SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What color are police car lights in your area?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What color are police car lights in your area? Login/Join 
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LS1 GTO:
I know when they're in my mirrors at 0300, they're hella bright!! Big Grin
I try very hard not to have them in my mirrors, any time of day!

I voted red and blue.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Giftedly Outspoken
Picture of sigarms229
posted Hide Post
In PA, marked vehicles have Red and Blue. Certain Fire Police vehicles (captains and deptartment owned can also use red/blue combo).

Unmarked police cars typically only have red but you might see red/blue combinations on occasion.

Fire Chiefs/EMS Chiefs and other emergency vehicles use Red only.

Volunteers Fire/EMS people can use a blue only (courtesy) lights but you don't have to pull over for them and they must obey all traffic laws.

Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six

Posts: 4507 | Location: SouthCentral PA | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
There are a few exceptions, but around here the police, fire trucks, ambulances, and tow trucks (running police work) all have red and blue lights.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15693 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Florida, by statute - Police vehicles are blue, fire vehicles are red, ambulances are red and wreckers are amber.

Tennessee is the same by state law. Postmen are clear flashing. Best system IMO as you always know.

If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit!

Sigs Owned - A Bunch

Posts: 4250 | Location: Nashville, Tennessee | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
In casual observation, blue for police, red for fire and ambulance.

Posts: 27834 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Depends on the department here.
They are either all blue or red and blue.

CALEA is the largest Law Enforcement accreditation agency in the country. To be accredited by them you have to run red and blue lights.
https://www.calea.org/

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25354 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ArtieS:
Florida, by statute - Police vehicles are blue, fire vehicles are red, ambulances are red and wreckers are amber.

Same in Arkansas.

Police could also run red lights in addition to blue, but I don't know of any agencies around here that do.

Posts: 32428 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 686Owner:

Looks like some police are red and blue in FL.

Weird. I read the statute and it made no mention of mixed red and blue.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12745 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
NE. Red and blue. The LEDs everyone runs have some white in them too. The snowplows and state road crews are throwing in green w/ the ambers and white now. The Hydrant Humpers are red, blue, and amber. Tow trucks amber and white which is the same as the city/county work crews.

I am 99.9% sure Chicago PD runs all blue.

Posts: 4022 | Registered: January 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ArtieS:
quote:
Originally posted by 686Owner:

Looks like some police are red and blue in FL.
Weird. I read the statute and it made no mention of mixed red and blue.
I'm pretty sure that I have seen red & blue here in Florida. I'll look again.

Two of the guys who rent / fly the Cessna in my hangar are Orange County Sheriff Deputies. They frequently drive their cop cars to the airport. I'll have a look next time one of them comes in. One of them is a mountie but he doesn't bring his horse to the airport. Wink

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30545 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
It's hard to tell when they are as blinding as the Sun. Four police cars at an intersection seven nights ago, one officer shining his flashlight into people's cars and yelling at them to go. I couldn't see him against the police cars' lights, so I have no clue if he's directing traffic or doing the Chicken Dance. The traffic light is red, so it's my turn to get yelled at and blinded with his flashlight on top of the flashing Sun lights. I roll my window down and tell him no one can see him. I get yelled at some more, so I wish Deputy Fife a good evening or was it Officer Fife, hard to tell when you can't see.

This was in Arcadia and I believe I saw blue and red flashers on the same vehicles, but again, being blinded, there could have been multiple vehicles parked side by side or something.

Posts: 10823 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
Here in south Miami they are red and blue.

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
Blue in the front, white in back, and blinding all over.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10472 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
It's hard to tell when they are as blinding as the Sun.

One of my pet peeves that so many of them seem totally oblivious to. And it’s not just emergency equipment that’s lighted that way either. Many of the nighttime road construction sites are lighted the same: they’re so bright and so poorly directed that it’s impossible to be sure we’re not about to run someone over, and then of course we will be at fault. And then there are the headlights these days that are capable of downing flying cicadas at 50 yards and the increasingly-popular illuminated billboards along our highways. Las Vegas definitely deserved the plague of locusts that their lights were recently blamed for.

Okay: back to red or blue.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live for today.
Tomorrow will
cost more
Picture of motor59
posted Hide Post
In NJ, just about all emergency services (Police, Fire, Rescue, Ambulance) run primarily red and blue, with some amber and white sometimes thrown in.

Solid blue is reserved for volunteer EMS and FD in their personal vehicles. Operators of those vehicles must obey all traffic regulations, but, unlike PA referenced above, other drivers must yield to them as they would any other authorized emergency vehicle, when their lights are on.

suaviter in modo, fortiter in re

Posts: 3138 | Location: Exit 7 NJ | Registered: March 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In Ohio, the state patrol runs all blue with the exception of 2 red flashers in the grill. Sheriff's Offices are required by statute to run red and blue. Local agencies do either.

There's a real science to lighting emergency vehicles. Blue lights tend to be more visible at night, red during the day; amber is most visible at all times. The Florida Highway Patrol did an extensive empirical study about a decade ago.

Our DOT vehicles run an interesting combination of amber, green and clear and tend to be visible in all sorts of weather conditions.

Posts: 632 | Registered: June 11, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:

They should have day time and night time modes. The brighter lights are good for use when it's light out, but blind people at that same level when it's dark.

Not only can you not see people when moving around those bright lights, but people also have a tendency to steer towards the lights when driving. Bad combination.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15693 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
My last squad (2018) automatically stepped the lights down in brightness when it was placed in park. That said, when you are on a rural highway miles from the nearest streetlight, anything is blinding.

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by a1abdj:
quote:

They should have day time and night time modes. The brighter lights are good for use when it's light out, but blind people at that same level when it's dark.

Not only can you not see people when moving around those bright lights, but people also have a tendency to steer towards the lights when driving. Bad combination.

The better setups do have day and night modes, sometimes controlled by photocells. They also have different settings for pursuit, stops, blocking traffic et cetera. Some of our newer units killed the LEDs by the driver's position when in park to not blind the deputy when conducting stops.

Unfortunately, like most things in policing, budgets typically rule out the higher-end units.

I can recall starting out in the early 80's when my first cruiser had a single blue rotator centered on the roof. Needless to say, we didn't blind too many people, unlike today.

Posts: 632 | Registered: June 11, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Looks like red and blue are common here in Pennsylvania

Posts: 33606 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post