SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Pellet Smoker???
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pellet Smoker??? Login/Join 
Buy high and sell "low"
Picture of archerman
posted
After reading/looking at the BBQ thread, my Kamado Joe, is tough to hold at 250, and about impossible to hold it any lower.

So I have been thinking of getting a pellet smoker for ribs/brisket etc.

And keeping the Joe for everything else.

So what brands do you use/like?

Thanks,

Archerman

Posts: 2500 | Location: N. Idaho | Registered: February 26, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had a Big Green Egg for years that I loved but sold it before moving to Georgia.

While in Georgia, I bought a Traeger. Did not like it, nothing but problems.

I sold the Traeger after we moved back to Texas and bought a Kamado Joe Classic. It is even better than my earlier Big Green Egg.

It will easily hold any temperature from 225 deg on up for hours.

How long have you had your Kamado Joe?

Posts: 1130 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 20, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
I had the same experience with my egg-style grill (Vision). Great for grilling or searing, but can't consistently hold under 300ish. They claim it can do both, but in reality it is no good for smoking.

On the other hand, some pellet grills/smokers claim to be able to grill/sear too. But mine struggles just to get to 400-450ish, which is barely adequate for grilling and nowhere near sear temps.

So now I have one of each, and play to their strengths: a pellet smoker for smoking, and an egg for grilling.

My pellet smoker is an older generation Green Mountain Daniel Boone.

Posts: 32992 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
I had a guy give me a camp chef smoke pro about 6 years ago when he upgraded. It worked great for him, and it's worked great for me. I probably smoke something at least once a week. Mine is pretty basic, but I'm sure they're better now.

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3567 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
I use a RecTeq. It's all stainless cooking chamber sold me on it as my old 2010 vintage Traeger rusted out.

I've had my RecTeq RT-700 for 7 years now and it's been working great. It holds up great in the humid Florida climate.

I had to replace an ignitor and that's it. The app works well, but the probes began to go wonky after a few years. I haven't followed up with Tech support, but I'm sure it's just that the connections are corroded and I have to jiggle the connector to get an accurate reading. I know it's reading right because I check it against a mechanical thermometer, then I run with it.

I just did an overnight brisket on it for 4th of July and I've done lots of pulled pork, tri-tips and steaks.

For low temps, the lowest setting is 200˚ I got a great smoke ring on my brisket yesterday.
This was a leftover piece from my packer trim.

I didn't get a pic of the whole packer when I sliced it, but here they are from just before I wrapped them.

Tony.

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5498 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
I have an authentic Japanese Kamando from the 1960's and it is a bit tricky to hold temps as well. I put foil in the bottom and poke a few holes in it. Helps but still tricky.

I too am thinking of a pellet grill. Everything is chinese or similar. Not going to do that.

if I do buy one it will be the Smoking Brothers pellet grill made in MO. Expensive yes. Worth it?
To me, yes. About $1500

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19674 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Buy high and sell "low"
Picture of archerman
posted Hide Post
I have had my Kamado Joe for about 10 years now, I have added the kick-ash basket, and I have tried the flame boss temp controller (and it still won’t hold temps below 300.

I have tried every brand of lump charcoal out there.

I am jut thinking for smoking ribs and brisket, a pellet smoker is looking like a better option.

I have been looking at these, in no order.

Recteq
Smoking Brothers
Blazin Grill works,

They are made in the U.S.A.

They seem to get better results on the low & slow, than what I have been getting, I will keep the Joe, for searing steaks, and everything else.

Sounds like RogueJSK has the same Idea.

Archerman

Posts: 2500 | Location: N. Idaho | Registered: February 26, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
I do not think RecTec is USA made.

always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
We love our Traeger 34Pro (model without bluetooth and other superfluous electronics). Haven't had a bad smoked protein yet!

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16505 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conservative in Nor Cal constantly swimming
up stream
Picture of PR64
posted Hide Post
I have a Green Mountain and It does a good job.

Can't speak about the others because I have not used them.

Here's a Boston Butt I smoked. It was delicious and look at that bark...

-----------------------------------
Get your guns b4 the Dems take them away
Sig P-229
Sig P-220 Combat

Posts: 3633 | Location: Nor Cal | Registered: January 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
following this thread with interest as I have only owned gas grills but now looking at pellet smoker/grills. Anyone have any experience with Yoder? Very pricy but if it outlives me it will be worth it. Supposedly can do both low and slow consistently for hours as well as high temp sear.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: kho,

Posts: 572 | Location: S Fla / Western NC High Country | Registered: May 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Team Apathy
posted Hide Post
I'm generally very happy with my RecTec Bullseye.

I chose it because it seems to be the best choice for a "do it all" device and I was willing to give up size for the versatility.

It can hold 225 no problem. It lights up automatically quickly enough and can come to temp much faster than the barrel shaped pellet grills.

It'll auto-hold between 225 and 500 in 25 degree increments. However, If you want to sear you can out in what they call "RIOT" mode. Mine gets to over 800 degrees at the grate in this mode. The Deluxe version is advertised to get to over 1000.

The downside? It isn't as large as most pellet grills... But it is large enough for my family of 5. It is a 22" diameter grill surface, same as the large Weber kettle grills.

Posts: 6437 | Location: Modesto, CA | Registered: January 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by archerman:
I have had my Kamado Joe for about 10 years now, I have added the kick-ash basket, and I have tried the flame boss temp controller (and it still won’t hold temps below 300.

I have tried every brand of lump charcoal out there.

It sounds to me like you may have too much air getting in due to possible worn seal around rim.
I replaced the gasket on my BGE because I was spotting smoke sometimes wisp out from between the base and lid.
Lots of high temp. cooking can damage the gaskets over time.
I just did Ribs for the 4th at 235° w/o hardly any adjusting once it settled.

Posts: 7481 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Can't get my Ceramic cooker to maintain anything less than 300, probably me, but I use it to cook at 300 and up temps, the Traeger for smoke.

Posts: 24165 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a Traeger and have not had any difficulty with it; I would recommend one.

Help with my medical fundraiser at https://fundrazr.com/d2PmG0?ref=ab_8BFKzc.

Posts: 2148 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: April 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
New rim seal on my and did not help much.
Some of these units struggle to maintain a low tem or even a constant temp, period. Just how it is. Like I said, the only thing that helped mine was some foil under the Kick ash basket. Regulate the temp by how many holes I poke in it.

Picture of mark60
posted Hide Post
Rectec here and love it. Also a BGE and a Kamado Joe. There are controllers you can get for Kamado's that will hold temp for you, I have a flame boss I use in the Egg.

Posts: 3537 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
RecTeq also. Wish I’d bought it years ago, now that I have it! You can spend more for FEC and a couple others, but RecTeq hits the sweet spot for quality/value.

Posts: 1729 | Registered: November 07, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
What are y'all using as your thermometer to make these claims about kamodo grills not holding temperature? If you're trusting that POS bi-metal dial gauge that comes for free then you must not realize those things are +/- 30F. Also, it's measuring the temperature at the top of the dome not on the cooking grate.

My temperatures below are all from a BBQ guru digital gauge that reads accurate in both ice water and boiing water. The gauge is on the cooking grid and it's how the BBQ guru is controlling temperature:
  • With my BGE and a new gasket, I have been able to hold 180 to smoke salmon.
  • My gasket currently needs replacing, and I can still hold 235.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.
  •  
    Posts: 23624 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Buy high and sell "low"
    Picture of archerman
    posted Hide Post
    I am using the Ivation temperature probes, and I have the flame boss temp controller, and I still cannot get it to hold a temp below 300.

That’s why I am looking at a pellet smoker.

Archerman