SIGforum
Securing the TV remote.

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/320601935/m/1710002484

August 15, 2021, 01:04 PM
jlruiztx32
Securing the TV remote.
I have a 6yo boy who has lost the tv remote twice in the past 45 days. First remote is gone, no idea where it went. Second remote was lost after having it only six or 7 days. It took two weeks to find and only after a detailed search by four people.
Any ideas? I rigged something up real quick. It's ugly and uncomfortable to hold and hopefully easy enough to find when it gets lost again.

https://www.amazon.com/photos/...c1MbOioIlTYaFYCH2Fh3
August 15, 2021, 01:08 PM
Flash-LB
Maybe a key finder attached to the remote?

https://www.amazon.com/Esky-Wi...id=1629050881&sr=8-8
August 15, 2021, 01:19 PM
jlruiztx32
That's a good idea, That's why i ask the forum.
quote:
Originally posted by Flash-LB:
Maybe a key finder attached to the remote?

https://www.amazon.com/Esky-Wi...id=1629050881&sr=8-8

August 15, 2021, 01:23 PM
OKCGene
Ya might oughta paint that board with bright fluorescent orange paint. 2 or 3 coats worth.

Good luck to ya.
August 15, 2021, 01:23 PM
lkdr1989
Maybe attach a lanyard to it?

...let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one. Luke 22:35-36 NAV

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV
August 15, 2021, 01:30 PM
jlruiztx32
The first remote had a lanyard, still haven't found a clue as to where it ended up.

quote:
Originally posted by lkdr1989:

August 15, 2021, 01:33 PM
TRIO
How about a secured tether? Attach one end to the underside of the table or table leg. The other end to the board you currently have zipped to the remote.

--Tom
The right of self preservation, in turn, was understood as the right to defend oneself against attacks by lawless individuals, or, if absolutely necessary, to resist and throw off a tyrannical government.
August 15, 2021, 01:52 PM
mrvmax
I'd fix it by telling them once it is lost there will be no more TV.
August 15, 2021, 03:27 PM
220-9er
quote:
Originally posted by mrvmax:

This or maybe tell him after he loses it and see how long it takes to find.
Never to early to start teaching things like this as he'll be asking you for the car keys before you know it.

August 15, 2021, 03:32 PM
egregore
It isn't down in that sofa, is it?
August 15, 2021, 03:33 PM
old rugged cross
Well it does look to big to flush down the toilet now Wink

"Practice like you want to play in the game"
August 15, 2021, 03:51 PM
TXJIM
Squirt him with a water bottle every time he touches it until he leaves it alone.

Just kidding of course. Check out Tile, they are a Bluetooth tracking chip vendor. Their promo video shows one of their devices attached to a TV remote at the 20 second mark.

https://youtu.be/AkYO_U0tV7g

August 15, 2021, 04:08 PM
jlruiztx32
quote:
Originally posted by 220-9er:
quote:
Originally posted by mrvmax:

This or maybe tell him after he loses it and see how long it takes to find.
Never to early to start teaching things like this as he'll be asking you for the car keys before you know it.

This is what I did after the last time he lost the remote, no TV of any kind until found. The in-laws happened to be there and with four people searching it was found.
August 15, 2021, 04:15 PM
jlruiztx32
quote:
Originally posted by TXJIM:
Squirt him with a water bottle every time he touches it until he leaves it alone.

Just kidding of course. Check out Tile, they are a Bluetooth tracking chip vendor. Their promo video shows one of their devices attached to a TV remote at the 20 second mark.

https://youtu.be/AkYO_U0tV7g

I've used the spray bottle on him when he was smaller to leave dog/cat food alone. He's a good kid, both time the remote was lost he was unsupervised for long periods of time. On Saturday mornings my ex likes to sleep in until 11am/noontime. He normally awake by 730a and tends to himself until she gets up.
August 15, 2021, 04:31 PM
parabellum
quote:
The kid?
August 15, 2021, 05:19 PM
6guns
The black tie wrap should go in the middle...

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>
August 15, 2021, 05:21 PM
MikeinNC
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
quote:
The kid?

Hahahahahahahaha

Thanks! I needed that

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker
August 15, 2021, 07:50 PM
mcrimm
Put one of those Apple air-thingies on it.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham
August 15, 2021, 08:16 PM
0-0
I put velcro adhesive tape on the back of it and on the back of my TV set.

0-0

"OP is a troll" - Flashlightboy, 12/18/20
August 15, 2021, 09:09 PM
StarTraveler
Your current solution reminds me of a Service station that secured their restroom key by a short chain to a 2-1/2 to 3’ piece of broomstick handle to keep it from accidentally walking away or being carried off in someone’s pocket as had a number of previous keys. The guy at the counter said the broomstick method hadn’t failed in several years since they started using it. Make it big, make it stout, make it obvious.

Or get the Tile/key finder thing.

"Aut viam inveniam aut faciam (I will either find a way or make one)." -- Hannibal Barca