SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    80# Tannerite Gender Reveal - Whoa
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

80# Tannerite Gender Reveal - Whoa Login/Join 
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
I've gotten lucky and blown myself up twice... but lived to tell about it, was all over 45 years ago and I learned my lesson... some of it is on file with the FBI. (bragging rights... I was one of 2,416 people they suspected of doing some really bad things.) The only person I ever harmed was me.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lt CHEG:
quote:
Originally posted by Voshterkoff:
quote:
These products literally take us back to the days where any Tom, Dick or Harry could walk into a hardware store and buy commercial dynamite to help them with digging ditches, getting rid of beaver dams, etc.

Yeah, awful.

I’m in no way opposed to being able to go back to those days don’t mistake my point. However, when was the last time that you heard about some farmer doing something so stupid when he was laying ditches with dynamite that he bought without a license or permit? When was the last time that you heard of a rancher doing something so stupid when getting rid of a beaver dam? My point is simply that these exploding target products are absolutely 100% a loophole to the safe explosives act that will allow anyone to purchase a commercial quality explosive without a license when they otherwise wouldn’t have been able to. I have no issue with that but people are doing ridiculously stupid stuff with these products that they never would have done before and if they keep it up then they will end up screwing things up for a lot of people.

People have been stupid for as long as there have been people. The difference is we now have 24hr news & Sigforum to point & laugh.

I'm under 40 and can tell stories of drunks with dynamite (2nd hand, haven't had any of that stuff in years, right?)

Posts: 3297 | Location: IN | Registered: January 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
...getting rid of beaver dams...
That's how you end up with gender reveal parties. Razz

Posts: 107254 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
I’m guessing some of y’all don’t “live” in farm towns/not the point where they’ll talk to you. Farms are full of stupidity. Usually, it’s cows or equipment that kills, but explosives cause issues too

Posts: 5706 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Miami Beach, FL | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Tannerite has a gender reveal kit. How stupid.

https://tannerite.com/tannerite-gender-reveal-target/

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
People will have a party for anything. Telling what sex (not gender) a yet-to-be-born child is doesn't rank high in my list. Everyone (who cares) will know in a few months.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
Back in the early 1950s, there was some highway construction taking place in Lewiston, Idaho. A fairly good sized lava bluff needed to be reduced in size, so they bored some holes, stuffed the holes with dynamite, fused it, and set it off. One chunk of lava that weighed about 10 lbs IIRC, flew about 200 yards, penetrated both sides of a chicken coop and then embedded itself in the side of the people's house. I won't get into the stupidity of some of the stuff I saw while in explosives training in the army. Scared the crap out of me, and a number of others who had an idea how to do that stuff.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25640 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Be Like Mike
Picture of CEShooter
posted Hide Post
Assuming that this was in the bottom of a quarry with tall, solid, stone walls I can only imagine how awesome that explosion sounded on their ears. Nothing like a massive explosion in a 5 sided box to make you regret your life choices.

---------------
"Structural engineering is the art of moulding materials we don't understand into shapes we cannot precisely analyze, so as to withstand forces we cannot really access, in such a way that the community at large has no reason to suspect the extent of our ignorance." Dr. A. R. Dykes

Posts: 2229 | Location: 500 Miles from the homeland | Registered: February 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lt CHEG
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
quote:
...getting rid of beaver dams...
That's how you end up with gender reveal parties. Razz

That comment sir brought a much needed smile to my face. Thank you!

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.”

Posts: 5562 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: February 28, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lt CHEG
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by snidera:
People have been stupid for as long as there have been people. The difference is we now have 24hr news & Sigforum to point & laugh.

I'm under 40 and can tell stories of drunks with dynamite (2nd hand, haven't had any of that stuff in years, right?)

I’m well aware that stupid people have been around for as long as there have been people. I will also concede that the modern news cycle amplifies actions such as those in the original post. I do think that stupidity is greatly on the rise. I think part of it is the way children have been coddled for too long with everyone told that they’re special and deserving of a trophy. People do absurdly stupid things with no regard for consequences, and it is the complete and total lack of concern for consequences that makes me shake my head. You wouldn’t think that you would need a special warning not to eat laundry detergent, yet we had a nationwide phenomenon of kids taking the tide pod challenge. I legitimately believe that a growing number of people, particularly youths, believe that the government will keep them from getting into anything too dangerous and accordingly if they can buy something then it must be safe.

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.”

Posts: 5562 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: February 28, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post