SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Boston Marathon has 127th running a request for Police to control a group and now the Cave-in by race officials
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Boston Marathon has 127th running a request for Police to control a group and now the Cave-in by race officials Login/Join 
Picture of spunk639
posted
Happened in Newton, lot of “BLM” Biden” “Love TRUMPS hate” and “Hate has no place here” signs on the gated communities and multi-million dollar lawns.

First the issue:

https://www.bostonherald.com/2...rgeted-overpolicing/

Members of the running community are alleging ‘racially targeted overpolicing’ after officers at the Boston Marathon surrounded a predominantly Black running group and blocked them from giving out high fives at their electric cheering spot in Newton on Monday.

Pioneers Run Crew, a Black- and Brown-led running group in Boston, sets up a tent every year along Heartbreak Hill at Mile 21 — helping power marathoners up the toughest stretch of the 26.2-mile course. It’s a highlight of the race for many runners to pass by Pioneers Run Crew, and get that extra lift when they desperately need it.

On Monday, a group of police officers with bicycles lined up at the running group’s spot in Newton, restricting their cheering access to the road and their ability to give out high fives. Police officers also took positions behind the group’s tent.

This doesn’t happen at other parts of the course, the members said, showing in a video how the opposite side of the road did not have any police blocking spectators.

“Why are we surrounded by police? I mean, why are we surrounded by police? Is it like this the whole way of the course?” Jean Mike Remy asked police officers in a video that has gone viral after Monday’s race.

“We can’t cheer no more,” he added. “I guess we can’t cheer no more… that’s not overpolicing at all.”

A Newton Police spokesperson said in a statement about the incident: “After being notified by the B.A.A. three times about spectators traversing the rope barrier and impeding runners, the Newton Police Department responded respectfully and repeatedly requesting that spectators stay behind the rope and not encroach onto the course.

“When spectators continued to cross the rope, NPD with additional officers calmly used bicycles for a short period to demarcate the course and keep both the runners and spectators safe,” the police spokesperson added.

The Boston Athletic Association said in a statement, “The B.A.A. is committed to creating a safe and enjoyable experience for athletes, volunteers and spectators across all our events.”

This type of blocking police presence occurs in Boston along Boylston Street during the marathon, but not at running groups’ tents in the suburbs.

Like other running groups, members of Pioneers Run Crew will occasionally step onto the course and run with their friends up the hill.

“Thousands of spectators have jumped onto the course,” November Project Boston, another running group that was set up at Mile 18, wrote on Instagram. “Thousands of spectators cheered their hearts out. But the only group that saw a massive police presence as a result was a group of predominantly Black and Brown spectators (in an affluent, overwhelmingly white suburb).

“Make no mistake — this is racially targeted overpolicing,” November Project wrote.

Earlier in the day before the police arrived, past marathon champion Des Linden can be seen on video pumped up as she ran by Pioneers Run Crew at Mile 21. The group showered her in confetti.

“We’re having a blast,” Remy said describing the scene before police showed up. “We’re cheering everybody on. We’re high fiving. We’re waving. Confetti’s popping. DJ’s spinning. And along the way, a strong police presence shows up, specifically to our cheer zone to back us on up, to keep us from high fiving, to keep us… from celebrating too much, from having too much fun.”

“It is such an amazing party, but this just left a sour taste in my mouth,” he later added.

Olympian Kara Goucher tweeted about the incident, “Really upsetting to see this today. I cannot imagine this happening — yet it did. A day of celebration and joy tainted by this. What are we doing? Running community — we preach inclusivity but we have a long way to go. This is not ok.”

https://tbdailynews.com/videos...tti-guns-at-runners/

Videos Show Group Complaining About Racial Profiling On Marathon Route In Newton Were Taking Up Entire Street, Shooting Confetti Guns At Runners

Aidan Kearney23 hours ago

Yesterday we published a blog about a woman named Alison Desir, a professional race baiting activist who organized a Twitter mob to accuse the Newton Police of being racist because she saw a video of bicycle cops doing crowd control in front of a diverse group of people on Heartbreak Hill.

The media predictably fell for it with headlines like this one from the Boston Globe:

The group is called Pioneer Runners Crew, and it was founded in 2017 because too many white people ran in and cheered on runners during the marathon. This year they set up tents, played loud music, danced, barbecued, and planned to cheer runners on. All of that is fine, because runners get energy from the excitement of the day and the cheers of complete strangers urging them at the hardest point of the race.

But the problem that none of these morons mentioned was that they kept running onto the course, getting in the way of other runners, and shooting confetti guns into the crowd. You can hear the pops of the confetti guns on their IG story.

To the untrained ear it could sound like gunfire, which is a really bad idea on the 10 year anniversary of the terrorist attack. If there was an explosion, or if someone did get shot, people would think it was a confetti gun.

Here’s some more highlights.

They literally took up the entire length of the street every time one of their runners passed by

[mo-optin-form id="lBGhJjJoQO"]

Act like you’ve been there before. It’s one thing to cheer on runners from the sideline and give them a high five. But these dolts obstructed entire streets and had dance parties in the middle of the road.

This is Aliese Lash, the president of the Pioneers Running Crew.

She basically got into running because it was a way to become a mobile billboard for the communist street riot group known as black lives matter.

She told CBS News that it was “traumatizing and triggering” that her group of adults had to be watched over because they couldn’t follow basic rules. Her excuse was every second grader’s favorite justification for being naughty – “they were doing it too.”

