SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Securing the TV remote.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Securing the TV remote. Login/Join 
posted
I have a 6yo boy who has lost the tv remote twice in the past 45 days. First remote is gone, no idea where it went. Second remote was lost after having it only six or 7 days. It took two weeks to find and only after a detailed search by four people.
Any ideas? I rigged something up real quick. It's ugly and uncomfortable to hold and hopefully easy enough to find when it gets lost again.

https://www.amazon.com/photos/...c1MbOioIlTYaFYCH2Fh3

Posts: 185 | Registered: July 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
Maybe a key finder attached to the remote?

https://www.amazon.com/Esky-Wi...id=1629050881&sr=8-8

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That's a good idea, That's why i ask the forum.
quote:
Originally posted by Flash-LB:
Maybe a key finder attached to the remote?

https://www.amazon.com/Esky-Wi...id=1629050881&sr=8-8

Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
Ya might oughta paint that board with bright fluorescent orange paint. 2 or 3 coats worth.

Good luck to ya.

Posts: 11858 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lkdr1989
posted Hide Post
Maybe attach a lanyard to it?

...let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one. Luke 22:35-36 NAV

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV

Posts: 4336 | Location: Valley, Oregon | Registered: June 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The first remote had a lanyard, still haven't found a clue as to where it ended up.

quote:
Originally posted by lkdr1989:

posted Hide Post
How about a secured tether? Attach one end to the underside of the table or table leg. The other end to the board you currently have zipped to the remote.

--Tom
The right of self preservation, in turn, was understood as the right to defend oneself against attacks by lawless individuals, or, if absolutely necessary, to resist and throw off a tyrannical government.

Posts: 1514 | Location: Lehigh County,PA-USA | Registered: February 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you see me running
try to keep up
Picture of mrvmax
posted Hide Post
I'd fix it by telling them once it is lost there will be no more TV.

Posts: 4122 | Location: Friendswood Texas | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mrvmax:

This or maybe tell him after he loses it and see how long it takes to find.
Never to early to start teaching things like this as he'll be asking you for the car keys before you know it.

Posts: 9528 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
It isn't down in that sofa, is it?

Posts: 27974 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Well it does look to big to flush down the toilet now Wink

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19206 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
Squirt him with a water bottle every time he touches it until he leaves it alone.

Just kidding of course. Check out Tile, they are a Bluetooth tracking chip vendor. Their promo video shows one of their devices attached to a TV remote at the 20 second mark.

https://youtu.be/AkYO_U0tV7g

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 220-9er:
quote:
Originally posted by mrvmax:

This or maybe tell him after he loses it and see how long it takes to find.
Never to early to start teaching things like this as he'll be asking you for the car keys before you know it.

This is what I did after the last time he lost the remote, no TV of any kind until found. The in-laws happened to be there and with four people searching it was found.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TXJIM:
Squirt him with a water bottle every time he touches it until he leaves it alone.

Just kidding of course. Check out Tile, they are a Bluetooth tracking chip vendor. Their promo video shows one of their devices attached to a TV remote at the 20 second mark.

https://youtu.be/AkYO_U0tV7g

I've used the spray bottle on him when he was smaller to leave dog/cat food alone. He's a good kid, both time the remote was lost he was unsupervised for long periods of time. On Saturday mornings my ex likes to sleep in until 11am/noontime. He normally awake by 730a and tends to himself until she gets up.

Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
The kid?

Posts: 107654 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
The black tie wrap should go in the middle...

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38695 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
quote:
The kid?

Hahahahahahahaha

Thanks! I needed that

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11294 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
Put one of those Apple air-thingies on it.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4234 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
I put velcro adhesive tape on the back of it and on the back of my TV set.

0-0

"OP is a troll" - Flashlightboy, 12/18/20

Posts: 12128 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Donate Blood,
Save a Life!
Picture of StarTraveler
posted Hide Post
Your current solution reminds me of a Service station that secured their restroom key by a short chain to a 2-1/2 to 3’ piece of broomstick handle to keep it from accidentally walking away or being carried off in someone’s pocket as had a number of previous keys. The guy at the counter said the broomstick method hadn’t failed in several years since they started using it. Make it big, make it stout, make it obvious.

Or get the Tile/key finder thing.

"Aut viam inveniam aut faciam (I will either find a way or make one)." -- Hannibal Barca

Posts: 2107 | Location: Georgia | Registered: July 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post