SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    jhe888, you were asking about UJM's a while back...looks like Kawasaki is bringing one back
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

jhe888, you were asking about UJM's a while back...looks like Kawasaki is bringing one back Login/Join 
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
<---- Waiting for the new V4 Panigale reveal......and how much it's gonna cost!

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12644 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:
Woodman, did your CB900 have the 10 speed or whatever it was transmission?

The hi/low gearing was for city/highway driving. Some accounts place it as a "sixth gearing" when running it on High 1-5, then dropping the hi/low into Low. But driving it like that is way too much thinking. If you're driving with speed, all out, you'd keep the engine between mid-range and into red-line. No sense in bothering with a hi/low, just keep the bike in Low and hold on.

There was also a CB900F with a bench seat. In 1983 Devon Honda (PA) had an '82 CB900F leftover in a dark purple for sale cheap. $3,200? In the window they also had a leftover 125cc scooter with factory baskets for $500.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Prefontaine, from the pics I've seen leaked online the new Ducati is looking damn good. The tail looks especially good. It'll be interesting to see the actual bike for sure.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21117 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just peaked at four new motorcycle web sites,
Is it just me ?
or do all the guys on motorcycles look like they are around 5 ft. 1" or 5 ft 3" tall?

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54658 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bunch of savages
in this town
Picture of ASKSmith
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
I just peaked at four new motorcycle web sites,
Is it just me ?
or do all the guys on motorcycles look like they are around 5 ft. 1" or 5 ft 3" tall?

Jackie "Jay" Gleason?

Back in the day, early 80's, he was the 1/4 mile master. Built like a jockey, about 5'2" 120lbs. All the biker mags used him to get the best performance numbers from a stock bike.

-----------------
I apologize now...

Posts: 10552 | Registered: December 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
I LOVED the feel and ride of the Suzuki GS series. My brother had a 1978/79-ish GS550 that I rode probably more than he did. The in-line 4-cylinder made that thing run smooth as silk. I'd entertain the idea of a GS750 or GS1000 if it were to come back around. Problem is, with two cars already in the garage, I have nowhere to park it. First world problems...

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Woodman:
A college kid bought it, dropped $$$ into it, and sold it to me for his purchase price after three months. I enjoyed it a year or so, did a tune up and a carb synchronization, and sold it for my purchase price.

I bought the same exact bike, color and all, new in 1980, as a college student and sold it after 10 months in AL. That was an awesome bike!!! Never thought I could keep it on the back wheel from 2-4th gear, but it wasn't that hard!!!

Posts: 869 | Location: Alabama | Registered: January 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diogenes' Quarry
Picture of at-home-daddy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Voshterkoff:
The local shop has a new old stock CB1100 that keeps dropping in price. Sadly I can barely garage my cbr.

I've been watching that same bike at Ride Motorsports. Love that model. But given that budget and garage space dictates only one bike at a time (and I just bought a new FJR), I won't be taking it off their hands, either.

Posts: 5088 | Location: Western WA  | Registered: October 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bluecobra:
Never thought I could keep it on the back wheel from 2-4th gear, but it wasn't that hard!!!

Mine was bought from a Villanova student. He dropped $1,100 into it, I think. I bought/sold for $1,800 in '96 - '98 or so.

There are worse reasons to gain weight. Wink I gained to be able to safely thread 2" pipe.

Now about the Hi/Low, I may have the terms mixed up. No surprise there.

But one extended the usable RPM band of each gear. That is the one I'd ride in all the time with no passenger or gear. The bike would do 15mph to 90mph in 3rd gear, RPMs revving nearly the same, 1500 to 9000. Pretty insane when you're revving that high, the noise.

One evening a friend-chick biker's clutch cable broke, so we switched bikes 'cause I'd go ahead and pop the clutch through city traffic - no fear. Her bike was a POS vibrator assembly with wheels. And she rode the '900. Her take? "It's so big and solid!" It really is. A big, heavy bike. 520 pounds.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post