SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Police release surveillance video of shootout, attempted carjacking that killed retired Chicago firefighter
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Police release surveillance video of shootout, attempted carjacking that killed retired Chicago firefighter Login/Join 
posted
Just watch how fast this goes down. The firefighter quickly recognizes what is going on.

CHICAGO — Chicago police are looking for four suspects after a retired firefighter was killed during an attempted carjacking last week.

In an update Monday evening, Chief of Detectives Brendan Deenihan shared surveillance footage of the shooting. It shows retired Chicago firefighter Dwain Williams, 65, exiting a favorite popcorn store of his in the 11700 block of West 118th Street at around 2:06 p.m. Thursday.

Three men exit a black sedan as Williams is walking with a bag in hand. He quickly realizes the situation and a shootout ensues. One suspect is possibly hit by gunfire before all three were able to get back into the vehicle and flee.

Williams was taken to Advocate Christ, where he was pronounced dead.

Police found the suspected getaway car, which is believed to be a stolen Ford Fusion, in Tinley Park this weekend.

Retired Chicago firefighter Dwain Williams
Community activists Andrew Holmes and Early Walker have added to the reward total, which is now over $30,000.

“Take a close look at this video, if you know this is your loved one, call the detectives,” Holmes said. “Sooner or later, you’re gonna get a knock at your door and you wish you had.”

The suspects are African American males and two were wearing black pants, black-hooded jackets and white gym shoes. The other was wearing a blue-hooded jacket, blue pants and white gym shoes. No description is available for the getaway driver, who is the fourth suspect.

His wife Karen Armstrong-Williams said she is heartbroken.

“He was the rock of our family. Now he’s gone,” she said after the slaying.

Williams was a highly decorated 65-year-old fire lieutenant who retired just two years ago.

“There’s someone out here that knows who these individuals are. Do the right thing, remain anonymous,” Walker said. “One of the distinct things in our reward money is that you can receive a portion of the funds immediately. If you need those funds to relocate, to move, we just want justice for that family.”

No suspects are in custody at this time as Area South detectives continue the investigation. If you have any information, you can leave an anonymous tip at cpdtip.com. Video below at the link:

https://wgntv.com/news/chicago...chicago-firefighter/

Posts: 17281 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SF Jake
posted Hide Post
RIP Brother Williams. Frown

I hope they catch those guys quickly and the system works the way it was meant to!

Posts: 3121 | Location: southern connecticut | Registered: March 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Mr. Williams acted about as quickly and as well as can be expected given the circumstances. Damn. I can't see doing any better myself. Bastards. Praying for swift justice.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30433 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would not have reacted that fast. Just not trained but can remedy that.

Odd though, three black men kill another black man.....and crickets from protesters, Rev Sharpton and other race baiters.

By the way, over 360 blacks have been killed in Chicago since George Floyd’s death in late May.

P229

Posts: 3846 | Location: Sacramento, CA | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Very hard to prevail against 3 shooters engaging you from 3 different angles.
And his reaction time was excellent. The city of Chicago lost a good man.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16124 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
Two things:

First, anyone else wonder what's going on here? That was an awfully big, risky set up to steal an SUV. Four guys (including driver), daylight armed robbery in public. Makes me wonder if there was something in the car worth stealing, or maybe the fireman was into other things they could steal if they grabbed him. With all that effort and risk, they could have robbed a bank and directly gotten money. What's the fence value of the Grand Cherokee?

Second, did they import that reporter that day from Ireland to do the story? You just can't get any more Irish than that.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
I bet all three shooters are juveniles. An ambush. Murder for hire maybe?

Always easy to second guess. Take cover and return fire. He was in a very tough situation and did about the best he could other than pursing #1 out in the open.

I would think this will be solved pretty quickly.

May the Victim RIP. Nobody deserves to be gunned down like that. I wonder if the Vic had a Concealed permit.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19244 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
That was great reaction time from him.

Not sure why he left his cover though. While they could have flanked him successfully, once the shooting started, the cowards did what cowards do.

I assume the black lies matter crowd is going to march for justice for that brave man?

Posts: 13148 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fonky Honky
Picture of wildheartedson0105
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BBMW:
Two things:

First, anyone else wonder what's going on here? That was an awfully big, risky set up to steal an SUV. Four guys (including driver), daylight armed robbery in public. Makes me wonder if there was something in the car worth stealing, or maybe the fireman was into other things they could steal if they grabbed him. With all that effort and risk, they could have robbed a bank and directly gotten money. What's the fence value of the Grand Cherokee?

Rolling in a stolen vehicle, and had to get a fresh ride.

Happened to my mom last year, in her garage. Neighbors two houses up noticed a car behind a garage
that wasn't regular to the block. Police ran the plates. Stolen. Found her car a couple weeks later.
Wasn't fenced, just abandoned.

Firefighter was quick on the draw, for sure. Three on one are just not good odds. RIP.

Don't back up, don't back down.

Posts: 3413 | Location: Badger, Badger, Badger! | Registered: October 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If this gets solved, it won't be due to any help from the local community.

Just more insult to injury.

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rev. A. J. Forsyth
posted Hide Post
quote:

You're assuming criminals are intelligent. Homies needed a new ride. That's about it. These dudes kill each other for $5 debts and perceived slights.

Posts: 1639 | Location: Winston-Salem  | Registered: April 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree that leaving his position of cover was an error. Thugs are like sharks, they are only looking for an easy mark. Most likely they would have fled with only a moderate defense. RIP Dwain Williams, you put up a good fight.

-c1steve

Posts: 4063 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cne32507
posted Hide Post
Williams didn't drop his popcorn.

Posts: 2520 | Location: High Sierra & Low Desert | Registered: February 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Rolling in a stolen vehicle, and had to get a fresh ride.

That would be my guess, just saw a sole individual, older, going to a car, easy mark,
quick, drive off,

Posts: 23585 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
He engaged his closest threat first, the other threats were all covered by the Jeep.
3 against one are though odds to beat, He did a great job.

A local "news" anchor stated to the viewers that people should just surrender to the threat.
Looking at the video I doubt that surrendering would have had a better outcome. What a stupid suggestion from the reporter!

RIP sir!

Posts: 4638 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good reaction time!

As others stated he shouldn’t have left his cover, even better bound back behind the other car.

Easier said than done, especially under stress and without prior high stress or FoF training.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Good reaction time!

As others stated he shouldn’t have left his cover, even better bound back behind the other car.

Easier said than done, especially under stress and without prior high stress or FoF training.

The very reason I took Masaad Ayoob’s Stressfire Course. Move to cover while firing. It is a tragedy he was killed!

Those on this Forum would do well to get FoF training!

No quarter
.308/.223

Posts: 2085 | Location: Central Florida.  | Registered: March 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tleddy:
quote:
Good reaction time!

The very reason I took Masaad Ayoob’s Stressfire Course. Move to cover while firing. It is a tragedy he was killed!

Those on this Forum would do well to get FoF training!

I see it a bit different. Assuming he saw them, 2 were coming around the left side, so he attacked the weaker right side to keep his flank clear. If he'd gotten pinned down, he was done. He at least had a chance to get better cover & take the odds down by doing what he did. A tiny bit of luck with shot placement & it would have worked - the shitheads retreated from the counter attack.

Posts: 3298 | Location: IN | Registered: January 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
I think once the shooting started the clowns were done.

Please post updates on the murder investigation as it progress'.

The investigators must have a ton of evidence by now. Plenty of video on these guys driving around.

Just go get them. These kids are not Oxford students.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19244 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Happy to do so.

Posts: 17281 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post