SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Any Cane Corso Owners Here?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Any Cane Corso Owners Here? Login/Join 
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Deqlyn

Excellent. Dont foget the obligatory pics when you get your pup in the future!

Thanks! We are still researching now, but if we select this breed, or any breed, I will put some pics and experiences here!

Posts: 8623 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
Ask yourself what you're looking for in the dog, why this breed interests you and what are the temperaments of those in the house, and the household as a whole. That will help the breed selection.

How much time will the dog consistently get exercise? On its own, with other dogs, with you, with family members?

How much enforced downtime / alone time will there be?

Questions like these and more can help you select a breed that fits the household and lifestyle, and that will go a long way to a successful experience.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5645 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ChuckFinley:
Ask yourself what you're looking for in the dog, why this breed interests you and what are the temperaments of those in the house, and the household as a whole. That will help the breed selection.

How much time will the dog consistently get exercise? On its own, with other dogs, with you, with family members?

How much enforced downtime / alone time will there be?

Questions like these and more can help you select a breed that fits the household and lifestyle, and that will go a long way to a successful experience.

I greatly appreciate the advice and interest, but I am well past that stage. This thread is all about the Cane Corso's reputation for separation anxiety. That's all I am asking about.

Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
What did the breeders you visited say when asked about separation anxiety? They would have your best information- it may be their lines are prone (or not) to this.

Examples: I show italian greyhounds. One is anxious. The others are chill. The anxious one comes from an anxious bitch, and I recently discovered that bitch has a sister who is also anxious. The other 2 show dogs I have are from the same breeder, slightly different background. Super chill and laid back.

I have a friend who shows Danes. She has had 2 Danes now that aren’t showable due to anxiety. Same background, same breeder. Another 2 that she’s had were fine- same breeder, different parentage.

I’d humbly suggest you go to a dog show (if you can) and visit the Corso ring. Watch the dogs, talk to the owner handlers (not the pros, they’re just being paid to show the dog) if they aren’t busy. Explain your concerns. Ask who they recommend. Some will be biased. People who show a breed, love that breed, and typically have a wealth of information specific to that breed AND the lines that are currently in the ring or who the gold standard of the moment is. We are gossipy about our pups after showing and typically happy to help a fellow lover of our breed. Take it all with a grain of salt. See if you can wrangle an invite or phone number to a few more kennels. Don’t know how guarded mastiff folks are, but you might be invited.

Good breeders in general are very fussy as to who they will sell to, I suspect a mastiff breeder would be even more so due to the “job” these dogs have been bred for. The right breeder wants a perfect fit for their pups- they may not want to sell to you if you do travel that much, but it would be for the right reasons. Keep looking, and find your right fit.
I once had a breeder who wouldn’t sell me a pup because I worked. A normal day job. She had such a waiting list that she could afford to be choosy, and she chose retired or nonworking homes first (IGS are noted for separation anxiety as well).

about the cat- it should be a perfect companion when you’re gone, esp if it thinks it’s a dog. A pup as smart as a CC will know cats are hands off as a toy once it’s been shown.
Good luck. I personally love the bullmastiff, but I’ve met more of them.

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5319 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hobbs
posted Hide Post
All dogs are individuals and should be assessed as such. That said, Cane Corso's are said to be prone to separation anxiety because they become so devoted to their human(s) and want to be with them at all times. Irreverent offered what I think is some good advice. The sire and dam of the pup you're interested in might be an indicator of what they'd whelp. A good breeder of registered dogs knows what they have and most are happy to discuss any anticipated issues. Some breeders might even take back a pup that just doesn't work out in a particular home and you could ask the breeder about that up front.

I don't have experience with the Cane Corso but if I really wanted one, I might be researching how best to deal with separation anxiety since it appears to be a thing with some of them.

