SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Blood Con - Theranos
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Blood Con - Theranos Login/Join 
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
https://www.wsj.com/articles/t...-charges-11561754180

28 June 2019

Theranos Founder Elizabeth Holmes to Face Trial Next Year on Fraud Charges

Elizabeth Holmes, the founder of disgraced blood-testing startup Theranos Inc., will face trial in federal court in August 2020 alongside her former deputy on charges that they lied to doctors and patients about test results and deceived investors about the company’s finances.

U.S. District Judge Edward J. Davila scheduled the trial for Ms. Holmes and her former deputy, Ramesh “Sunny” Balwani at a hearing here on Friday. Jury selection will start the week of July 28, 2020. The trial is scheduled to start Aug. 4 and will last about three months, he said.

Ms. Holmes and Mr. Balwani, both of whom attended the hearing, each face up to 20 years in prison as well as fines of more than $2 million apiece and restitution to victims.

Theranos reached a valuation of $9 billion before the startup unraveled after a series of Wall Street Journal articles about its practices.

Posts: 19606 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
She's going to get her just rewards.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31485 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sure is a slow process. A year delay? Review lots of documents I guess. She has had the best lawyers money could buy. She could have kids by then.

Posts: 17281 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
These are complicated cases. There's a lot of forensic accounting involved.

quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
Sure is a slow process. A year delay? Review lots of documents I guess. She has had the best lawyers money could buy. She could have kids by then.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
These are complicated cases. There's a lot of forensic accounting involved.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Sounds like a REAL SNOOZER for the poor jury members. Maybe a hysterical attorney can make it exciting. Some of them are quite silver tongued and humorous.

Posts: 17281 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
An investment in knowledge
pays the best interest
posted Hide Post
Forensic Accounting?
This isn’t an embezzlement case. She lied to investors, collaborators and the public with plenty of material evidence. No venture capital firm with a minimum of life sciences experience touched Theranos, mine included. You still aren’t allowed to lie to those that are unskilled in the industry/science though, let alone put the public’s health at risk, and I think it’s ridiculous how slow it’s taking to put the delusional bitch and Sunny behind bars. The Liars want to delay the trial as long as possible b/c of the strength of the case against them and try to stir up sentiment against the Gov’t + what they hope is a perceived “over zealous” reporter. Let’s hope that strategy backfires, although the kooky (engaged) bitch will probably try to get pregnant in the interim to further bolster sympathy.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Dakor,

Posts: 3362 | Location: Mid-Atlantic | Registered: December 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
New strategy here. I think this reflects on her character. I am sure the WSJ has a bevy of attorneys to address this issue. I hope they slap her for a friviolous lawsuit on this one. Vicious woman she is.
Here is the story:

Elizabeth Holmes goes on trial next year on charges of criminal fraud, and Bloomberg reports that her legal team is working on an unexpected legal strategy. They're going after reporter John Carreyrou, whose investigative pieces in the Wall Street Journal led to the unraveling of Holmes' blood-testing company, Theranos. Holmes plans to argue that Carreyrou didn't just report on Theranos, but urged sources to file formal complaints against the company and exerted influence "on the regulatory process in a way that appears to have warped the agencies' focus on the company and possibly biased the agencies' findings against it," according to a court filing obtained by Bloomberg's Josh Rosenblatt.

The legal team is essentially saying that Carreyrou became a part of the story he was reporting on, and swayed regulators to come down harder on the company then they would have otherwise. The Journal, however, stands by Carreyrou's reporting. Meanwhile, a formal federal prosecutor tells Bloomberg the strategy could be dismissed in court as irrelevant—because the case is about Theranos' allegedly bogus biotech claims, not about Carreyrou. The trial is to start in July 2020, with Holmes and former Theranos exec Ramesh "Sunny" Balwani facing up to 20 years in prison and fines of $2 million, per the Journal. They also might have to pay restitution to those who invested in the company.
LINk: https://www.newser.com/story/2...-legal-strategy.html

posted Hide Post
She may have millions socked away somewhere, I suspect the attorneys are trying to make some money, and giving Ms. Holmes false hope.

-c1steve

Posts: 4064 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post