Vehicle Cross-Country Login/Join 
Picture of Rev. A. J. Forsyth
posted
Does anyone here have any experience with the cross-country shipment of vehicles? I need to get a Dodge Ram 2500 from Nevada to CT.

Posts: 1639 | Location: Winston-Salem  | Registered: April 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've had two brand new Tahoes shipped from Texas to Iowa. I had zero problem experiences both times, but I think there's a lot of room for there to be issues. Generally you go and contract somebody to move the vehicle, who subcontracts it to someone else who might subcontract it again. I got a big "we use our own trucks" pitch from the shipper I contracted and both times they used a third party.

There are a bunch of sites where you can request quotes. Pick something not quite eat the bottom and the odds are you'll be fine.

Oh, and consider setting up a dummy email. They're going to sell the shit out of your information. I used a dummy email and a Google voice phone number and probably got 100 emails and 20 phone calls on a week. Tapered off quickly.

Posts: 5164 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of reloader-1
posted Hide Post
Yes.

Done it several times, I prefer using uShip.com and read reviews carefully.

Posts: 2325 | Location: S. FL | Registered: October 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cne32507
posted Hide Post
I shipped from FL to NV using Cars Arrive. They contract with a network of wrecker yards that can be convenient: you can either drop your car off or they will send a roll-on tow. Same at the receiving end. You don't have to wait for a delivery.

Posts: 2520 | Location: High Sierra & Low Desert | Registered: February 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
We've done it a few times with our race cars.
The biggest decision you want to make first is do you want an open trailer (cheaper) or do you want an enclosed van. (more expensive but more secure as well.)

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6327 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rinehart
posted Hide Post
Get a number of prices, also. Some of the quotes will make your eyes bulge out...
Once you get all of the estimates look at the range in prices. You won't believe it.

Posts: 1507 | Location: PA | Registered: March 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of UTsig
posted Hide Post
We shipped two cars from NJ to UT, no problem. We opted for an enclosed trailer, it was in January.
Cars arrived on time in perfect condition.

"Nature scares me" a quote by my friend Bob after a rough day at sea.

Posts: 3401 | Location: Utah's Dixie | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mutiny
posted Hide Post
I've used Reliable Carriers Inc for VA-CA, and Intercity for NY-NV. Both were professional, no issues and everything arrived in perfect condition.

Posts: 479 | Location: Out West | Registered: January 14, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
We shipped two cars from NJ to UT, no problem. We opted for an enclosed trailer, it was in January.

What was the company name? Everything that I'm seeing online is a brokerage that hires whomever can fog a mirror.

Posts: 1639 | Location: Winston-Salem  | Registered: April 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
Used Dependable Auto Shippers to get three cars across the country when we moved from CA to NC back in 2007. They did a very good job. Was about $1100 ea as I recall, but that was 11 1/2 years ago.

Posts: 15033 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks fellas. Once more into the breach, once more...

Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
DaBigBR wasn’t kidding about a disposable email address and I’d add a disposable phone number as well. (There are Burner apps for this.)

YEARS after I was looking into this for a family member, I still get calls every so often.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16270 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
We've studied this on the forum a half-dozen times. The summary of the replies is
(a)the originator lucks out and finds a SF member who will drive the vehicle personally from-to and fly back
(b)the originator chooses an expensive but reputable service (Horseless, Reliable, Intercity, ... )

The reviews of all the reputable companies include both horror stories (like mine) and trouble-free service.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5054 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of UTsig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rev. A. J. Forsyth:
quote:

What was the company name? Everything that I'm seeing online is a brokerage that hires whomever can fog a mirror.

I'll have to look for the name, we delivered the cars to them and picked them up in Las Vegas at a tow yard. The cars were unloaded and clean when we got them, pretty impressive. It would have been a whole lot more money to have door to door service. I know it was $1200.00 ea and that was 14 years ago.

"Nature scares me" a quote by my friend Bob after a rough day at sea.

Posts: 3401 | Location: Utah's Dixie | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post