SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Africa Twin!
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Africa Twin! Login/Join 
Picture of IntrepidTraveler
posted
Well, I pulled the trigger and got my Africa Twin! Looking forward to some fun riding. Here it is, fresh off the floor:

From the front, it looks kind of like a Transformer. My daughter named it Hondamus Prime:

Thus the metric system did not really catch on in the States, unless you count the increasing popularity of the nine-millimeter bullet.
- Dave Barry

"Never go through life saying 'I should have'..." - quote from the 9/11 Boatlift Story (thanks, sdy for posting it)

Posts: 3305 | Location: Carlsbad NM/ Augusta GA | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Charmingly unsophisticated
Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
Me likee

The artist formerly known as AllenInWV

Posts: 16197 | Location: Harrison, AR | Registered: February 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
Congrats on the new bike. Haven't ridden an Africa Twin yet but its on my short list. Have fun and ride carefully.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
drop and give me
20 pushups
posted Hide Post
Hi Ho Hondamus Prime !! Many happy miles. ................... drill sgt.

Posts: 2047 | Location: denham springs , la | Registered: October 19, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
Nice!! For reference in that first pic, how tall a boy are ya? Kinda comparing seat height vs the big BMW...

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6391 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Nice lookin' scoot!
Makes me miss riding. Will have to twist my f-i-l's arm & get the bikes out once we have a decent weather weekend.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15482 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
crazy heart
Picture of mod29
posted Hide Post
Nice scooter, congrats!

Posts: 1785 | Location: WA | Registered: January 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
An Adventure Sport version too, congratulations! I can't tell, manual transmission? I have a 2020 Africa Twin basic, 6-speed. Will you be getting panniers?

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7150 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Congrats! That looks like a ton of fun! I tried the ADV bike thing with a BMW R1150GS but I’m just not at a place in my life where I can go on adventures riding and camping out in the middle of nowhere for days at a time. One day I hope that will change and that’s the bike I would choose for that purpose.

Putting a front dirt bike style fender on that bike completely changes it’s look. Don’t get me wrong, I’m not saying there is anything bad about the way they look but if you ever get tired of it’s looks one fairly inexpensive part can really change it’s overall appearance.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21160 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Nice, congrats on the new bike!

Posts: 23695 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by slabsides45:
Nice!! For reference in that first pic, how tall a boy are ya? Kinda comparing seat height vs the big BMW...

5' 9". Seat is in the lower position. It's a little higher than I'm used to, but it's my first ADV bike, and the suspension has a lot more travel than road bikes. I'm considering maybe a Corbin low saddle, but I'll ride this a bit to see how it works out.

Fun so far! I'm still learning what all the buttons do. Can you believe, this thing has Apple Car Play?

Thus the metric system did not really catch on in the States, unless you count the increasing popularity of the nine-millimeter bullet.
- Dave Barry

"Never go through life saying 'I should have'..." - quote from the 9/11 Boatlift Story (thanks, sdy for posting it)

Posts: 3305 | Location: Carlsbad NM/ Augusta GA | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too soon old,
too late smart
posted Hide Post
Boy, those little motorcycles we used to see in front of stores have come a long way. Big Grin
Have yourself a lot of safe fun.

Posts: 4757 | Location: Southern Texas | Registered: May 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Nice! Did you get the tradional transmission or the DCT?

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23392 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
Nice! Did you get the traditional transmission or the DCT?

DCT. It's my concession to getting older.....

- Dave Barry

Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
^^ How do you like the DCT so far? How is it at parking lot speeds, how is it in traffic, how is it on the trail?

I'm seriously considering getting a Goldwing DCT for my 50th.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23392 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
^^ How do you like the DCT so far? How is it at parking lot speeds, how is it in traffic, how is it on the trail?

Shadow, Scout, G'Wing is quite the evolution.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15482 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So I still find myself reaching for the clutch. In place of the clutch, they put a parking brake. (You can't rely on it being "in gear" to keep it from rolling when off.) But the parking brake lever is pushed way forward so you can't accidentally grab it out of habit - you need to really reach for it with your left hand. The Gold Wing parking brake is on the lower left fairing. I was going back and forth between the Africa Twin and Gold Wing, but decided I'd like to use it to get more off the beaten path.

I'm surprisingly impressed with the DCT so far. Shifting is smooth at all speeds. It seems to lug a bit, but that's because I've mainly ridden on street in "touring" mode, which is programmed for fuel efficiency and not sport. there are three "sport" modes with different aggressiveness. I haven't had it on the trail yet, only on a short gravel road, but it seems decent.

- Dave Barry

Picture of fwbulldog
posted Hide Post
Congrats on the bike. Can't go wrong with an AT.

quote:

On my recent trip through Utah I rode with a guy on an AT with DCT. He absolutely kicked my ass with that AT. Slow stuff crawling over baby-heads, rutted up hill climb, gravel, sand, and hauling ass on hero dirt. Everybody that I know that has DCT likes it.

Posts: 3022 | Location: Round Rock | Registered: February 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Down the Rabbit Hole
Picture of Jupiter
posted Hide Post
Congrats.
You're going to love exploring the backroads on that bad boy. I've got to get another one at some point.

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
-- George Orwell

Posts: 4838 | Location: North Mississippi | Registered: August 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
My daughter named it Hondamus Prime

She's not wrong! Big Grin

Enjoy in good health.

Posts: 17295 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post