SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Best mid-level, moderately priced Irish Whiskey?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best mid-level, moderately priced Irish Whiskey? Login/Join 
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted
I just polished off the very last of my bottle of Writer's Tears, which I enjoyed, and find myself in need of another bottle of Irish whiskey. While I could just grab another bottle of WT, I figured this might be a good chance to branch out and try something new.

What's your recommendation for a good quality but reasonably priced (say $40-$70) Irish whiskey?

A quick dig around the Interwebs led me to potentially consider either Redbreast 12 or Green Spot.

Note that I'm not a huge hard liquor drinker, and it typically takes me several years to finish a bottle. I'd like to go higher quality than basic Jameson/Tullamore/etc., but can't justify paying the high prices for a high-end ultra-premium whiskey. And I don't tend to like the extra burn of the higher ABV whiskeys, so "cask strength" types are probably not good suggestions for me.

Posts: 32508 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Without question Redbreast 12 should top your list.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16214 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
I don’t claim expertise, but I’ve had no problem consuming a fair amount of Bushmills Black Bush.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8952 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned for
showing his ass
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:

+1

Posts: 3190 | Location: PNW | Registered: November 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
I'm fond of Tullamore Dew.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lt CHEG
posted Hide Post
Agree on the Redbreast 12 recommendation.

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.”

Posts: 5576 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: February 28, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:

+1

https://onbetterliving.com/buenavista-irish-coffee/

Posts: 11386 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pepsiblue
posted Hide Post
I too have heard a lot of good reviews for Tullamore Dew

10mm lays waste to entire cities, cuts through diamonds and will tear Superman a new asshole. - Parabellum

Sex offenders can not be rehabilitated. It's in their wiring. They should not be released back into the general public. On the other hand they should not be warehoused either. I think they should be executed.....Spectre

When someone tries to kill you, it doesn't matter how they are doing it. You're in mortal danger, and it's time to try to kill them back.

Arc.
___

Kill every last one of these goddamned animals. We need a president with balls. We need leadership. We should be carpet bombing these barbarians wherever we find them, and we should be looking for them 24/7. We have to unleash Hell upon them. They understand nothing but death, so death is what we should bring them, wholesale.... Para

I left "practical" behind many years ago. It was covered with my first Glock 19. (Fredward)

Posts: 2495 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: July 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aileron
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old dino:
quote:

+1

+2

Posts: 1480 | Location: Montana - bear country | Registered: March 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by aileron:
quote:
Originally posted by old dino:
quote:

+1

+2

+1000

The only thing I've found that is better than Red Breast is Middleton. And that's in the "Blue Label" price range.

Posts: 4714 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Really like Teeling small batch.

Posts: 1962 | Location: Indiana or Florida depending on season  | Registered: March 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Greenspot or Yellowspot for a little more.

Posts: 22907 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
PopeDaddy
Picture of x0225095
posted Hide Post
Redbreast 12 as has been said.

Wife and I also really enjoy Jameson Black.

0:01

Posts: 4211 | Location: ALABAMA | Registered: January 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
:^)
Picture of BillyBonesNY
posted Hide Post
Redbreast 12, my favorite of the Jameson brands.

An extended layover in Dublin in 2018 exposed me to a newer Distiller, Teelings, which I also like.

But Redbreast is my favorite.

----------------------------------------
http://lonesurvivorfoundation.org

Posts: 7179 | Registered: March 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arabiancowboy
posted Hide Post
Went to Ireland in September. Aside from the brands mentioned, West Cork is pretty good.

Posts: 2399 | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
Another idea would be Auchentoshan. It's a scotch, but it's triple distilled and made close to Irish.
Otherwise, RedBreast 12 is a safe winner.

Posts: 4166 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:

As am I.

Jameson Stout is another one I like quite a bit that is easy on the wallet. It’s Jameson Irish Whiskey aged in stout barrels. They have an IPA too but the stout is my favorite.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15254 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Redbreast 12 Cask Strength is a worthy step up from the standard 12yr if you want to kick it up a notch. Either will scratch your itch.

Posts: 4278 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Quiet Man
posted Hide Post
Redbreast 12. About $70 in these parts and well worth it.

The cask strength is about $110 (when I can find it) and is epic. Probably my favorite whiskey or all time. It’s spendy, but you don’t need much. That bottle lasts awhile.

Posts: 2593 | Registered: November 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Tullamore Dew

But I have to say it is one of the smoothest bourbons I've ever tasted that somehow claims to be an Irish Whiskey.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post