SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    TV or Projector??
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

TV or Projector?? Login/Join 
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted
My home theater system is a touch dated which has been fine as our boys are still young and sitting and watching movies for enjoyable visuals and sound is not much of a priority.
But that is changing so it is time to step up a bit.
Going with the Sonos Premium Immersion Bundle with the Arc for Audio.
https://www.sonos.com/en-us/sh...d-set-arc-sub-one-sl
Will be using the X Box One S for all my streaming and 4K BluRays. I’ll likely end up getting a Series X eventually but that won’t matter I don’t think.

The room doubles as the media room and kids play area in the basement. So I want something as flat on the wall and as large as I can get. I have a 10’ foot high by 20’ wide wall for the screen/TV to go on. I can have 13’ of throw for a projector and 13’ of viewing distance.
Not much outside light to worry about.

Would you go with a TV or a Projector and which one?? Would like to come in under $3k for the Projector or TV.

Or do I just say screw it keep what I have and buy one of these?

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25429 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
My kids are grown and out of the house, so I'd just buy the Wilson Combat.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16524 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
TV or Gun, TV or Gun....

I'd probably opt for a newer with all the streaming and HDMI port 80+ inch flat screen over a projector.

Buddy built a theater room and put in a projector, it was a good add on to the house but the resolution on the projection wasn't as good as an average flat panel. This was 15 years ago though, maybe projectors are better.

Posts: 23484 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
My company is TIRED of buying projectors and replacing them regularly. All your conference rooms are base to us. What we are doing is installing 84 inch TV screens, with a new wireless video connection method. So, having seen projectors die and die and die over the years, I think TV is more reliable and simpler.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5054 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 4MUL8R:
My company is TIRED of buying projectors and replacing them regularly. All your conference rooms are base to us. What we are doing is installing 84 inch TV screens, with a new wireless video connection method. So, having seen projectors die and die and die over the years, I think TV is more reliable and simpler.
This. I have supported multiple clients who chose projectors for their conference rooms. Without exception, these turned out to be disasters requiring constant support and never making the customer happy with the quality, reliability, and cost.

But, if I were buying for myself...who cares about seeing a movie I've seen a dozen times before, I'm heading to the range!

Posts: 6487 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
If you intend on watching and playing video games entirely in a pitch dark room, then projector. You get bigger available screen sizes.

However, if you have family and ever intend to hang out as a family in the room, but not necessarily all watching a movie, then you want a flat panel. If there is a chance at all that the lights might be turned on in the room (e.g., you are playing a video game, but someone else is there reading a book or working on a puzzle or playing with toys), then a flat panel will have better contrast and black levels. Black levels are the true make or break for viewing experience and if you can't get your room black by turning off the lights, then the next best option will be the black viewing surface of a flat panel.

If you have the money, OLED will give you the best picture. However, in general, I never recommend buying the bleeding edge technology due to value proposition. I always buy the next best down from the top, and hardly ever regret it. Usually something like 90% of the performance for like 60% of the cost. In this case, QLED or similar rather than OLED would be my pick.

Posts: 13049 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by architect:
quote:
This. I have supported multiple clients who chose projectors for their conference rooms. Without exception, these turned out to be disasters requiring constant support and never making the customer happy with the quality, reliability, and cost.

But, if I were buying for myself...who cares about seeing a movie I've seen a dozen times before, I'm heading to the range!

To be fair, prior projector tech is pretty lousy. Projector bulbs, moving parts for cooling, etc. These days, laser projectors are pretty slick. You don't even have to mount the projector up high in the room anymore--they've got ultra short throw laser projectors that can project up right from in front of the viewscreen (or down from above the viewscreen)

Posts: 13049 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a QLED Sony and am thrilled with the picture. Almost every one that visits comments on how good the picture is. Mine is a 65 inch and works well in my slightly larger than average room.

The “POLICE"
Their job Is To Save Your Ass,
Not Kiss It

The muzzle end of a .45 pretty much says "go away" in any language - Clint Smith

Posts: 2891 | Location: See der Rabbits, Iowa | Registered: June 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
The Wilson would be nice and I’ll have one eventually but I really do want to start watching movies with great sound and video again.

quote:

What is this new wireless video connection? Sounds expensive.
But may save me some work if it is reliable.

————————————————

Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
If you are gaming, which it sounds like you are, most projectors have serious lag. We have an 86" LG and it has worked well. My kids' friends prefer it to projection because of the lag.

Posts: 12469 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
The Wilson would be nice and I’ll have one eventually but I really do want to start watching movies with great sound and video again.

quote:

What is this new wireless video connection? Sounds expensive.
But may save me some work if it is reliable.

When we moved into our office in 2013, we put TVs in both conference rooms in lieu of projectors.

We just recently added Barco devices to both.
It's a USB device on the computer side & a HDMI receiver on the TV side.

Very little lag, but they are pretty pricey, IIRC. And I'm not sure if they project audio too.

Edit, I think we have the C10. 1200 on Amazon Eek

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15343 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mark60
posted Hide Post
I've got a Panasonic projector with over a thousand hours on it in the exercise/media room and it's been flawless. Flat screen prices have come down but still can't compete with my 11' wide screen.

Posts: 3459 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BB61:
If you are gaming, which it sounds like you are, most projectors have serious lag.

Little to no gaming. I have had the XBOX One S pretty much since it’s release and doubt I have 2 hours of game playing on it.
It’s a fantastic streaming unit that is capable of 4K both digital and physical media. And the ability to play games on occasion.
But all the games have become so complex I have lost pretty much all interest.

And we are terrible parents and don’t let the kids play video games.

————————————————

Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
In a home, TV over projector all day.

In a hotel ballroom with 100-500 people, of course projectors.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16709 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
I retired out of a business doing Situation Rooms for Homeland Security and a ton of Silicon Valley companies.

We were almost 100% projector based for a long time, but began switching over to TVs around 10 years ago or so. We even used them to make a video wall.

Now, projectors are almost unheard of in Situation Rooms.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not all who wander
are lost.
Picture of JohnV
posted Hide Post
You’ll love the Sonos system. That’s exactly what I have. And I have several of the One’s and a Move scattered around the house. I don’t know anything about projectors, however I do know that LG OLED TV’s are phenomenal.

Posted from my iPhone.

Posts: 4313 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: February 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JohnV:
You’ll love the Sonos system. That’s exactly what I have. And I have several of the One’s and a Move scattered around the house. I don’t know anything about projectors, however I do know that LG OLED TV’s are phenomenal.

Father in law has the original bar, sub, and multiple 5s for the rears.
It’s sounds amazing, setup was simple, and only need power wires for the rears.
Probably could build a far better sounding traditional system with receiver but at a much higher price tag and hassle.

————————————————

Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
We recently bought a new vacation house near Asheville and one of the main attractions is a dedicated media room that was set up by a professional sound engineer. Don’t ask me what’s included as it is in a rack system almost 6 feet high but the TV is an 8K Samsung OLED and the picture is fantastic, better than anything I’ve ever seen. Of course you need a blue ray player to get that kind of resolution.
The room itself is about 20’ by 16’.

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6324 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smlsig:
We recently bought a new vacation house near Asheville and one of the main attractions is a dedicated media room that was set up by a professional sound engineer. Don’t ask me what’s included as it is in a rack system almost 6 feet high but the TV is an 8K Samsung OLED and the picture is fantastic, better than anything I’ve ever seen. Of course you need a blue ray player to get that kind of resolution.
The room itself is about 20’ by 16’.

Is there even much 8k content out there?
I am still rocking 1080P have not made the jump to 4K.

————————————————