SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The largest deep-ocean silicic volcanic eruption of the past century
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The largest deep-ocean silicic volcanic eruption of the past century Login/Join 
Festina Lente
Picture of feersum dreadnaught
posted
Earth does some interesting things when no one is watching. 400 square kilometer raft of floating rock (pumice), that no one noticed till somebody looked out the window of a plane flying into New Zealand.

Abstract
The 2012 submarine eruption of Havre volcano in the Kermadec arc, New Zealand, is the largest deep-ocean eruption in history and one of very few recorded submarine eruptions involving rhyolite magma. It was recognized from a gigantic 400-km2 pumice raft seen in satellite imagery, but the complexity of this event was concealed beneath the sea surface. Mapping, observations, and sampling by submersibles have provided an exceptionally high fidelity record of the seafloor products, which included lava sourced from 14 vents at water depths of 900 to 1220 m, and fragmental deposits including giant pumice clasts up to 9 m in diameter. Most (>75%) of the total erupted volume was partitioned into the pumice raft and transported far from the volcano. The geological record on submarine volcanic edifices in volcanic arcs does not faithfully archive eruption size or magma production.

http://advances.sciencemag.org...nt/4/1/e1701121.full

NRA Life Member - "Fear God and Dreadnaught"

Posts: 8295 | Location: in the red zone of the blue state, CT | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
If we get lucky it'll overflow onto white island. Racists...

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6390 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
So, kidding aside, how do we NOT realize something like this has happened? We can count the polar bears, but the earth sprouts a zit covering that much ground and we're like "oh, a flight attendant noticed it the other day...."?

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6390 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Festina Lente
Picture of feersum dreadnaught
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by slabsides45:
So, kidding aside, how do we NOT realize something like this has happened? We can count the polar bears, but the earth sprouts a zit covering that much ground and we're like "oh, a flight attendant noticed it the other day...."?

There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
Than are dreamt of in your philosophy.
- Hamlet (1.5.167-8)

NRA Life Member - "Fear God and Dreadnaught"

Posts: 8295 | Location: in the red zone of the blue state, CT | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by slabsides45:

I'm hoping it was detected but ruled out by many people looking for unpleasant surprises like, oh, nuke tests.

At the same time, I agree that such an event should have registered on a Richter scale somewhere in New Zealand and triggered a tsunami warning. Perhaps the event was far less violent than the article lets on.

===
I would like to apologize to anyone I have *not* offended. Please be patient. I will get to you shortly.

Posts: 2074 | Location: The Sticks in Wisconsin. | Registered: September 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
Ask my neighbors, I am sure it is due to global warming, which is caused mostly by conservative white males. Roll Eyes

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
I saw this on the TV Show "What on Earth". Fascinating!

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
For comparison's sake, the "pumice raft" mentioned is roughly the size of the city of Denver.

Wow!

Posts: 26953 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post