SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Do you change your brake fluid?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Do you change your brake fluid? Login/Join 
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Do you change your brake fluid?

Never on purpose or because I want to. Big Grin

I know brake fluid absorbs water, but where's it absorbing water from, it's an air tight system? That 3/4's of a cubic inch of air at the top of the master cylinder? I'm not worried about my brake lines rusting from the inside out, they're rusting from the outside in a hundred times faster. Big Grin

I've changed all the fluid on some truly old fluid in some really old cars and trucks and I'll be danged if I could tell any difference afterwards. Wink

Posts: 21097 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
I know brake fluid absorbs water, but where's it absorbing water from, it's an air tight system? That 3/4's of a cubic inch of air at the top of the master cylinder?

Every union and mostly around the seals at the caliper, most of which are rubber. There's a reason the water accumulation is worse where you want it least, leading to issues with calipers.

Most line rust is from the outside in from living in hostile environments so you're right, not changing won't lead to that. Just corrosion at calipers and a softer pedal and lower boiling point which leads to fade. Of course that also occurs just when you don't want it to....

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12402 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cparktd:
Flush at every pad change. Regardless of if I do it or have it done. The shop that does the service that I don't want to do, or don't have time to do, used to include the flush at no extra charge, but only if requested... then they started charging a few extra bucks for the extra fluid, now they charge an extra 30 bucks. Money well spent IMO. Other wise they just do the minimun necessary bleeding.

FYI it is not nearly as good as an actual flush, but the old
"turkey baster" fluid change can very easily be done for anyone not inclined to do an actual flush/change.
Just suck out all the fluid you can from the master cylinder and replace with new... doing this 2 or three times at monthly intervals will go a long way toward refreshing the fluid. Easy, cheap and better than nothing!

I always eyeball the level and appearance of the brake fluid at every oil change. If it doesn't look 100% perfect it gets sucked out and replaced.

I do this too. It certainly helps by diluting the pollution. Do the same thing with power steering fluid, turkey baster. When you have your transmission "serviced" instead of truly flushed and replaced 100%, it's the same principle. Good practice for all three. But for transmissions I pay for a complete flush and replacement, but only with a mechanic set up with the correct equipment/fittings/pumps.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8657 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shaql
posted Hide Post
Unless you're driving your vehicle like the second coming of Dale Earnhardt, your vehicle's brakes aren't going to fail on you instantaneously due to brake fluid breakdown.

Pay attention to the brake pedal and how your vehicle performs under braking. Change accordingly.

I've changed the brake fluid on 1 vehicle in my life and that didn't solve my spongy brake problem.

Hedley Lamarr: Wait, wait, wait. I'm unarmed.
Bart: Alright, we'll settle this like men, with our fists.
Hedley Lamarr: Sorry, I just remembered . . . I am armed.

Posts: 6850 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: April 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Shaql:
Unless you're driving your vehicle like the second coming of Dale Earnhardt, your vehicle's brakes aren't going to fail on you instantaneously due to brake fluid breakdown.

Pay attention to the brake pedal and how your vehicle performs under braking. Change accordingly.

I've changed the brake fluid on 1 vehicle in my life and that didn't solve my spongy brake problem.

What model car was it?

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3963 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shaql
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PowerSurge:

What model car was it?

2005 Nissan Frontier

Hedley Lamarr: Wait, wait, wait. I'm unarmed.
Bart: Alright, we'll settle this like men, with our fists.
Hedley Lamarr: Sorry, I just remembered . . . I am armed.

Posts: 6850 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: April 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Shaql:
quote:
Originally posted by PowerSurge:

What model car was it?

2005 Nissan Frontier

Every Nissan I’ve ever driven has had a spongy brake feel. Same goes for GM products.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3963 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post