SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    It’s looking like the new Suzuki Hayabusa that is due out this year won’t be a clean sheet design
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

It’s looking like the new Suzuki Hayabusa that is due out this year won’t be a clean sheet design Login/Join 
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted
Multiple sources are claiming that Suzuki decided to shelve their clean sheet and completely redesigned Hayabusa they were working on due to the impact of this crap virus. It seems their new plan is to refine the current 2nd generation Hayabusa, tweak the engine and exhaust, change the appearance a bit and add various rider aids. Yeah, it is certainly possible the sources claiming this are incorrect or have been tricked by Suzuki. I hope this is the case.

I suppose you don’t have to redesign everything but I was really hoping that the bike got a serious refresh. When Kawasaki is selling a supercharged bike that can beat super cars and even a F1 car in a drag race I wonder if a refined Hayabusa will be enough to keep people interested? Then again this bike has been rumored to be “released sometime next quarter” for a few years now. I’m inclined to believe we will see a new Hayabusa or at the very least see some actual info from Suzuki on this subject sometime this year. Euro emission regs destroyed Suzuki’s line up. At some point they are going to have to do something. A refresh makes sense. Maybe Suzuki feels like even more stringent regs are on the horizon? In such a scenario it makes sense to save money and refresh a bike rather than start from scratch only to find themselves in the same situation a few years down the road. This is a company that it seems doesn’t like to change until they absolutely have to.

From an October 2022 article:
“What’s new?
The 2021 Suzuki Hayabusa is not going to be a clean sheet design. Instead, the new motorcycle will emerge as a heavily improved version of the now defunct second gen model. The twin-spar aluminium frame is reported to be carried forward but with significant changes including latest Kayaba suspension system.

According to Japanese media, the new Busa’s engine will carry forward quite a few components from the previous iteration but will have a larger displacement of around 1,440 cc. The larger displacement has now become a common technique for OEMs to comply with the Euro5 emission standards without having to forgo on power output. The new in-line four-cylinder, liquid-cooled motor is estimated to dish out around 200 hp just like the older unit but expect the torque and rideability to be improved.

The patent filings showed that the exhaust system, catalytic converters in particular, will undergo significant upgrade to tackle the stringent emission norms.”

Link to article

The current Hayabusa

A rendered version of what the next one might look like with GSX-R1000 styling cues.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21125 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The new motorcycle choices pose a serious problem for me: which 200+ horsepower machine should I purchase?

No quarter
.308/.223

Posts: 2085 | Location: Central Florida.  | Registered: March 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
Yes. Would this be a good "starter bike" for someone who has never ridden before?

Posts: 6507 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My buddy had a Busa. I tried it out. You dont ride it, you wear it. Too much ball for my alley.
And for those of you who own one, what is the going rate for insurance?

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16120 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
tleddy, Believe it or not that might be part of the issue. It’s down on power for such a large engine. With the latest batch of 999cc super bikes now making the same power or more than the Hayabusa the bike sort of faces an existential crisis. It isn’t perceived as the wild ballistic missile it once was because the thousand cc super bikes caught up to it in performance while being much lighter and sporting far more rider aids and the latest technology. Being a large slightly more comfortable sport tourer is about all the mighty Hayabusa has going for it other than it’s reputation. For a long time even non motorcycle people knew of the Hayabusa. Suzuki needs to find a way for that to continue.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Posts: 21125 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A man's got to know
his limitations
Picture of hberttmank
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by architect:
Yes. Would this be a good "starter bike" for someone who has never ridden before?

No, I don't think this is a good starter bike.

"But, as luck would have it, he stood up. He caught that chunk of lead." Gunnery Sergeant Carlos Hathcock

Posts: 9369 | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
It’s not an ideal starter bike because of its weight. I probably would have been fine with one. I respected my first bikes power and took a long time before I sold it on the quest for more power. Starting with a Hayabusa would let you skip the part where you get bored and want to upgrade. Big Grin The 2nd Gen has three different power settings to try to ease you into the power of the bike. If you’re a beginner though it’s not a suitable replacement for the skills and experience you gain from a less powerful bike.

2nd Gen power modes:

A - you get the throttle your right wrist asks for

B - secondary throttle valves don't open as wide as the cable controlled throttle valves until you hit wide open throttle

C - secondary throttles never open as wide as the cable controlled ones

Something in the 400-750 category is probably better for beginners.

Yamaha seems to have taken notice of the success and publicity the supercharged Kawasaki H2 & H2R have generated. new patents show Yamaha getting serious on turbocharged bikes.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Picture of fwbulldog
posted Hide Post
quote:

Posts: 3017 | Location: Round Rock | Registered: February 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:

Posts: 27998 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bunch of savages
in this town
Picture of ASKSmith
posted Hide Post
The legend of the Hayabusa started when Suzuki wanted to produce the world’s fastest production bike, which Suzuki accomplished. It was so fast, they set an ECU controlled speed of 186mph (300kmh), and a “gentleman’s agreement” was made that was the limit for mass produced motorcycles. Someone forgot to tell the other manufacturers, because not much longer, liter bikes were bypassing that record.

