SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    I just spilled a full quart of Minwax Dark Walnut oil-based stain on my driveway.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I just spilled a full quart of Minwax Dark Walnut oil-based stain on my driveway. Login/Join 
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Krazeehorse:
Great excuse to buy an old panhead now. You have the perfect place to park it.

I've got nothing after that.

Posts: 7347 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Team Apathy
posted Hide Post
Ergh.

It looks a bit worse than I realized. Think pressure washing would do any good at this point?

Posts: 6360 | Location: Modesto, CA | Registered: January 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by thumperfbc:
Ergh.

It looks a bit worse than I realized. Think pressure washing would do any good at this point?

Just taking a shot here, but maybe apply some mineral spirits, let it sit for a bit, maybe scrub with a brush then pressure wash? Not sure if that would be safe for the concrete, though.

"I, however, place economy among the first and most important republican virtues, and public debt as the greatest of the dangers to be feared." Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 1538 | Location: Hartford, AL | Registered: April 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
drop and give me
20 pushups
posted Hide Post
Been there and got the t-shirt....20 + yrs ago Spilt a quart can worth of same Minwax dark walnut stain on a multi dark marble like stone floor in a commercial office during a late night work session.. Immedately used a padded shipping blanket to wipe the floor.. no damage. no lasting marks. was very lucky nobody saw anything... did not get caught. .................. drill sgt.

Posts: 1996 | Location: denham springs , la | Registered: October 19, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SigSentry
posted Hide Post
Leave it like it is...it's fine.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: SigSentry,

Posts: 3505 | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
It is surprising how much fluid is in a quart. Years ago I was painting the moldings in one of our bathrooms. I opened the quart can, but before I could proceed, I got a phone call. It lasted about thirty minutes. When I got back to the task, I had forgotten the lid was just sitting on the can. I picked up the quart with a hand on each side and did the shake weight motion. One quart flew out and onto my chest and face. I looked at myself in the mirror, muttered a bad word and stepped fully clothed into the shower can and all. I didn't bother painting the moldings until the following week.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29678 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
probably a good thing
I don't have a cut
posted Hide Post
Here is a youtube search with some removal suggestions.

remove oil stains from concrete

Posts: 3374 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: February 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of photohause
posted Hide Post
I've had great success on many stand using carb starter fluid spray can. Cheers

Don't. drink & drive, don't even putt.

Posts: 1630 | Location:  | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No good deed
goes unpunished
Picture of cheesegrits
posted Hide Post
I was painting our mailbox post with Killz a couple of weekends ago and kicked the quart over. We got most of it up, but the street at the end of our drive has a white spot.

Posts: 2680 | Location: The Carolinas | Registered: June 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
Acetone usually dissolves just about any kind of paint or stain.
I don't know what it would do to the concrete, though, if anything.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16508 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
After you get as much of it off as you can with solvent-based cleaning, try spraying whatever’s left with Wet and Forget a couple of times. It takes months to work but might help over the course of a year. Doesn’t damage concrete.

Posts: 1178 | Location: NE Indiana  | Registered: January 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 5768 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
when I was at Kroger we used a product that I cannot remember the name of on the concrete pads in the fuel station,

basically a box of gray powder, almost a talcum like consistency,

toss it down, move it around with a stiff broom, and it would cover and eventually lessen the stain

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10417 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
Just be glad it wasn’t more than a 1/4 gallon

Posts: 53158 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
This kind of stuff--enzyme concrete cleaner--is what has worked best for me for oil stains.
It's quite harmless, so may be worth a try.

ACT enzyme concrete cleaner

Posts: 18042 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'd be making a chalk out line of a body very near it.

and make a
Trespassers beware sign by it

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54595 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I dropped a quart of white trim paint on a driveway while unloading the car. Fortunately for me the driveway was painted and it was fairly easy to clean up.
I'd try Brake Cleaner. I've used it on oil stains with success.

Posts: 1960 | Location: Indiana or Florida depending on season  | Registered: March 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post