SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    what is this?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

what is this? Login/Join 
california
tumbles into the sea
posted
The circular storage tank (bottom portion?) with skeletal like the frame extending upward - just to the left of the crane.

What is it?

I see them in many old films (lots of black & white Japanese silent (and sound) Ozu films) This pic is from a 2017 London documentary.

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
It’s a storage tank, for air. In case pressure gets too low. Sometimes used to maintain pressure in footballs.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:
It’s a storage tank, for air. In case pressure gets too low.
What is the frame above it for? Must be an overseas thing. I don't think I've seen them in U.S. locales.

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of reloader-1
posted Hide Post
Those are gas holders/gasometers.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Oval_Gasholders

Posts: 2328 | Location: S. FL | Registered: October 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by reloader-1:
Those are gas holders/gasometers.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Oval_Gasholders
Thanks!

Yokel
Picture of ontmark
posted Hide Post
Yup

What reloader-1 said

Natural Gas holding tanks.

http://americanfilmnoir.com/page21.html

Beware the man who only has one gun. He probably knows how to use it! - John Steinbeck

Posts: 3878 | Location: Vallejo, CA | Registered: August 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:
It’s a storage tank, for air. In case pressure gets too low. Sometimes used to maintain pressure in footballs.

Razz

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31510 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Who Woulda
Ever Thought?
posted Hide Post
I've also seen big storage tanks that the sides were rigid and the top floated up down as needed.

Posts: 6587 | Registered: August 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Texas Bob C.:
I've also seen big storage tanks that the sides were rigid and the top floated up down as needed.

Most crude oil storage tanks have a floating roof design.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30510 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ontmark:
Yup

What reloader-1 said

awesome link there.

california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
quote:
Originally posted by Texas Bob C.:
Most crude oil storage tanks have a floating roof design.
Thanks. Tank moves up and down the frame depending on capacity.

Found an Ozu film with one in the background.

Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ontmark:
Yup

What reloader-1 said

Yep. In the 1940s and 1950s I saw lots of them in Detroit, Michigan.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There is one along hwy 40 in St. Louis.

Posts: 693 | Location: E. Central Missouri | Registered: January 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
was reading the older ones held coal gas. present day they hold natural gas.

gas holder, or gasometer

Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
there were a few off of 95 in Richmond,

not sure if any are still there,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10448 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post