SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Any Cane Corso Owners Here?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Any Cane Corso Owners Here? Login/Join 
Picture of TigerDore
posted
I have a couple of questions that are specific to this breed. If you have any direct experience as an owner or previous owner of the Cane Corso, I would appreciate your insight regarding their unique reputation for separation anxiety.

Thanks!

Posts: 8624 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because something is legal to do doesn't mean it is the smart thing to do.
posted Hide Post
Never owned the breed but several years ago a couple of them got loose and killed a jogger about a half mile from my home. Dogs had a history of attacking previously. Dogs were destroyed and owners did jail time.
Don't know anymore then that.

Integrity is doing the right thing, even when nobody is looking.

Posts: 4135 | Location: Metamora MI | Registered: October 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Dogs had a history of attacking previously.
Irrelevant. That's an owner problem. Any dog can become vicious if abused or undisciplined and allowed to run loose.

Posts: 27964 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Twist
posted Hide Post
My brother had one, old boy was almost 13 years old when he had to have him put down. Beautiful dog and had one of the best demeanors I had ever seen. He went right around 150 lbs before he started going down hill. That dog was his saving grace after my brother got a divorce. Basically his only mainstay company for several years after the divorce, save and except for his random relationships.

He was a true gentle giant and a dog that anyone would have happily owned. He’s been talking about getting another one and probably will at some point but he did end up getting married again in the Spring of 2019 and has a 14 month old son now so I believe he’s holding off waiting for his boy to get a little bigger.

Posts: 1931 | Location: NOT Houston, Tx (Thank God), but in the area. | Registered: May 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
Irrelevant. That's an owner problem. Any dog can become vicious if abused or undisciplined and allowed to run loose.

Agreed.

posted Hide Post
We've owned a number of them, wonderful dogs. I did not see separation anxiety issues. My favorite was a 150 lb male - Kyzer. He would not start a fight, but he would not back down. Very confident, protective, no problems with family or friends. My fiance borrowed him for the weekend once. He changed the attitude of their creepy pizza delivery driver by just meeting him at the door once. He lived for 13 years as well.

We did have one female that had been abused by the breeder's ex-husband. She had significant fear aggression. She ultimately had to be put down.

Kyzer's cousin, Luca, was the most intimidating dog I've ever met. 165 lbs, wide not tall, could clear a 7' fence. Protection trained, his trainer had to upgrade their bite suit for Luca. Again, very confident dog, no snarling or other bad behavior, just the look of "don't mess with me" with the presence to back it up.

Posts: 694 | Registered: March 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Twist:
My brother had one...

I would really appreciate knowing how your brother's experience was with his dog regarding separation anxiety and any issues he may have had with this.

Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MagnumU:
We've owned a number of them, wonderful dogs...

Thanks, MagnumU. Did you own more than one at a time? In other words, was your dog ever truly alone or did it have other dogs around when you were gone?

Picture of Twist
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TigerDore:
quote:
My brother had one...

I would really appreciate knowing how your brother's experience was with his dog regarding separation anxiety and any issues he may have had with this.

That dog was never alone. Again, basically his only main stay companion for several years and in the event my brother did go out of town, someone the dog was familiar with was usually close by watching him. I stayed at his house multiple times watching over him, our mother stayed with him as well. Occasionally he’d have a neighbor the dog was familiar with go over and let him out while also checking his food and water. That dog could literally get along with anyone he was even remotely familiar and friendly with.

Yes, he was protective but not aggressive nor overbearing by any means. He also did well in all settings ie the subdivision my brother live in where he’d be outside with my brother without a collar quite often and wouldn’t run off as well as the 150+ acres our parents own roughly halfway between Houston and Dallas. He never had an issue with the dog running off or getting “adventurous”.

He really was a tremendous dog but he did have a tremendous appetite as any dog that size naturally would so get ready to go through some food but by all means, get one if you have the opportunity.

Posts: 1931 | Location: NOT Houston, Tx (Thank God), but in the area. | Registered: May 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
quote:
Dogs had a history of attacking previously.

It's relevant.

Cane Corsos are extremely loyal and protective dogs. That puts them in a high bite category. Due to their size and strength, their bites can be worse than that of other breeds, especially given their tenacity once an attack starts. That's their nature, whether they are abused or not. It's a breed of dog that will likely not get the benefit of a state's "one bite rule" - the rule that essentially doesn't hold the owner liable for the dog's first bite. That rule is reserved for dogs without known vicious propensities - collies, labs, etc. Disclosure of the dog to your insurer can cause an increase in your homeowners insurance premium due to the increased risk of bite, and increased damages if a bite does occur. Or you may not be insured at all.

