SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Government efficiency in action: Implementation of 2005 airport "Real ID" law delayed (yet again) to 2025
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Government efficiency in action: Implementation of 2005 airport "Real ID" law delayed (yet again) to 2025 Login/Join 
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
"Real ID"? How is this not horribly racist?

Posts: 21106 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ironbutt:
A couple years ago, when my wife's driver's license came up for renewal, they recommended taking the appropriate documents to the DL centre & get a Real ID. I decided that it might not be a bad idea for me to get one too in case there was a family emergency & we'd need to fly somewhere.

I didn't have a birth certificate, so I had to apply to the State Dept of Health to get a copy of mine. It came quickly, but it said that I was a female. I'm not.

I called them & a lady looked it up, and sure enough, the records from XX Hospital had me as female. She said that I had to submit form xxxx, along with notarised copies of a whole bunch of other documents, and THEY'D decide IF a mistake had been made. I hung up.

Soooo, anyway.......I took the Birth Certificate identifying me as a female to the DL center, got my picture taken and was issued a Real ID driver's license. No questions asked. I couldn't resist stopping at the new gender neutral bathroom on the way out.

So much for the increased national security of having Real ID.

You have a good sense of humor friend. Good lord...

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8689 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ironbutt:
A couple years ago, when my wife's driver's license came up for renewal, they recommended taking the appropriate documents to the DL centre & get a Real ID. I decided that it might not be a bad idea for me to get one too in case there was a family emergency & we'd need to fly somewhere.

I didn't have a birth certificate, so I had to apply to the State Dept of Health to get a copy of mine. It came quickly, but it said that I was a female. I'm not.

I called them & a lady looked it up, and sure enough, the records from XX Hospital had me as female. She said that I had to submit form xxxx, along with notarised copies of a whole bunch of other documents, and THEY'D decide IF a mistake had been made. I hung up.

Soooo, anyway.......I took the Birth Certificate identifying me as a female to the DL center, got my picture taken and was issued a Real ID driver's license. No questions asked. I couldn't resist stopping at the new gender neutral bathroom on the way out.

So much for the increased national security of having Real ID.
So now on Ladies Night you get in free? Wink

Posts: 4010 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I got mine about 6 months ago because my regular license was going to expire, and if I upgraded it would be like 6 dollars more and I didn't want to pay the fee a second time and make two trips.

Also because my state gives illegals drivers licenses had to get one if I still want to purchase firearms.

As others have mentioned the list of acceptable documents is ridiculous and confusing. I brought extra paper work just in case something was rejected. Luckily no problems was in and out pretty quickly took the person 5 minutes to process but had to wait 20 minutes. Went once the line was 2 plus hours in the blazing sun ran some errands came back got in right away was very lucky.

Posts: 967 | Registered: July 10, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
I got mine earlier this year.

There was a list of documents that would satisfy them and you only needed 2 of them.

I have an Original Copy of my birth certificate, the State of Oklahoma Vital Records gave it to me and stamped it "original copy" and that was good enough some years ago.

But NO, not this time around.

They refused it, and said I needed to get a NEW copy of my birth certificate which would be an ORIGINAL COPY.

WTF was wrong with my ORIGINAL COPY I'd got a few years earlier?

Anyway, I had to pay $25 for the New Original Copy, plus $20 overnight FEDEX, because they didn't allow walk ins, because covid you know.

Really pissed me off.

Later was told the difference was the PAPER the new ones are printed on.

Gimme a break!

TSA, REAL ID, this and that, is just a bunch of crap that consumes shitloads of money and doesn't seem to do much of anything truly useful and needed.

Posts: 11854 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No More
Mr. Nice Guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OKCGene:
I got mine earlier this year.

There was a list of documents that would satisfy them and you only needed 2 of them.

I have an Original Copy of my birth certificate, the State of Oklahoma Vital Records gave it to me and stamped it "original copy" and that was good enough some years ago.

But NO, not this time around.

They refused it, and said I needed to get a NEW copy of my birth certificate which would be an ORIGINAL COPY.