I've had a couple of American Pit Bull Terriers. One had separation anxiety so bad (even with another dog at home to be with) I had to take him with me everywhere I went. Rowdy would tear some stuff up to try and get to me. He was an escape artist too. I'm retired and with my dogs pretty much 24x7 anyway so it wasn't a big deal. My current APBT doesn't have separation anxiety at all and is an easy keep ... all dogs are individuals.

Posts: 4701 | Location: Bathing in the stream of consciousness ~~~ | Registered: July 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Micropterus:

It's relevant.

Cane Corsos are extremely loyal and protective dogs. That puts them in a high bite category. Due to their size and strength, their bites can be worse than that of other breeds, especially given their tenacity once an attack starts. That's their nature, whether they are abused or not. It's a breed of dog that will likely not get the benefit of a state's "one bite rule" - the rule that essentially doesn't hold the owner liable for the dog's first bite. That rule is reserved for dogs without known vicious propensities - collies, labs, etc. Disclosure of the dog to your insurer can cause an increase in your homeowners insurance premium due to the increased risk of bite, and increased damages if a bite does occur. Or you may not be insured at all.

I've handle very many dog bite claims and the worst have been by Turkish Kangals and Cane Corsos - by far. Even worse than Pit Bulls. Once these dogs start an attack, it takes a lot to end it. And they can do a horrific amount of damage to a jogger, or a little girl walking by that reaches out to touch it when you're strolling by.

If you get one, you need to take precautions. If it hurts someone, you're far more likely to have a claim made against you than if your friendly Golden Retriever bites someone.

Of course it's relevant. I have had dogs all my life including several German Shepherds. Our last one was always a concern for us. Removed him from the litter at 9 weeks and he grew up in a loving home. We socialized him as often as we could during those first months taking him to parks, friends houses and introduced him to as many other dogs as we could. None of it did any good. He just did not like other people. And, he was a big dog, 130 pounds at three years old. If I took him to the vet, I always had him in a muzzle.

He never bit anyone, thank god, but I just never trusted him. I know the OP is looking only for information about separation anxiety, but I felt this topic needed a little further discussion.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5040 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The only person I know that has a Cane Corso is a guy that I buy hay from few miles from
My farm. The dog is in his natural state of protecting a home stead. The guy has half an acre specifically fenced in for the cane corso where they can leave him unattended.
It's a 7ft tall fence built from what looks like hog wire panels and heavy duty metal tube post.
The dog is very protective of everything on that farm and whenever they have people at the farm, the dog goes into his special area.
I don't think the dog spends much time alone, as he has few different animals at the farm and several kids.
He doesn't take the dog of the farm except for vet visits and absolutely no one handles the dog except family.

Posts: 1178 | Location: Upstate  | Registered: January 11, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hobbs
posted Hide Post
Also check to see that a Cane Corso doesn't run afoul with your homeowners insurance if you have it. Home insurance companies may deny coverage when they consider a family dog to be a high risk, because dog bites account for more than a third of the money paid out in homeowners liability claims and Cane Corso is one of about 14 breeds that are blacklisted by one insurance company or another. My Pit Bulls are fine here with State Farm but certainly may not be with another insurance company.

Posts: 4701 | Location: Bathing in the stream of consciousness ~~~ | Registered: July 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TigerDore:
Thanks for the input. Do you mind if I ask:

1. Any claims for Bullmastiffs?

2. Roughly how many claims have you handled for bites overall? How many were for the Cane Corso?

1. Not that I can remember.

2. In 30 years? A few hundred. And seen many more my colleagues have handled. And all those account for a fraction of bites in our claims department overall, most I never see. No idea how many for Cain Corsos, in particular. But those I remember have been in the last few years. I think it's an increasing popular breed and that's why. What sticks out to me is the severity of the wounds. Each time I've seen a Cain Corso related bite claim, it's been bad. They bite and shake.

