SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    American Airlines cancels Airbus deal, will buy 787s instead
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

American Airlines cancels Airbus deal, will buy 787s instead Login/Join 
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted
Good news for the US:

“American Airlines has cancelled a major deal with Airbus for 22 A350s, announcing it has instead purchased 47 787 Dreamliners from rivals Boeing in a deal valued at $12 billion.

The sudden shift is a blow to France-based Airbus - who previously supplied American Airlines with nearly three dozen A350s…”

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/artic...cels-A350-order.html

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8980 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Help! Help!
I'm being repressed!

Picture of Skull Leader
posted Hide Post
I'll get my first ride on a 787 later this year in October on a flight from London to Denver. Looking forward to it. My sister works on the 787 in Charleston.

Posts: 11170 | Location: Big Sky Country | Registered: November 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
The 787 is a pleasure to fly in even on a very long flight (LAX-Dublin-Addis Ababa).

Posts: 18081 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
C'est la vie

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
GREAT news for Boeing. Buy American...this is awesome news!!

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Like the sticker says "If it's not Boeing, I'm not going."

Unless I have to...

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
It sounds to me that this means the AA side of the merged company is getting control over the US Airways side. AA had been buying only Boeing for a while before the merger. It looks like they're going back to that.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Stopped by the Boeing plant in WA., a few weeks ago, awesome facility, saw lots of foreign planes being built...a crew from China was there to pick up their plane and fly it back to China.

Keep America working.

Posts: 3232 | Location: Middle Earth, Rivendell | Registered: November 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
The chinese HATE the fact that they have to buy American or European planes. They're developing a domestic aircraft manufacturing industry as fast as they can. They're about ready with a 737 replacement. A wide body is going to take them a while.

quote:
Originally posted by rpm2010:
Stopped by the Boeing plant in WA., a few weeks ago, awesome facility, saw lots of foreign planes being built...a crew from China was there to pick up their plane and fly it back to China.

Keep America working.

No double standards
posted Hide Post
A bit related. Last Dec I flew Delta, IIRC read an article in their inflight magazine complaining that foreign countries subsidize their country's airline operations, making it hard for Delta to compete overseas. I then read that Delta is spending $12 Billion with Airbus rather than Boeing. But the EU subsidizes Airbus. Do Delta openly complains about gov't subsidies that hurt them, and openly takes advantage of gov't subsidies that help them.

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
PopeDaddy
Picture of x0225095
posted Hide Post
http://www.al.com/news/index.s..._plant_puts_ala.html

Airbus supplies jobs in the US too....

.... but yes, it’s an interesting battle between them and other players.

0:01

Posts: 4213 | Location: ALABAMA | Registered: January 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BBMW:
The chinese HATE the fact that they have to buy American or European planes. They're developing a domestic aircraft manufacturing industry as fast as they can. They're about ready with a 737 replacement. A wide body is going to take them a while.

China is expanding rapidly in aviation, but their pilots and their offerings are substandard by a wide margin. Their air traffic control system, still slowly becoming civilian, is still largely military and it's very poor. I've flown in their airspace, from their airports, and even trained their pilots, and I can say without hesitation that they're a long, long way from where they need to be to have their own aviation system. Not remotely close.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

quote:

Keep America working.

The next 10-years will be interesting in the aviation market place with China trying to push onto the world stage. I would image they'll take away Russian manufactures market share in Africa and other third-world countries as they work to drive lower prices and trade agreements get leveraged. Maintenance and safety response issues are still a challenge in China at all levels, however it may be better than what Russia is able to currently offer.

Posts: 14663 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
They're certainly making a significant effort

https://www.bloomberg.com/news...919-plane-after-2021

quote:
Originally posted by corsair:
quote:

quote:

Keep America working.

The next 10-years will be interesting in the aviation market place with China trying to push onto the world stage. I would image they'll take away Russian manufactures market share in Africa and other third-world countries as they work to drive lower prices and trade agreements get leveraged. Maintenance and safety response issues are still a challenge in China at all levels, however it may be better than what Russia is able to currently offer.