SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Martin Scorsese's The Last Waltz 1978
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Martin Scorsese's The Last Waltz 1978 Login/Join 
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted

Posts: 107612 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
IMO, one of Van Morrison's best performances. The Band backing him.

...and of course, the 800 Pound Gorilla in the room, Dylan.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16704 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Yep. Epic

Posts: 13264 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So many great songs, but I think Van the Man steals the show. His “kick off” is just such a great moment. I’ll watch it every once in a while to feel the joy.

Posts: 193 | Registered: May 24, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
Definitely in the running for best live album of all time.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
King Nothing
Picture of SigSauerP226
posted Hide Post
About a decade before me but that is some great music. I’d have to say I really dig that first song. Sent this off to my friend who is two decades behind this but he cherishes real music and is always talking about real musicians. We actually got started off tonight by me talking about the Bob Dylan Times Are a Chanin’ thread, another great fuckin song.

...Then it comes to be that the soothing light at the end of your tunnel, is just a freight train coming your way...

Posts: 2445 | Location: Simi Valley, CA | Registered: September 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted Hide Post
I saw The Band on their last tour in 1999. Got 4 tickets, took my wife, her best friend and husband. I was the only one who thought it was something special. I bet my wife doesn't even remember it. Had great seats, a little towards the left, about 10 rows back. Empty seats in front of me, so I moved up a row for a while. People next to me looked at me like I was crazy. Maybe they had tickets for the empty seats and were miffed even though they weren't using them.

Posts: 7458 | Location: Over the hills and far away | Registered: January 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
I saw The Band open for Crosby Stills and Nash in 1985. Outdoors on the waterfront in Rhode Island. One of the best concerts I ever attended.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12780 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
I saw The Band and Bob Dylan’s Reunion Tour, following the recording of Planet Waves, which The Band recorded with him. I’ve seen so many great shows that it’s hard to know where to place that concert, but it’s at least top 5 and could well be top 3. Just a tremendous show.

Posts: 13264 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
Greatest American band of all time.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10488 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
That entire concert was excellent in so many ways. Sad they are gone but they gave use great music we will never forget.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20321 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
I have watched it, many times. A good sound system is required. I can't watch it on a tinny TV speaker.

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Don’t forget Robertson was behind the soundtracks of most of the Scorcese movies you loved.

Posts: 401 | Location: Denton, TX | Registered: February 27, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
The version of "The Night they drove old Dixie Down" was the BEST EVER on "The Last Waltz". The expanded entry with the horns and bass (tuba) really took you back.
https://youtu.be/x35l1IxU9dg
This version also has Joni Mitchell singing background off-stage.

Also, if you look closely, Neil Young has cocaine around his nose.

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Imagination and focus
become reality
posted Hide Post
I've got it. It is excellent!

Posts: 6621 | Location: Northwest Indiana | Registered: August 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As a teen ager when the movie came out, had never heard of them.
Went to the movie , then
Went to it again with a friend ,
Ten days later.
Only
Three movies have gotten my money twice,
In 55 years of going.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54647 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I watch the video about once a year. I was fortunate enough to see them several times over the years and I went to one of the rambles at Levons once. My favorite band.

Whoever said you can't buy happiness forgot little puppies.

Gene Hill

Posts: 626 | Registered: July 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post