SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Sweet Tool Chests
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sweet Tool Chests Login/Join 
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted
AllenInWV's recent post about a crappy tool box got me thinking.

Who has a tool chest that they think is totally awesome? I picked up one of these (for work Frown, so I had a much nicer budget than at home), and I am VERY impressed. It was a little under 2k and replaced 2 older, smaller Snap-On tool chests. I love the way the top organizes sockets and combo wrenches. It actually has more slots for sockets than I can use at the moment. It also has a small power strip with 120V/USB in the little area where power tools sit.

http://extremetools.net/pws-41-features.html

The EXTREMELY large logo is fun. Now everyone at work has to scream TOOL CHEST in an EXTREME manner whenever they talk about it.

"Hey, man. That's a pretty sweet TOOL CHEST."
"Can you grab me a clamp from the TOOL CHEST?"

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17248 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
I've been using these for about 25 years. Endless options to configure however you want, available in many colors including custom and a very reasonable price.

https://www.listacabinets.com/

Posts: 9456 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
women dug his snuff
and his gallant stroll
posted Hide Post
H. Gerstner & Sons if I had the cash.

Posts: 10823 | Registered: August 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 220-9er:
I've been using these for about 25 years. Endless options to configure however you want, available in many colors including custom and a very reasonable price.

https://www.listacabinets.com/

Lista makes good stuff; we have lots at work. I just couldn’t nail down one that would work the room I was using.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17248 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you are ever in Dayton, visit H. Gerstner. And leave your wallet at home. It'll cost ya!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The one I always wanted. The original German made tool trolley...

https://autoplicity.com/925807...xEAQYBSABEgJjFPD_BwE

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
I tend to think of the ones I saw in the craftsman section of the sears catalog. Big Grin

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

Posts: 14020 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

I kind of like the H. O. Studley tool chest. I remember Norm demonstrating it's amazingly intricate features on a This Old House episode. Pictures alone don't do it justice.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by henryaz:

I kind of like the H. O. Studley tool chest. I remember Norm demonstrating it's amazingly intricate features on a This Old House episode. Pictures alone don't do it justice.

THAT is beautiful. No...exquisite.

Posts: 2687 | Registered: November 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
I have 3 of these in the garage: https://www.amazon.com/Waterlo...=waterloo+tool+chest

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3955 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by amals:

You wouldn't believe until you see it demonstrated. There are second and third layers of tools behind what you see in the picture. It hangs on a wall, and when closed takes up a space of 20" x 40" x 9" deep. Studley was a piano maker who built the chest over the 30 years he worked for the Smith Organ Company and later the Poole Piano Company of Quincy MA.

I was mistaken earlier. Norm demonstrated it on The New Yankee Workshop, not This Old House. Here is Norm's video demonstrating the features of the tool chest.

H. O. Studley Too Chest

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jcsabolt2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
If you are ever in Dayton, visit H. Gerstner. And leave your wallet at home. It'll cost ya!

YooperSigs...I believe my grandfather had one of those or something very similar. He was a pattern maker for over 50 years and could make nearly anything from a piece of wood. However, it has been very well used during that time period too.

Gerstner & Sons

----------
“Nobody can ever take your integrity away from you. Only you can give up your integrity.” H. Norman Schwarzkopf

Posts: 3623 | Registered: July 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HuskySig:
H. Gerstner & Sons if I had the cash.

Gorgeous work! However, I'd be too worried about damaging those during the normal wear and tear use of a tool chest.

quote:

Holy shit! I've never even heard of this. Something like that would cost more than my house today.

His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flesheatingvirus:

That's a really nice working man's tool chest. I like how it's set up for easy access.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19583 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post

My Gertner 042, built about the same time as me, 1950 or so. Lousy shot, it was outside drying with it's last coat of satin polyurethane spray.

I really like these old oak chests. Sadly they have been "discovered" and are pretty high wherever you find them.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
$2000 for a sheet metal box?

Ummm...no.

I picked up a freebie Craftsman with six drawers for free. It'll do.

Posts: 19975 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
Had a friend 30 yrs back who was one of the Snap-On tool vendors in Great Falls. He would get guys who would buy tools on time pay, pay 2/3 or 3/4 of them off, then stop paying for some reason.

When he would finally run these guys down, many would surrender the tools. He would offer me the items for whatever the guy owed on the balance.

Bought a large 3 drawer tool chest bottom or maybe base...$70. My matching top box was $170. Quite large with 15 drawers.

Bought some tool sets too for decent prices; full 1/4" metric set with a mess of extensions, short/long sockets and various sized drivers....$90.

Also bought some air tools too. ALL of it has performed flawlessly over the years. My Dad was a big believer in quality tools. I still use many of his wood tools that he bought 70+ years old.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
I'm old school. I bought this yesterday (without permission to earn a notch on my man card):

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Hu...6Ch6TR6RXD/303411385

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8635 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
$2000 for a sheet metal box?

Ummm...no.

I picked up a freebie Craftsman with six drawers for free. It'll do.

I've worked with a lot of guys sporting 15,000 to 25,0000 toolboxes. Two grand on a rollaway is nothing.

I wouldn't spend it, and some of my most used boxes are collections of various that are on home-welded chasis, bolted together, built up according to my needs.

There's a big difference between cheap boxes and heavy duty ones that are well built; far more than cosmetic.

Many of the mid-range boxes out there are built by Waterloo and sold under various names.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by amals:

You wouldn't believe until you see it demonstrated. There are second and third layers of tools behind what you see in the picture. It hangs on a wall, and when closed takes up a space of 20" x 40" x 9" deep. Studley was a piano maker who built the chest over the 30 years he worked for the Smith Organ Company and later the Poole Piano Company of Quincy MA.

I was mistaken earlier. Norm demonstrated it on The New Yankee Workshop, not This Old House. Here is Norm's video demonstrating the features of the tool chest.

H. O. Studley Too Chest

Very impressive. I'm sure I've seen Studley's tool chest before; maybe in an issue of Fine Woodworking or something. Amazing piece of work.

Posts: 2687 | Registered: November 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post