Lol. I went through this too. I have the embossed official photostat copy from the original form that my parents and the doc signed in the hospital the day I was born. Nope, not acceptable even though it was good enough to get a passport and social security number. Nowadays it has to be printed from a computer database to be "real". Someone literally had to look at the microfilm image of my original birth certificate and type it into a computer.

Posts: 9457 | Location: On the mountain off the grid | Registered: February 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Weird. I had no issues getting mine several years ago with my true original (nearly 40 year old) birth certificate copy.

Posts: 32519 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
I'm pretty sure I just applied for my Real ID online and got it in the mail.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30410 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FiveFiveSixFan
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have the embossed official photostat copy from the original form that my parents and the doc signed in the hospital the day I was born. Nope, not acceptable even though it was good enough to get a passport and social security number.

I had a similar experience. As a result, the process was long and drawn out as I requested the 'acceptable' document and awaited its arrival.

Posts: 7315 | Registered: January 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
Weird. I had no issues getting mine several years ago with my true original (nearly 40 year old) birth certificate copy.

No problems here either. Mine was printed from a microfiche in the late 60s, signed in ink by a human, and embossed with the stamp of the state agency. Strangely, a couple of years later, the same wasn’t good enough to get a passport, and I had to go online (and pay) to get the certificate of live birth (or whatever), which has all the same info, except with just one more field filled in.

I think much of the problem is that for years states dragged their feet on setting this up, hoping that a future Congress or a distraction would do alway with it, and now that it’s finally coming due, they’re scrambling at the last minute. That’s all on those states who waited.

Posts: 3336 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No More
Mr. Nice Guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FiveFiveSixFan:
quote:
I have the embossed official photostat copy from the original form that my parents and the doc signed in the hospital the day I was born. Nope, not acceptable even though it was good enough to get a passport and social security number.

I had a similar experience. As a result, the process was long and drawn out as I requested the 'acceptable' document and awaited its arrival.

The fun one was my sister, whom I inherited as guardian a couple of years ago when our father passed away. Though she was on medicaid and disability in another state, she had zero ID. No DL, no state ID card, no passport. Since she was in an apartment at a program for disabled adults which was paid for by our father, she had no utility bills in her name. No birth certificate, no Social Security card (though she does have a SS #).

This really brought home to me how much government has become centralized, and how we cannot do anything without government issued documentation. At least within the system as a citizen.

Posts: 9457 | Location: On the mountain off the grid | Registered: February 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FiveFiveSixFan
posted Hide Post
quote:
This really brought home to me how much government has become centralized, and how we cannot do anything without government issued documentation. At least within the system as a citizen.

Slight drift, but that makes the notion that there should be no requirement to identify in order to vote even more incomprehensible.

Posts: 7315 | Registered: January 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
IMO it's already failed and they know it.

The endless delays are a sure sign this isn't working and eventually they're going to have to announce it's cancelled.

They've made it too difficult and painful for the average American to want to even bother trying to get it. There is really no incentive if using the far-easier-to-obtain passport/passport card is the alternative.

Posts: 33817 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No More
Mr. Nice Guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FiveFiveSixFan:
quote:

Slight drift, but that makes the notion that there should be no requirement to identify in order to vote even more incomprehensible.

But, but, but then my sister couldn't have voted! Seriously, somehow she got registered and received a mail in ballot. She had no idea what it was or what to do with it, so she handed it to me with all the other mail she gets.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Flash-LB:
And here's another factoid about this "Real ID" thing.

They demand a birth certificate, but if you bring one, they reject it. They don't want a birth certificate, they want a COLB (certificate of live birth) that's been certified.

When you call them on it, they tell you it's just the way it is.

I used a certified copy of my birth certificate .

Posts: 4062 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by selogic:
quote:
Originally posted by Flash-LB:
And here's another factoid about this "Real ID" thing.

They demand a birth certificate, but if you bring one, they reject it. They don't want a birth certificate, they want a COLB (certificate of live birth) that's been certified.

When you call them on it, they tell you it's just the way it is.

I used a certified copy of my birth certificate .

Wouldn't take mine or my wife's, we both had to produce a COLB for a passport card. The same thing is happening at the MVD here.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post