The Hayabusa is an evolution of motorcycles. It was designed in a wind tunnel to be as aerodynamic as possible. When they first came out, most people agreed they were ugly. But they had proven their point. They were even “neutered” from the factory that they would not produce full power in first and second gear (maybe third, but I can’t remember), and then full power and torque would kick in. Hayabusa in Japanese means Falcon, one of the fastest birds known to man.

It was never meant to keep up with lighter, more agile sport bikes. But in a straight line, few things can touch it. They still remain one of the most popular bikes for amateur and professional drag racers. I’d have to check, but I believe the world’s fastest streetbike is still held by a Hayabusa running 270mph+.

In the evolution of motorcycles, it is outdated. But it still is an amazing motorcycle. Off the showroom they are fast. Add in a supercharger, turbo, or nitrous, and they are hell on wheels.

Now I want one again...

-----------------
I apologize now...

Posts: 10552 | Registered: December 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
ASKSmith, excellent post! I’d like to clarify one fascinating detail. Hayabusa means “Peregrine Falcon” specifically, which was chosen for a two very good reasons. The Hayabusa or Peregrine Falcon is one of the fastest creatures on this planet and can reach a maximum speed of 240mph in a dive. Also, at that time the main competitor to Suzuki in the motorcycle top speed arms race was the Honda CBR1100XX Super Blackbird. In the wild Peregrine Falcons hunt and kill Blackbirds. Big Grin

Well played Suzuki.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

posted Hide Post
Your ex wife thinks it would be a good starter bike. lol

Posts: 7540 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:

Only if you turbo it first.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15372 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Since Kawasaki has a supercharger I was expecting the Hayabusa to come with a turbo to one up them. Maybe the next clean sheet design. I’ve never ridden one but I sure would love to.

Posts: 3930 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bunch of savages
in this town
Picture of ASKSmith
posted Hide Post
Stick, excellent analogy about the Blackbird. I do recall hearing that.

Many moons ago, my wife allowed me to buy another bike. At the time, a Hayabusa was $9999, out the door. Since I already had a street bike, I was contemplating a dual sport. But I didn’t want to deal with licensing and state inspections. So I got a Yamaha TTR-250, which culminated in my epic demise of 35 years of riding motorcycles. Several surgeries, and a deer or two killed by me on two wheels.

I’d love to own a Hayabusa. At one point it was the pinnacle of two wheeled technology. But I have a plan in motion. I finally got my V-Max, and my next and last bike will be a Honda GoldWing. Maybe I’ll add a supercharger or nitrous. You don’t see too many GoldWings hitting 186mph.

-----------------
I apologize now...

Posts: 10552 | Registered: December 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
Too much ball for my alley.
Amen brother. At my age ~100 HP is good.I no longer need any white knuckle flights or knee dragging excursions.
quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:
Suzuki needs to find a way for that to continue.
Well, there's always power adders. Razz Wink

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
Suzuki needs to revamp its entire motorcycle lineup. Us dual sport guys have been waiting, what, 20-25 years for a new DRZ400 or DR650. Is it too much to ask for fuel injection (over carburetor) and a 6th gear?

Posts: 6662 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In my younger days (!) I had a Bimota with the Suzuki one liter that was hot-rodded. Best guess around 175 hp. Ultra light weight scooter... even though I had raced a BOT BMW (without success) I was afraid of the Bimota - it would get you in over your head with the slightest twist of the wrist.

Now you can buy a 600 cc +/- bike with over 130 bhp (that they publish) off the showroom floor. My Norton in the 60s might (!) get 60 bhp on a good day - enough to win the Southwest States "C" Gas bike in 1967 (in a straight line).

[QUOTE]Originally posted by stickman428:
tleddy, Believe it or not that might be part of the issue. It’s down on power for such a large engine.

Me: Holy Crap!!!

No quarter
.308/.223

Posts: 2085 | Location: Central Florida.  | Registered: March 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Browndrake
posted Hide Post
That new Hayabusa just doesn’t do much for me. They used to carry a mystique, but there is just too much out there that goes stupid fast, that not only handles better, but looks better as well. I bought a 2016 Ducati Diavel this past summer. It checks all of the boxes for me. It was one of those bikes I could not appreciate until I rode it. Ducati engineering has got my respect.

Be on your guard; stand firm in the faith; be men of courage; be strong. Do everything in love.
- 1 Corinthians 16:13-14

Posts: 892 | Location: Southwest Michigan | Registered: March 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Out of morbid curiosity, I looked up the current Bimota - The Tesi H2:

https://www.cycleworld.com/sto...2020-bimota-tesi-h2/

If I come in to an extra six figures from any source, I may have to have one!

No quarter
.308/.223