The other "problem" with Cain Corsos is not just that they have a nature that requires the owner to train their dog to not always follow its nature. It's a problem dog because it looks mean. People that get bitten don't tend to give brindle colored, pit-bull looking dogs a pass. I've had people report that their old Lab or old Golden has bitten a neighbor. Then I speak to the neighbor and they say something like, "Ah, it's okay. I put alcohol on it. That dog has been living next door for 10 years. He's just old and in pain and I shouldn't have done this or that." But no one let's a Cain Corso, a Staffordshire Terrier, Rottweiler, of Doberman bite go.

I'm not saying not to get one. They're beautiful dogs. And I doubt they bite any more than other breeds. They are just perceived differently. And it could cost you more in insurance premiums. And you'll need to be more careful with a Cane than a Golden. That's just the way it is.

Posts: 4285 | Location: In The Swamp | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Quiet Man
posted Hide Post
I had a partner at work who raised them for awhile. Large, powerful dogs that require a LOT of work to socialize and control. Bad dogs are indicative of bad owners, but some dogs require a lot more care and effort than others. This breed is an example. Beautiful dogs, but having spent some time around them it's not a breed for me personally. I've had several "pit bull" type dogs over the years and they have all been awesome, awesome dogs, but Corsos are just a bit much for me.

Posts: 2593 | Registered: November 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by irreverent:
What did the breeders you visited say when asked about separation anxiety..

All good points. We plan to go back to the breeder we like best this weekend and I plan to discuss the SA problem with them at that time. I am just trying to broaden my response base as much as possible.

Their upcoming litter is spoken for, but we are looking at their late spring litter, depending on nature. We have spent time with the mother and father. Both very good natured, gentle animals.

All of the dog shows I know about are cancelled/postponed due to COVID. I agree that is a great way to go normally, and I have done that in the past.

This breeder is definitely fussy about who gets their dogs and I like that.

posted Hide Post
We've had at times one Corso and up to 3. Most recently my son had one when he was living on his own. He worked 6 days a week and the dog was on its own at that time. He did not experience separation anxiety on the dog's part. She had a calm personality.

One other point is the confusion between - two breeds - Cane Corsos and Perro de Presa Canarios. There have been some notorious incidents involving Canarios.

A core point for me is that as the owner of a large, powerful and protective dog like a the Corso, you have to make sure the dog is well-trained and well-behaved.

Posts: 694 | Registered: March 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MagnumU:
We've had at times one Corso and up to 3. Most recently my...

Great points all. I appreciate the advice.

Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Micropterus:
In 30 years? A few hundred. And seen many more my colleagues have handled...

quote:
Originally posted by Hobbs:
Also check to see that a Cane Corso doesn't run afoul with your homeowners....

Guys, thanks for the advice. I hadn't thought of the insurance angle. I will check with my insurance on this point.

Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
Everybody, I appreciate the advice and everyone's intent in responding.

Thanks!

Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MagnumU:

One other point is the confusion between - two breeds - Cane Corsos and Perro de Presa Canarios. There have been some notorious incidents involving Canarios.

Based on my research, I think you are right.

Picture of valkyrie1
posted Hide Post
Had a 6 year old Cane we had to put down at the age of 6 due to a brain tumor. Great dog, protective ,always tried to put herself between you and someone else which is a no no. Must be socialized and trained. Lots of exercise. Calm demeanor compared to my GSD who's ears constantly listened. When I had both together no one would come within 10 feet of my front door. Miss her and my GSD dearly. Both gone at the ages of 6 years.

Posts: 2306 | Location: Florida | Registered: March 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by valkyrie1:
Had a 6 year old Cane we had to put down at the age of 6 due to a brain tumor. Great dog, protective ,always tried to put herself between you and someone else which is a no no. Must be socialized and trained. Lots of exercise. Calm demeanor compared to my GSD who's ears constantly listened. When I had both together no one would come within 10 feet of my front door. Miss her and my GSD dearly. Both gone at the ages of 6 years.

My condolences. 6 years is way too young to lose ANY dog. . .

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21847 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by valkyrie1:
Had a 6 year old Cane we had to put down at the age of 6 due to a brain tumor. Great dog, protective ,always ...

Thank you for giving your insight. I am very sorry you lost her so early.