SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    NC judge strikes down voter ID constitutional amendment that 55% of voters approved in November.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

NC judge strikes down voter ID constitutional amendment that 55% of voters approved in November. Login/Join 
posted
https://www.washingtonexaminer...n-voter-id-amendment

A controversial voter ID amendment in North Carolina is no more.

The measure was one of two constitutional amendments passed in the last election that a superior court judge in North Carolina threw out on Friday.

Wake County Judge Bryan Collins ruled that a new voter ID amendment and a cap on state income tax, both passed by North Carolina residents in the 2018 midterm elections, violated the state constitution.

The amendments were a product of a controversial legislative process in Raleigh. The ballot items were ultimately written and approved by members who were elected within gerrymandered constituencies that had been previously ruled unconstitutional. A panel of three federal judges found in 2016 that the lines were drawn in a way that deliberately diminished African-American voters' representation.

On the voter ID amendment, Collins wrote, “an illegally constituted General Assembly does not represent the people of North Carolina and is therefore not empowered to pass legislation that would amend the state’s constitution."

T. Anthony Spearman, the head of the North Carolina NAACP, applauded the judge's ruling in a statement and called for more steps to ensure better racial representation in the state's democratic institutions.

“We are delighted that the acts of the previous majority, which came to power through the use of racially discriminatory maps, have been checked,” said Spearman. “The prior General Assembly’s attempt to use its ill-gotten power to enshrine a racist photo voter ID requirement in the state constitution was particularly egregious, and we applaud the court for invalidating these attempts at unconstitutional overreach.”

North Carolina Republican Party Chairman Robin Hayes says that the Collins ruling is a constitutional overreach.

“These amendments were placed on the ballot and passed by an overwhelming majority of North Carolinians,” Hayes said, per the News and Observer. “This unprecedented and absurd ruling by a liberal judge is the very definition of judicial activism.”

Voters approved two other constitutional amendments last election cycle: a reformation of the state's hunting rules, and an expansion of rights in the state's court system to crime victims. While both of those amendments were also written and approved by the state's General Assembly the same way the voter ID and cap on state income tax amendments were, neither were part of the Collins ruling.

The constitutional amendment showdown that ensues with the ruling only adds to the list of controversies that have rocked North Carolina politics in the last months. The Tar Heel State's board of elections called this week for a new election in the congressional race between the GOP's Mark Harris and Democrat Dan McCready. The elections supervising entity declined to certify the results of that race after allegations of illegal absentee ballot tampering by the Harris campaign.

Posts: 12743 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
This ruling will be overturned, I hope. It certainly ought to be.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 9004 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Haveme1or2
posted Hide Post
I sure didn't know NC was heading democrat when I chose to move here. The taxes are outrageous and the inmates are running the prison .....
If not for the Pita of moving I'd go somewhere else.

Posts: 1002 | Location: Mint Hill NC | Registered: November 26, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
I love the voter ID arguments.

Why? Because those who supposedly are "oppressed" by them, don't realize that they are too stupid to vote by the very nature that their representatives outwardly say that they are too stupid to be able to follow the rules.

Of course, that doesn't apply to all of the illegals, and dead people that vote that these laws protect.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37120 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of MG34_Dan
posted Hide Post
Hmm. It's been said many times before.

“Elections have consequences, and at the end of the day, I won.”
– Barack Hussein Obama, January 23, 2009

Posts: 2193 | Location: Austin Texas USA | Registered: February 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
I love the voter ID arguments.

Why? Because those who supposedly are "oppressed" by them, don't realize that they are too stupid to vote by the very nature that their representatives outwardly say that they are too stupid to be able to follow the rules.

Yeah who's racist? Those who want voter ID so everyone can vote once and only once? Or those who say certain minorities are too stupid to get voter ID?

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24183 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of got2hav1
posted Hide Post
Just dumbfounded !
Crap like this is why people don't vote.

JEREMIAH 33:3

Posts: 2776 | Location: Eastern NC | Registered: March 14, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by got2hav1:
Just dumbfounded !

Crap like this why people vote twice, thrice, even four times!

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30435 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of got2hav1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
quote:
Originally posted by got2hav1:
Just dumbfounded !

Crap like this why people vote twice, thrice, even four times!

You are right about that.

JEREMIAH 33:3

Posts: 2776 | Location: Eastern NC | Registered: March 14, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
I look at it this way

if you're too stupid to get a voter ID, then you're too stupid to vote

which is probably the right answer because we don't want stupid people making stupid decisions affecting those of us that know better

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53240 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
^^^^^ Proclaiming that would be decried as "racist".

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
Put another burden on people to be able to vote?
(1st Amendement)
How about the same with owning or buying a gun...
(2nd)
yes we have it for FFL purchases but what about personal? I bet many of you would pitch a fit... they actually have this already in N.C.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
This is great news. Now I can vote for trump 17 times. The voting requirements in NC are an absolute joke. They invite fraud.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21129 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Whack-Job
Whisperer
Picture of 18DAI
posted Hide Post
The democrat libtards don't want voter ID in NC, because it will make it impossible to steal elections. They will have to resort to continuing to tamper with voting machines as they did in Greensboro in 2016 and 2012.

NC is on the verge of becoming a blue state. Voter ID Laws may delay that, for a little while anyway. Regards 18DAI

7+1 Rounds of hope and change

Posts: 4231 | Registered: August 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
Wait till the appeal of the appeal before giving up on this one.

The rocket surgeon has a very novel, flawed, convoluted premise which I will summarize:

he doesn't like how some of the districts were drawn ->
the entire legislature is invalid ->
everything they touch is bad ->
although the voters passed the amendment, the 'bad people' touched it, so =>
screw the voters.

Should hold up for, oh, femtoseconds, after receiving attention from adult supervision higher up the chain.

We wound up with a democrat state supreme court after the democrats put up one of theirs labeled as a republican to split the R vote last Fall so adult supervision most likely will be the Supremes.

Posts: 15037 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
He's saying it violates the state constitution. I think someone needs to start the process to amend the state constitution to allow the acts in those referendums to proceed.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
This is truly the era of Judicial tyranny.

Maybe someone should ask this rocket scientist judge, if the legislature is invalid (as his reasoning for overturning these two constitutional amendments notes) then by correlation NOTHING the legislature does is legally valid. So shouldn't the capitol be locked up tight until a new legislature this judge approves of can be seated? Roll Eyes

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post