SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Non-Chinese Filson “type” clothes
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Non-Chinese Filson “type” clothes Login/Join 
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted
So I was about to order a jacket from the Filson website but noticed it said “imported”. The FAQ section states some of their items come from China. I’m not stupid, just disappointed. I use to love flipping through the Filson catalog when it came in the mail. Is there a similar company that makes their items here? Or at least not in china? I have no problem paying for quality but a Chinese jacket shouldn’t cost $300,400 and up. Where should I look?

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 7004 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Try Stormy Kromer. And Ebay for vintage Filson, Woolrich, and Pendleton.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16120 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
Try Stormy Kromer.

Thanks!

Posts: 7004 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Fjälräven. Spendy but quality outerwear. You can find sale items.

Posts: 13301 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
All those companies have 'domestic' or, non-China made products, it's an Easter Egg hunt though. Filson's Seattle flagship store would have stuff displayed as 'home made' styles, look out the window onto the shop floor and see the workers assembling items on the line, I believe it was mainly belts, luggage and some of the classic items like their cruiser coats.

Posts: 14688 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you want as close to 100% American made that you can possibly get right now then look at Weatherwool. It’s very pricey and sometimes you will have to wait a bit to get what you want (they are a small operation) but they source everything from American companies and use them to make their stuff here. I had to wait almost 2 years but I finally got a hoodie (they call it the hooded jacket) not too long ago. It’s top notch and extremely high quality.

Posts: 686 | Location: Milwaukee, WI | Registered: July 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys, I’m not opposed to items made outside the US, just do not want to spend that much on something from china.

posted Hide Post
I went through a Filson phase years back. Their cruisers are made in America. I ended up with 3 of them. It was kind of a funny story. I bought one local and loved it so much that I bought a different color one as well. It was taking forever so I called them and got some odd answers and waited some more. Then called again and talked to a very nice gentleman who explained that they were in the midst of changing their computer software and everything was jacked up. He asked quite specifically what I had ordered and said it was coming but it was not the Filson way to take so long so he sent me another Filson cruiser, the kind with the map or lunch pocket in back, for free. So about a week later both jackets arrived. Love them still although I don’t use them much in Florida anymore. Lol

Posts: 7540 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
I have a couple original Filson pieces, you can't wear them out, they're nuclear bomb proof, extremely protective, and you feel like a lumberjack wearing them. I'm sorry to hear they sold their souls to the devil.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8697 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you want a made in America wool jacket, Filson makes plenty of that. If you want the newer jackets they sell, they aren’t made here. The classic cruiser stuff is still made is America and all those things you describe. So technically they only sold part of their soul to the devil. Lol

Posts: 7540 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of abnmacv
posted Hide Post
Just bought new Filson work boots to replace a worn out pair. Those old boots lasted 25 years with 5 resoles of Vibram soles. Had a few stichs put in 5 years ago.. Longest lasting work-boots I ever owned. Did polish the regularly and coate them in Snow Seal regardless of the time of year to protect the leather. Sorry to hear they use China as a source.

U.S. Army 11F4P Vietnam 69-70 NRA Life Member

Posts: 1566 | Registered: June 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post