I've handle very many dog bite claims and the worst have been by Turkish Kangals and Cane Corsos - by far. Even worse than Pit Bulls. Once these dogs start an attack, it takes a lot to end it. And they can do a horrific amount of damage to a jogger, or a little girl walking by that reaches out to touch it when you're strolling by.

If you get one, you need to take precautions. If it hurts someone, you're far more likely to have a claim made against you than if your friendly Golden Retriever bites someone.

Posts: 4285 | Location: In The Swamp | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
quote:

That dog was never alone...

Thanks, Twist. Therein lies the rub for us. We do travel, and most of the time, a dog would not be able to go with us. Our male lab is aging (13) and is now exhibiting health issues. We also have a cat who thinks she is a dog because she has been raised with our labs. There is a very good chance this new pup could be hanging with a cat when we travel and I don't know how that would work.

We are starting to love the breed, but this reputation for separation anxiety is concerning to me. I am doing my best to learn more before we make this commitment.

Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gjgalligan:
Never owned the breed but several years ago a couple of them got loose...

I appreciate what you are saying, but this can occur, and has, even with "safe" breeds like Labs.

We believe in working hard to train our dogs with complete obedience.

We believe that thorough training not only makes for a better experience with the dog, it makes the dog much happier knowing his/her place in the pack and knowing there is an alpha leader to take charge for them.

Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Micropterus:

I've handle very many dog bite claims and the worst have been by Turkish Kangals and Cane Corsos...

Thanks for the input. Do you mind if I ask:

1. Any claims for Bullmastiffs?

2. Roughly how many claims have you handled for bites overall? How many were for the Cane Corso?

Picture of reloader-1
posted Hide Post
Every breed has instinctive behavior. Every. Damn. One.

Ultimately, a great owner can modify a dog’s behavior, but they are similar to humans. You can do everything right, and they can still turn out nasty.

In general, however, something like a lab/golden is far less dangerous than a Cane Corso/Malinois etc. There are some breeds that need a serious, introspective look as to what *you* are looking for in a dog, and how much effort you can put into them. Some breeds are basically the “hard difficulty” of dog ownership, this is one of them.

Posts: 2325 | Location: S. FL | Registered: October 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by reloader-1:
...Some breeds are basically the “hard difficulty” of dog ownership, this is one of them.

Are you a dog trainer?

Picture of reloader-1
posted Hide Post
Dog lover, wouldn’t consider myself even an amateur trainer. Owned several GSD’s, among others, and my shepherds were well behaved and professionally trained. However, still took extreme precautions as the liability from a mistake would be severe.

The Cane Corso is a fairly newly recognized breed, but have an acquaintance who has an interest in mastiffs (Dogo, etc). What is driving the interest in a Cane Corso specifically, as opposed to other mastiffs?

Posts: 2325 | Location: S. FL | Registered: October 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
No experience but in case you havent been there yet AKC has a great generic break down of all breeds. A few ads which suck but keep scrolling if youre on cellphone.

Notice the energy, recommends a mile run in the morning and night to keep msucle tone. Again, ive not owned one but AKC is fairly good eith recommendations. Best of luck on finding the right pup for you!

Cane Corse AKC

What man is a man that does not make the world better. -Balian of Ibelin

Only boring people get bored. - Ruth Burke

Posts: 8227 | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Deqlyn:
No experience but in case you havent been there yet AKC has a great generic break down of all breeds. A few ads which suck but keep scrolling if youre on cellphone.

Notice the energy, recommends a mile run in the morning and night to keep msucle tone. Again, ive not owned one but AKC is fairly good eith recommendations. Best of luck on finding the right pup for you!

Cane Corse AKC

I appreciate the advice and help, but I have been researching the breed for a while. I have done in-depth research from a broad variety of sources and visited a couple of breeders, spending some quality time with the breed. My interest in this thread is specifically related to their reputation for separation anxiety.

Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by reloader-1:
What is driving the interest in a Cane Corso specifically, as opposed to other mastiffs?

I am also interested in the Bullmastiff. Aside from the separation anxiety that is the subject of this thread, the Cane Corso wins out on the criteria I have. If I am unable to get a satisfactory conclusion to this issue, the Bullmastiff will likely move back to the top of the list.

stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TigerDore:
quote:
Originally posted by Deqlyn:

Cane Corse AKC

I appreciate the advice and help, but I have been researching the breed for a while. I have done in-depth research from a broad variety of sources and visited a couple of breeders, spending some quality time with the breed. My interest in this thread is specifically related to their reputation for separation anxiety.

Excellent. Dont foget the obligatory pics when you get your pup in the future!

What man is a man that does not make the world better. -Balian of Ibelin

Only boring people get bored. - Ruth Burke

Posts: 8227 | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post