SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Still using Win7, support ends in January. Win10?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Still using Win7, support ends in January. Win10? Login/Join 
The Velvet Voicebox
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mboroman:
Although I would eventually like to upgrade my machine to something newer, I'm not quite ready for that expense. So I went ahead and upgraded to Win10. It's still free from the Microsoft Support website. I had done a Google search on it and found a video that walks you through the initial screens and shows you what to expect. I just did the straight over upgrade - no customizations. It went through seamlessly; no problems whatsoever. It was confusing at first since things are not where you used to find them but after using it for a month or so, I have adjusted well enough.

Here is the video I used to make the switch:

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QdNL-pvvXH4

Thanks Mboroman. This is clear & precise. Just what I needed.

"All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope."

--Sir Winston Churchill

"The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

--James Earl Jones

Posts: 7674 | Location: KCMO | Registered: August 31, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
I am totally old school. I really liked the look of my XP machine. Linked below is a tutorial to make your Win 7 machine look like good old XP. I've been rocking this for the last several years, ever since I went to Win 7. Here's what my Win 7 desktop looks like:

https://helpdeskgeek.com/windo...c-view-in-windows-7/

I do the same to my work issued laptop. When I have to bring it in for service they think I am on a very old OS!

Posts: 5817 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
My work PC is still running the 32 bit Windows 7. I'm actually looking forward to an excuse to go to a 64 bit OS on a new machine. I run out of memory a lot these days.

Posts: 17944 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1967Goat:
I am totally old school. I really liked the look of my XP machine. Linked below is a tutorial to make your Win 7 machine look like good old XP. I've been rocking this for the last several years, ever since I went to Win 7. Here's what my Win 7 desktop looks like:
{SNIP}
Check out this web site that a kind member posted in another such thread on this same topic...

http://www.classicshell.net/

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Velvet Voicebox
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by radioman:
quote:
Originally posted by Cliff:
Microsoft us pushing win10, get a new computer. I don't see myself getting a new machine, so any experience moving over to 10 from 7? All files are backed up daily. Any tips to make the move seamlessly?

What do you use the machine for? If it's just light duty web browsing and e-mail, you may consider Ubuntu. It's way better than it used to be in terms of user friendliness.

On the other hand, Ubuntu won't run turbo tax and many of the other popular software packages.

So it would help to know what the machine is used for.

All the above & light photo/video editing. A lot of music downloading editing along with voiceover recording & editing.

Win7 home premium
Intel Core i7-4790K CPU @4.00GHz 4.00 GHz
Installed memory (RAM) 16.0 GB
C drive is 500GB SSD
D drive is 1 terabyte SSD

"All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope."

--Sir Winston Churchill

"The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

--James Earl Jones

Posts: 7674 | Location: KCMO | Registered: August 31, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by doublesharp:
I've got a couple of Dell Latitude Win7 laptops that work fine but I no longer use them. I've switched to chromebooks. What are the Win7 machines good for now and are they worth anything?

Linux if you want. Ubuntu, Xubuntu, Mint. Pretty easy to install and use.

I'm typing this on a 2007 Dell Inspiron with a first gen dual core running at 1.4GHz and 2 gigs of ram using Xubuntu.

Not the fastest but its a good beater/backup.

___________________________________Sigforum - port in the fake news storm.____________Be kind to the Homeless. A lot of us are one bad decision away from there.

Posts: 1165 | Registered: July 20, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
I got a forced conversion ~3 years ago. I actually like it better as it gave me an ability to crop and enhance photos that I didn't before. (That's all I can tell you.) Nothing went wrong - no lost files, crashes or anything of that sort.

Posts: 28645 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fpuhan:
quote:
Originally posted by Elk Hunter:
I was essentially forced to move to win10. I hate it. To the point that I have considered getting an apple system.

There's never a bad reason to get an Apple system.

I found one - "Vista". THAT OS pushed me to Apple.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
I like W10. It's the most secure OS Microsoft has put out and even though I'm an old fart, I don't find it that difficult to adapt to new interfaces. When I no longer can, I'll go back to pen and paper. Thankfully I don't see that coming in the near future. But I get it for those on tight work schedules that need to be "computing" and not navigating through a new OS interface. Changing does require a little work and consideration which is frustrating when you've got work to do.

FWIW, I think going from a Windows OS to Apple would be a much bigger learning curve. Not a thing wrong with Apple OS, but it is quite different.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
I'm still running W7Pro on my desktop and W7Home on my laptop. Yesterday afternoon my Outlook stopped working with Yahoo! Mail. I went to my Yahoo! account and did the thing I normally do to fix this (turned off the switch that allows aps with less security to access it) and then that switch disappeared. I can't turn that function back on now, and Yahoo! Mail won't allow Outlook to connect any more. There is not a newer version of Outlook to go to, so that is not an option. I have years of e-mails filed in folders in my pst files and I don't want to lose them. I guess I can still use Outlook to view them, but I won't be able to add any new ones to the folders. I am pissed!

