SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Choir practice ... ( LEO )
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Choir practice ... ( LEO ) Login/Join 
Banned for
showing his ass
posted
I was just chatting with some guys about choir practices we used to have after work and how they have changed from the 70s ( my beginning days ) to now ( ain't happening ).

Those times in my career were priceless and built a brotherhood that is not found today.

It is hard to explain to anyone who was not a law enforcement officer ... but the LEOs on this forum understand what I am saying.

Gawd, there are stories to tell, and some I can never tell.

Posts: 3190 | Location: PNW | Registered: November 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I went to choir practice many times in the eighties. Good times!

Posts: 118 | Location: KDTO...NTX | Registered: October 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned for
showing his ass
posted Hide Post
Been to so many can not count in the 70s and 80s.

No wonder Wambaugh wrote the Choirboys ...

Posts: 3190 | Location: PNW | Registered: November 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have bitched at my current PD how the camaraderie and sense of family is lost these days due to no one wanting to socialize outside of work anymore.

Posts: 490 | Location: DFW, TX | Registered: September 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
After a senior guy was caught with another guys wife, the choir practice stopped.

Dude lost his job and the husband left to another dept

IA began hunting people on their time off if it was even heard people were having fun.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11286 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The manager of our local movie theater loved cops.
He would open the theater for us at 8AM for choir practice. Multiple agencies attended. Free private movie showing and refreshments from our coolers.
Great times!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16096 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC:
After a senior guy was caught with another guys wife, the choir practice stopped.

Dude lost his job and the husband left to another dept

IA began hunting people on their time off if it was even heard people were having fun.

Dumbasses. That’s too bad. Now for Rat Squad (IA). Can’t find anything else to do except looking for people having fun and try to hang the m out to dry.

Posts: 4059 | Registered: January 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of creslin
posted Hide Post
OK so for those of us who are not cops...
WTF is choir practice?
I assume it's not a group of y'all sitting around singing church songs.

This is where my signature goes.

Posts: 1541 | Location: Kernersville, NC | Registered: June 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A couple of us will have choir practice every couple months either at a bar that opens at 0600 when we got off of mids. Or at the local private cigar/whiskey lounge/club. It is hard to do w/ peoples schedules.

Now this newer generation it is difficult to get them to do anything extra. I think it is a generational thing. Look at all the fraternal organizations dying off including American Legions, VFW’s, DAV’s, Moose, Elks, etc…

Posts: 4059 | Registered: January 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
WTF is choir practice?
Code word for going off somewhere, getting drunk and blowing off steam. Read Joseph Wambaugh's The Choirboys. There was a movie made of it, but it sucked.

Posts: 27964 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned for
showing his ass
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore:
quote:
WTF is choir practice?
Code word for going off somewhere, getting drunk and blowing off steam. Read Joseph Wambaugh's The Choirboys. There was a movie made of it, but it sucked.

Figured that would get asked ...

Read Joseph Wambaugh's book "The Choirboys"

Choir practice nearly everyday after work in a parking lot or wherever. Especially when the beer was "donated" ( fireworks sometimes donated too ).

If the wife asks why late getting home, the classic answer was, ... "was at choir practice".

Being from a larger department, our choir practice was usually four to ten of us. Choir practice was outdoors or in a covered parking lot and include sometimes some shenanigans.

Picture of Lt CHEG
posted Hide Post
I came on the job in 2004 and we still had choir practice once a month, especially in the nice weather. It absolutely contributed to the camaraderie and I miss those days immensely.

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.”

Posts: 5578 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: February 28, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ftttu
posted Hide Post
I hit the streets in '91, and I've been to a few since I'm a family guy and don't drink. Some turned into cookouts, but mostly they were just a few beers in a parking lot within a mile or two of the station.

Years went buy, and after we started getting take-home units, they became fewer and fewer.

Retired Texas Lawman, now active reserve

Posts: 1175 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 03, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
I really think it comes from being worked too much these days. If you’re lucky enough to even get off on time, after a 10 or 12 hour shift running call to call, you’re just ready to be home. Throw in the extra mandatory days because of events and being short staffed, officers are just over it.

I had this discussion today actually, with a guy that’s on his last month before retirement. The focus has shifted and I don’t think it’ll ever be the same.

And a lot of the choir practice shenanigans, when you include cell phones and social media, would get you suspended these days.

It’s truly sad.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sr_Bull:
I have bitched at my current PD how the camaraderie and sense of family is lost these days due to no one wanting to socialize outside of work anymore.

Ditto. I did 25 years here in Utah and retired without a word. Haven't spoken to any officers I worked with and don't plan on it. I miss the job but not the people I worked with for 25 years.

Posts: 7724 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Bishop Of Death
posted Hide Post
Many a good time at choir practice. Things started to change around 1983. New graduates didn't have the same attitude about teamwork, it was all about growing their own stats, and glory.

Under Construction

Posts: 362 | Location: Western North Carolina | Registered: September 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by creslin:
OK so for those of us who are not cops...
WTF is choir practice?
I assume it's not a group of y'all sitting around singing church songs.
I'm also uncertain as to the meaning. I go to Choir Practice every Wednesday evening, but I'm sure it's not the same experience. Smile

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dfwglockguy:
I went to choir practice many times in the eighties. Good times!

It wasn’t just LEOs. Us fire guys used to call it a BBB. The Booze for Breakfast Bunch. Cool

We had a local cop (who we all knew) drive up to us when we had an impromptu BBB in the parking lot of a local store that wouldn’t open for another 2 hrs.
(Had an early morning house fire, everyone was pumped up)
He said, “Guys, don’t do this here out in front of God and everybody.”
Okay, duly noted - my house was only a couple miles down the road, we moved there.
The fellowship was awesome. We didn’t need to prove how much testosterone we had, cuz we all had plenty, that was a given. It was just good fun and getting to celebrate friendship.

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3775 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
The Roscoe Rules characters kind of ruined choir practice for everyone

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum's Official
Metalhead
Picture of DTREND75
posted Hide Post
We still have Choir practice. Different generations of officers go to different churches to practice.

Sensitive and caring since August 2009

Some people are like a Slinky....not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs.

Posts: 3810 | Location: PSST! Look behind you! | Registered: July 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post