“Down the street at Wellesley, people are jumping on the course to kiss people,” said Lash. “There’s no police presence like that on the course anywhere else, and to us that was really disturbing. It was really traumatizing and triggering,” she said.

You know your life is easy and privileged when you’re “traumatized” by cops asking you to stand behind a rope while you’re watching a marathon.

I’ve run the Boston Marathon twice and never was kissed by the Wellesley lesbians who you hear from a mile away. They don’t shoot confetti guns or take up the entire road. There’s also much less spectators before Newton, which is where the race becomes much louder.

And yes, people do sometimes jump in and run with runners, but they’re not supposed to. In 2013 I waited at the top of Heartbreak Hill for my brother, then jumped in the race with him for the last 5 miles so he had company (luckily he ran it in 2:53 so we finished before the bombs went off). If I had been told by a cop that I couldn’t then I would’ve accepted that and moved on with my day. Because that’s what grownups do. Either way, this is not the same thing that the Pioneers did because:

I did it once, not 40 times to 40 different runners.
It was just me.
I didn’t have a banner that took up the entire road.
I wasn’t shooting confetti guns into the crowd.
So there you have it. Every media outlet has helped propagate the lie that the Newton Police targeted this group of people because they were too black, or too diverse. But the reality is that they didn’t believe that the rules applied to them so they had to be watched over like the kid in class that would put glue up his nose if the teacher didn’t hover over him.

Never mind the fact that the confetti was everywhere and it was raining, which created a bunch of slippery paper that runners had to go over while traveling uphill after already running 21 miles. The guy in charge of sweeping it all up nearly got run over by a stampede of DEI.

The Newton Police calmly asked them three times to stay on the side of the road where they can cheer on runners and be as loud as they want. But they didn’t feel like listening to those instructions so they had to be babysat like the literal children they are.

Just look at how racist these cops are telling the WHITE people to chill out.

Now the cave in and apology’s begin:

https://whdh.com/news/boston-m...-response-in-newton/

Boston Marathon organizers apologize for controversial police response in Newton

NEWTON, MASS. (WHDH) - Boston Marathon organizers are apologizing for an incident involving spectators along the route of this year’s race where members of two racially diverse running clubs said police were called to curb their enthusiasm because of the color of their skin.

The incident happened in Newton. Officials from the Boston Athletic Association have since issued a statement addressing the topic, saying they were wrong to call police.

“It seems like you’re using some kind of implicit bias to single us out and say that ‘Well this group must be doing something wrong, look at them.’” said Mike Remy, a member of the PIONEERS Runners Club.

Remy said group members were enthusiastic during the race and went onto Commonwealth Avenue near Heartbreak Hill to support runners they knew.

It is technically against the rules for marathon spectators to go onto the street.

In Newton, police said marathon officials asked them to take added steps to keep people off the course.

“Had the makeup of the group looked different as it does in Wellesley and Natick and Framingham and other places on the course, these same things are happening, but no one was calling,” Remy said.

Officials with the Boston Athletic Association, which hosts the marathon, are now admitting “we need to do better,” saying “This year, we know that we did not deliver on our promise to make it a great day for everyone.”

Remy said he hopes something good can come from this.

“There’s a better way forward and hopefully we can all work together to get there,” he said.

The Boston-based group Lawyers for Civil Rights has written to Newton Police and the Newton Mayor’s office, asking them to investigate the police response.

(Copyright (c) 2022 Sunbeam Television. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.)

Posts: 2778 | Location: Boston, Mass | Registered: December 02, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
FFS!!

Posts: 3484 | Location: Lehigh Valley, PA | Registered: March 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rick Lee
posted Hide Post
The cops need to do a sick out for next year's race. That'll learn 'em.

Posts: 3542 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
These are selfish and clueless assholes.

Getting into the Boston Marathon isn't as simple as signing up and paying an entrance fee, you have to qualify in other marathons prior, in order to get in, this isn't the Bay-to-Breakers or a fun run. This is one of the six major city marathons in the world.

I'd have lost my shit if I had ran all the qualifying races the year before, paid my way traveling to Boston and then had this dance party obstructing things, screwing up my time.

Posts: 14658 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rick Lee
posted Hide Post
I don't remember if the Boston Marathon relaxes the qual times for older folks, but I think it was 3:10 when I was still marathoning, and it was a bridge too far for me. I still have to be impressed by those who qualify, even if they're idiots and misbehave. A lot of other races let people in if they join a team and raise $1000, which are often people who just walk the whole route to get the t-shirt. But Boston still has some cache.

Posts: 3542 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
The idiots who misbehaved weren't runners in the race. I don't know who else lives around a marathon, or the Boston marathon, but they were never really thrilled by anyone getting on the route for any reason. That got uh, more intense after 2013, and to have these dongs fucking around is disrespectful on many levels.

"They let other people do XYZ on the route in other towns." Oh really, do they? But stopping you is because you're black/brown and not because what you were doing is over the top?

You have thousands of people running down a road, at whatever your dumb ass is doing. God forbid you fuck up a professional runner or runners, but almost any bullshit could result in a big ole mass of people in no time. Gee that wouldn't be a problem...

Just stupid. The police were _ASKED_ and we need to "investigate the response?" If I roll my eyes any harder I'll pass the fuck out.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post