I also have an older desktop with XP on it. I haven't run it for several years, but there are a couple of applications there that won't run on anything later than XP (although I've been told that Linux might be able to do so). There are no new versions of that software available (well, one of them does have an upgrade/rehosted, but it doesn't work right with old files).

flashguy

This message has been edited. Last edited by: flashguy,

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27911 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As others have already pointed out, Classic Shell is the way to make the interface with Win 10 look and act just like XP or Win7. I just could never relate to the tiles of Win10 at all. Could not stand the way things were organized. Edge SUCKS!

Download and install Classic Shell! You'll be glad you did!!!

Posts: 693 | Location: E. Central Missouri | Registered: January 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
quote:

Win7 home premium
Intel Core i7-4790K CPU @4.00GHz 4.00 GHz
Installed memory (RAM) 16.0 GB
C drive is 500GB SSD
D drive is 1 terabyte SSD

This machine should have no problem upgrading to Windows 10.

Although the i7-4790K is from 2014, it's still a decent processor IMHO. 16 GB is good.

I'd keep it and upgrade.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 11090 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Cliff,
I have a 5+ year old desktop running a i5-4440 3.1GHz with 8GB RAM.
Added a GeForce GTX 1050 2GB graphics card.
Replaced the supplied drives over the years. Current drives are
C:\Samsung 860 EVO SSD 1 Tb,
D:\HGST Ultrastar 7K4000 4Tb 7200 SATA,
E:\Western Digital Blue 1 Tb 7200 SATA WD10EZEX in an uGreen USB 3.0 External 2.5”/3.5” HDD enclosure, and
F:\Western Digital My Passport Ultra 1TB 5400rpm USB 3.0.

It was originally supplied with Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit. I upgraded to Windows 10 in late 2018.

No need to replace my machine. (I'm not a gamer.) Smile

You're good to go!

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16517 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Velvet Voicebox
posted Hide Post

--Sir Winston Churchill

--James Earl Jones

always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1967Goat:

I'm using Classic Start Menu (http://classicshell.net/) with Windows 10 because I simply don't like the Win10 look. Guess I fall into the "old school" column too! Big Grin

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16517 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
I'm gonna hang on to Win 7 until they pry it from cold, dead fingers. Smile

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5134 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mboroman thanks for the vid on 10 for free. I've been paying $30 for dvd and key so I could do a fresh install.

Wn10 fresh install on a solid state drive and 12gb or better ram with a 2012 or newer i5/i7 4 core 3ghz or fasterprocessor. Much better performance than wn7 and mechanical hd etcc.

I've upgraded 10 desktops culling out anything not 4 core 2012 or newer. 12gb min and new ssd fresh wn10 install.

Wn10 is much faster.

Does anyone buy old hard drives, motherboards or ram. Have several boxes of this old hardware. Chunked the chasis in the trash. These boxes need to go.

Posts: 464 | Location: NC | Registered: March 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Velvet Voicebox
posted Hide Post
Range Report:

My machine has now been upgraded to Win10. From download to final boot up and finish, It clocked in at 98 minutes. Works seamlessly with all my software so far. Launching of apps so far is much quicker then on Win7. Downloads off the web is very quick. Resolution on my screens is sharper. No problems, not a one. That is all.

--Sir Winston Churchill

--James Earl Jones

Big Stack
posted Hide Post
I built the current machine I use about 8 years ago. It was on Win 7. I was wondering what to do about that when the machine forced my hand. The SSD that I used as a boot/system software drive died. I decided to buy a new SSD, and bought a copy of win 10 while I was at it. The machine is back and upgraded.

At some point, I might replace the motherboard, processor , and memory. I might also replace the video card, but I might just use the CPU built in graphics first to see if that's necessary.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
quote:
Range Report:

My machine has now been upgraded to Win10. From download to final boot up and finish, It clocked in at 98 minutes. Works seamlessly with all my software so far. Launching of apps so far is much quicker then on Win7. Downloads off the web is very quick. Resolution on my screens is sharper. No problems, not a one. That is all.

Nice. I went kicking and screaming from XP to Win10 after reading about all the problems. I then kicked myself for not doing it sooner. The only problem I had was my Samsung laser printer was no longer supported. My bro's second hand HP printer filled in for awhile until it was out of ink. Then, I again searched for a Samsung print driver update, found a new one and I'm back w/ my beloved Samsung laser printer.
Now I'm happily clinging to Win10 until it's dropped.

Posts: 7485 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post