SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What color are police car lights in your area?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What color are police car lights in your area? Login/Join 
Picture of vthoky
posted
Maybe I've lived in a sheltered world or something, but I'm used to the idea that the flashy-blinkies on police cars are blue, and those on fire/rescue vehicles are red.

Recently, the county next door has been equipping their new police cruisers with red lights in addition to the blues. This seems odd to me, but maybe only because I'm not used to it.

Is this normal? Common? Is my little rinky-dink area a bunch of emergency-vehicle weirdos?

What's the word, SF peeps?

Question:
What's normal in your 'hood?
Red? Blue? Both?

Choices:
Red
Blue
Both
My area is a bunch of weirdos
Other

God bless America.

Posts: 13483 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Red/Blue to my recollection here in TX.
Found it odd to see blue only in LA on our way home from Baton Rouge a few weeks ago.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15249 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do the next
right thing
Picture of bobtheelf
posted Hide Post
Red and blue in California. Blue only in Tennessee. Red only for non-police in both.

Posts: 3658 | Location: Nashville | Registered: July 23, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Blue Machine
Picture of Phred
posted Hide Post
Predominantly all blue here for LE. State law allows for LE to use yellow/red/white as supplemental to their blue lights. There are some “public safety” agencies here in SC that handle both police and fire services. They frequently have both red and blue lights on their vehicles.

Posts: 1626 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: February 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
Red and blue here in Utah except for Draper which is blue only.

Posts: 7724 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Red and blue in Wisco

Posts: 1702 | Registered: November 07, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted Hide Post
There are a number of township police agencies crowded into a small area here, so I can't speak for all of them, since I've not seen some of the local agencies with their lights on, but all the ones I've seen have been red and blue.

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
I’ve never seen anything except red and blue in Colorado. I actually thought that blue only was just a European practice. Long ago of course the only color seen on police cars was red, but that's not really the best color for emergency vehicles. It's hard to differentiate red on a police car from the countless taillights in some situations, not to mention even traffic lights. Plus, our eyes aren't as sensitive to red as to blue.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47394 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not as lean, not as mean,
Still a Marine
Picture of Gibb
posted Hide Post
Police - almost all are blue
Fire trucks - most all are red
Ambulance - most town run are mix blue/red, private run are red

Highway plow trucks are starting to mix green strobes with the amber, supposedly easier to see.

I shall respect you until you open your mouth, from that point on, you must earn it yourself.

Posts: 3352 | Location: Southern Maine | Registered: February 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
Florida, by statute - Police vehicles are blue, fire vehicles are red, ambulances are red and wreckers are amber.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12765 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
Minnesota: Blue passenger side, red driver's side on the light bar, blue and red in the grille (same as bar), Stop stick, amber arrow, blue and red on the ends (same as bar), any lights on the rear have to match the light bar, except flashing white, as in the reversing lights are permitted.

Fire trucks and EMS have to be the same if they want blue in the scheme, but the volunteer units tend to keep their light bars from truck to truck, so usually have all red.

Snow Plows have blue strobes front and rear, wreckers use amber or red, or a mix.

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In our county and the same with State Police, it’s the Blue Plate Special.

Posts: 5768 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Michigan State Police = red. Locals are either both colors or blue usually.

Posts: 17879 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It blew me away when I relocated from Cols OH to Richmond, VA and saw blue lights on LE vehicles.

Growing up in Cols, OH red was the only color I knew for LE.

Posts: 1836 | Location: In NC trying to get back to VA | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Where I lived and worked in NC, it was blue for police and red for fire/em s

Here in Texas it’s red and blue....but blue can be found on construction equipment and trucks so I guess blue is just an attention getter and the red is for LE/emergency

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11268 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bent but not broken
Picture of maddy345
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC:
Where I lived and worked in NC, it was blue for police and red for fire/em s

Here in Texas it’s red and blue....but blue can be found on construction equipment and trucks so I guess blue is just an attention getter and the red is for LE/emergency

The only department I’ve seen that isn’t blue only in NC is the Garner police which use both blue and red.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

God bless the Motor Life Boat and the men & women that run them!

Posts: 3955 | Location: Just out of reach | Registered: August 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
MSP is all red. Locals use red / blue.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16059 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
I've seen a multiplicity of color combinations here in S.E. Michigan.

The state cops use a single red "bubble" in the middle of the roof. I haven't seen one lit in a quite a while, but I would imagine they're strobes, now, rather than rotating beacons. Either way: They're still the same size, shape, and location they've been ever since I can remember.

The county and municipal cops use all manner of combinations of red, blue, and yellow. Blue is always there, and sometimes the only color, but I've seen it in combination with red and/or yellow. I think I might even have seen green used in combination with other colors?

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
I know when they're in my mirrors at 0300, they're hella bright!! Big Grin

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

Posts: 14032 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
There are 10 kinds of
people in this world
Picture of 686Owner
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ArtieS:
Florida, by statute - Police vehicles are blue, fire vehicles are red, ambulances are red and wreckers are amber.

Looks like some police are red and blue in FL.

Posts: 4599 | Location: KY | Registered: April 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post