SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Pellet Smoker???
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pellet Smoker??? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
We also have a Recteq 700. We've had it about 3 years and works well. Made in China though. Seriously considering a Yoder for the next pellet grill.

Like guns, Love Sigs

Posts: 1222 | Location: Battle Born | Registered: December 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
silence is acceptance
Picture of birddog1
posted Hide Post
Rectec RT-590 here, I’ve had it a few years now, just smoked two salmon filets on it tonight for my in-laws. Everything I have smoked on it has been great. Hold temps and controlled from my phone.

Posts: 2351 | Location: Massillon, OH | Registered: January 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by thumperfbc:
I'm generally very happy with my RecTec Bullseye.

I chose it because it seems to be the best choice for a "do it all" device and I was willing to give up size for the versatility.

It can hold 225 no problem. It lights up automatically quickly enough and can come to temp much faster than the barrel shaped pellet grills.

It'll auto-hold between 225 and 500 in 25 degree increments. However, If you want to sear you can out in what they call "RIOT" mode. Mine gets to over 800 degrees at the grate in this mode. The Deluxe version is advertised to get to over 1000.

The downside? It isn't as large as most pellet grills... But it is large enough for my family of 5. It is a 22" diameter grill surface, same as the large Weber kettle grills.

Anther vote for the bullseye. It does everything I need and more. Everything from brisket, steak to pizza all in compact package and price point. I barely use my gas grill anymore.

Posts: 5463 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Rectec RT-590 here also. Very happy with it. Slightly happier when I could remote start it Roll Eyes , but still gonna keep using it. Smile

I had my patience tested... I'm negative.

Posts: 87 | Registered: July 20, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Buy high and sell "low"
Picture of archerman
posted Hide Post
I went with the Smokin Brother’s 24” Premier, it is made in the U.S.A. And has the double wall insulated firebox, and double wall in the lid as well as the stainless shelf, and the front loading hopper.

I still have the Kamado Joe for everything else, but for low & slow I will be using the Smokin Brothers.

So far I have only done the burn in, and then a couple of racks of ribs, and it is way easier and holds the low temps better than the Joe.

So far so good!

Archerman

Posts: 2500 | Location: N. Idaho | Registered: February 26, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yoder YS640. Best I've had.

“Everybody's got plans...until they get hit.” Mike Tyson

Posts: 281 | Location: OC, CA | Registered: January 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JohnCourage
posted Hide Post
I have been looking into a pellet setup as well. At this point the Weber Searwood 600 is on my short list. Maybe not the end all be all but a good do it all grill with Weber's excellent support.

https://www.weber.com/US/en/wo...t-grill/1500120.html

JC

Posts: 1302 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JohnCourage:
I have been looking into a pellet setup as well. At this point the Weber Searwood 600 is on my short list. Maybe not the end all be all but a good do it all grill with Weber's excellent support.

https://www.weber.com/US/en/wo...t-grill/1500120.html

I wouldn't be so confident in Weber's support. They have fallen into the shitter these last few years. Their reputation has been in the toilet. They totally burned people on the junk Smoke Fire pellet smoker.

Anyhow I'm leaning toward Recteq now, after reading the thread I posted yesterday...

https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...0601935/m/6430063015

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12598 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have NO problems getting and keeping my Kamado Joe classic II at 225 or 250F. First thing is you have to warm it up very slowly, with ALL of the stuff in there, water etc.....Start with a baseball size section lit, and then put the lid on with the bottom vent open 1/3 and the top vent 1/4-1/3 and then start necking down the top vent as it gets close to your target temp. If you get top vent a little below 1/4 start necking down the bottom vent. If you overshoot your desired temp it will be very difficult to get it back down.

My preferred smoker and has the best flavor and keeps the best temp isn't a pellet smoker at all. It's a Weber smokey joe. It is amazing and if you start it with the right amount of coal will keep 225 or 250F for 14 hours no problem...... and easy too, keep top vent fully open and close bottom vents to 1/4 and slowly open a little more as needed, but it will go hours on it's own without screwing with the vents at all and just 1/16" on all 3 vents to add a little temp.

Posts: 21406 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
NOT compromised!
Picture of SIGWALLY
posted Hide Post
Oops! I thought "pellet smoker" was about a super powerful air rifle... Roll Eyes

Posts: 1530 | Location: Tampa Bay, Florida | Registered: July 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
At Jacob's Well
Picture of jaaron11
posted Hide Post
Enjoy your Smokin Brothers grill, archerman. I'd love to hear a range report once you get it broken in. A good buddy has become a Recteq evangelist, and there's no doubt a pellet grill can put out good results with less effort than most other grills.

I'm a little curious about all of the posters who are having a hard time keeping their kamado temperatures down. I have an old Kamado Joe Classic that I've been using for 12 years now. I've never changed the gaskets (old, felt style gaskets), and yet I still have no problem holding 225. In the winter, I can even hold it at 180ish. The key, as jimmy123x said, is to only light a small section of the charcoal and don't overshoot the temp. My bottom vent is only open about 1/8th of an inch when I'm holding low temperature, with the top daisy wheel barely cracked. It's also important to have the right charcoal. Some brands burn hotter than others.

J

Rak Chazak Amats

Posts: 5290 | Location: SW Missouri | Registered: May 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by benny6:
I use a RecTeq. It's all stainless cooking chamber sold me on it as my old 2010 vintage Traeger rusted out.

I've had my RecTeq RT-700 for 7 years now and it's been working great. It holds up great in the humid Florida climate.

I had to replace an ignitor and that's it. The app works well, but the probes began to go wonky after a few years. I haven't followed up with Tech support, but I'm sure it's just that the connections are corroded and I have to jiggle the connector to get an accurate reading. I know it's reading right because I check it against a mechanical thermometer, then I run with it.

I just did an overnight brisket on it for 4th of July and I've done lots of pulled pork, tri-tips and steaks.

For low temps, the lowest setting is 200˚ I got a great smoke ring on my brisket yesterday.
This was a leftover piece from my packer trim.

I didn't get a pic of the whole packer when I sliced it, but here they are from just before I wrapped them.

Tony.

Same here with zero problems since purchase about 6-7 years ago.

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3792 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
I have a Traeger. But, if you use the super smoke or even not, do expect the actual temperature to cycle up and down around your target temperature. For the super smoke mode, I think it does it deliberately, as in, it goes low to make more smoke then high to keep up the temperature.

Then you have to factor in the outside temperature. It affects the heat loss from the pellet smoker and there's a lag from when the smoker reacts. I found it makes a difference in the cooking time to target internal temp if I start morning going to noon or afternoon going to morning.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19992 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of slyguy
posted Hide Post
RecTeq bullseye here for several years.

Chicken, ribs, brisket, burgers, steak,everything is just yum.

Holds 225° easy and will Riot to about 750°.

Cheers~

Posts: 920 | Location: Valley Oregon | Registered: May 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rey HRH:
I have a Traeger. But, if you use the super smoke or even not, do expect the actual temperature to cycle up and down around your target temperature. For the super smoke mode, I think it does it deliberately, as in, it goes low to make more smoke then high to keep up the temperature.

Then you have to factor in the outside temperature. It affects the heat loss from the pellet smoker and there's a lag from when the smoker reacts. I found it makes a difference in the cooking time to target internal temp if I start morning going to noon or afternoon going to morning.

Holding exact temp is overrated. I used to panic when my stick burner would fluctuate 50 degrees. Then I probed my oven in the house and found 350 ranged from 300 to 380. I don’t worry about fluctuations anymore and never have bad cooks.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12598 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post