SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Recommendations for a brake line double-flare tool that isn't junk.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Recommendations for a brake line double-flare tool that isn't junk. Login/Join 
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Double flare gets folded over the first flare.

Like this:

Single flare is not to be used on brake lines - too much pressure.

Also when making brake lines, you will usually replace the entire section. They are almost always rusted for their entire length anyway. For the few that have some good (un-rusted) line left, and where you have room to work, it is permissible to use a union fitting, like this:

Never a compression fitting. They can't take the pressure either.

Posts: 27964 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Send me an email. I may still have a spare made in USA double flare set that is brand new but about 20 years old.

I never needed it after buying a loaded rollaway box that came with another set.

Posts: 922 | Location: Midwest | Registered: April 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by M1Garandy:
Send me an email. I may still have a spare made in USA double flare set that is brand new but about 20 years old.

I never needed it after buying a loaded rollaway box that came with another set.

E-mail sent. Thanks!

Posts: 8571 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by henryaz:

The main problem I had with the cheaper tools was the line slipping backwards when you applied pressure to form the flare. The MasterCool dies have circular ribs on the inside of the dies that form a sure grip on the line, and do not leave any marks or otherwise deform the line.

Look at that aspect of any tool you shop for, how does the die hold the line firmly without deforming it.

This is the key to a good flaring tool. Most of the tools that use one or two large wing nuts to clamp the tubing into the die are junk. The good tools use a much more secure method to clamp the tubing so it can't slip. I have one of the hydraulic Mastertool flaring tools that works well, but my go-to one for 37-degree AN flares is a Rol-Air from Aircraft Spruce. They are hideously expensive new, but I bought mine used about 20 years ago.

https://www.aircraft-tool.com/...etectCookieSupport=1

Rigid also makes a good one that is much cheaper. It only comes set up for single-flaring, but you can get an adapter mandrel to convert it to 45-degree double-flares.

Posts: 2485 | Location: WI | Registered: December 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blume9mm:
Can someone explain if there is a difference between the double flaring brake tool that is being discussed and a standard flaring tool like I use for copper gas lines?

As the picture above shows/explains it, but it is also a stronger flare. As a normal flare can easily split.

Posts: 10055 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post