SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    There’s a fungus among us
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

There’s a fungus among us Login/Join 
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted
“An influential US medical panel is warning about the dangers of a rapidly spreading deadly fungus — just a week after the hit zombie show The Last of Us wrapped up.

The American College of Physicians (ACAP) said the rise and spread of antibiotic-resistant cases of Candida auris, also known as C auris, is 'particularly concerning'.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) already described the fungus, which kills up to 60 percent of people it infects, as an 'urgent threat' in 2019.

But the new research from the CDC has revealed case numbers more than tripled across America between 2020 and 2021, with antibiotic resistant strains also becoming more common. …”

DailyMail article:
https://mol.im/a/11882321

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8959 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Oh, for fuck's sake Roll Eyes

Posts: 107612 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
Another “crisis” to whip weak minded fools into a froth. Not playing this round- gonna sit this one out.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15584 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Seems to me like Pipe Smoker just can't wait for the latest medical scam to rear its head just to post. First, it's covid, then the gay monkeypox, and now the fungus among us. Lol.

Q

Posts: 26403 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Bring back monkeypox. The jokes write themselves. I don't want a fake crisis that's associated with a TV show. How gauche!

They gotta get better writers.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Now I feel bad for Gus. He seemed like a fungi.

Posts: 10950 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Bring back monkeypox. The jokes write themselves. I don't want a fake crisis that's associated with a TV show. How gauche!

They gotta get better writers.

I thought you wanted Da Bola?!?!
Now it's the Monkey Pox?

I need a score card to keep up!

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8350 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Ebola is so 2012.

On the wrong side of
the Mobius strip
Picture of Patrick-SP2022
posted Hide Post
I miss the good old days when all you had to fear was Necrotizing Fasciitis.

Posts: 4129 | Location: Texas | Registered: April 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
...or AIDS

Picture of spunk639
posted Hide Post
Need something new like Sad Pig Syndrome.

Posts: 2778 | Location: Boston, Mass | Registered: December 02, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
Seems to me like Pipe Smoker just can't wait for the latest medical scam to rear its head just to post. First, it's covid, then the gay monkeypox, and now the fungus among us. Lol.

What makes you think Pipe Smoker "just can't wait for the latest medical scam" as opposed to just posting an interesting article on something that's killing some people lately as a head's up to people on the forum?

Posts: 436 | Location: Virginia | Registered: October 10, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Um yeah, antibiotics don't work on fungus. I had histoplasmosis in one of my lungs in 2009. They prescribed Sporinox which is an anti-fungal. Actually the generic version and even that is stupid expensive.

Posts: 4727 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DCFD4:
quote:

What makes you think Pipe Smoker "just can't wait for the latest medical scam" as opposed to just posting an interesting article on something that's killing some people lately as a head's up to people on the forum?

Something has been killing some people since the beginning of time. You still buy into the bullshit the medical establishment tries to pull? There is nothing "interesting" about a fear mongering article.

Q

Posts: 26403 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't buy into shit. Just wondering what your thought process was on giving him a hard time for posting an article? I don't think it's a bad thing to keep an eye out on strange things happening around around the world that could have an effect on us.

Posts: 436 | Location: Virginia | Registered: October 10, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
If Pipe Smoker hadn't posted it, someone else would. The problem I have with this is that it even exists to be posted. I guess from now on, we're crisis-dependent. Gotta have the next new disaster coming up all the time.

Banned for
showing his ass
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by DCFD4:
quote:

Something has been killing some people since the beginning of time. You still buy into the bullshit the medical establishment tries to pull? There is nothing "interesting" about a fear mongering article.

Agree with Q ... this short couple minute video just popped up on the news today showing a community member calling out Fauci on creating fear (starts at 30 sec mark).

Posts: 3190 | Location: PNW | Registered: November 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Just look at the article title, which clearly was designed to spark unjustified fear. But then, reading further, the cases of this fungus (Candida auris) was 1,310 in 2020, and 4,041 in 2021. The number is nothing in the big scheme of things. But, to instill fear, they had to write, the number of cases has more than tripled from 2020 to 2021. Ooh! So scary. Roll Eyes

Oh, and this "influential US medical panel", who are they? It's the same American College of Physicians (ACP) that was part of the medical establishment that threatened any doctors with loss of medical licenses, if they spread "misinformation" about covid. Roll Eyes

And this fungus (C. auris) affects mostly in the healthcare facility settings (hospitals and long-term care facilities), where folks are already very sick. And, there are tons of other bacteria and fungi that are highly lethal in the healthcare settings. So, this nothing new. But no, it's going to be "The Last Of Us". GMAFB. Roll Eyes

Oh, and chew on this gem:
quote:
The World Health Organization warns that fungal infections are becoming a 'major threat' to public health.

Some experts claim fungi are becoming more common worldwide as the changing climate makes environments more suitable for them.

So, there is nothing interesting about this article or strange about this fungus.

Q

I know what I like
I like what I know
Picture of Mark in Michigan
posted Hide Post
When I saw the thread title I thought it would be about the fungus that's spreading in Lynchburg, TN

Best regards,
Mark in Michigan

Posts: 502 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: December 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Just look at the article title, which clearly was designed to spark unjustified fear. But then, reading further, the cases of this fungus (Candida auris) was 1,310 in 2020, and 4,041 in 2021. The number is nothing in the big scheme of things. But, to instill fear, they had to write, the number of cases has more than tripled from 2020 to 2021. Ooh! So scary. Roll Eyes

Oh, and this "influential US medical panel", who are they? It's the same American College of Physicians (ACP) that was part of the medical establishment that threatened any doctors with loss of medical licenses, if they spread "misinformation" about covid. Roll Eyes

And this fungus (C. auris) affects mostly in the healthcare facility settings (hospitals and long-term care facilities), where folks are already very sick. And, there are tons of other bacteria and fungi that are highly lethal in the healthcare settings. So, this nothing new. But no, it's going to be "The Last Of Us". GMAFB. Roll Eyes

Oh, and chew on this gem:
quote:
The World Health Organization warns that fungal infections are becoming a 'major threat' to public health.

Some experts claim fungi are becoming more common worldwide as the changing climate makes environments more suitable for them.

So, there is nothing interesting about this article or strange about this fungus.

How dare I have a thought different from yours? Don't know how I'll sleep tonight seeing as you don't think something is interesting when I do