SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Another HVAC question regarding air filters
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Another HVAC question regarding air filters Login/Join 
Partial dichotomy
posted
I have an odd sized filter in my unit; 16 3/8 x 21 1/2. I can find them online, but only in MERV 8 or higher.

Any suggestions where I can find these with an easier air flow? Thanks.

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38690 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
I've never seen that size air filter.

Posts: 13682 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had the same problem. I had them specially made for awhile then stopped because of the cost. I am assuming the filter is for the return??? If so enlarge the size of the opening. Worked for me.

Posts: 17250 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
I'd never seen that size before either. Why???

https://www.amazon.com/Aerosta...id=1673734752&sr=8-5

I can get these....and probably will, but I was hoping to get less restrictive filters.

Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38690 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Firearms Enthusiast
Picture of Mustang-PaPa
posted Hide Post
Could you not build an adapter frame or semi frame to get you to a std size filter.

A little effort might make filter finding easier.

Posts: 18040 | Location: South West of Fort Worth, Tx. | Registered: December 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Blame the contractor.

Posts: 17250 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Before I changed the size of the opening I had one specially made. Got tired of cleaning it.

Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mustang-PaPa:
Could you not build an adapter frame or semi frame to get you to a std size filter.

A little effort might make filter finding easier.

Perhaps with some sheet metal frigging around, but I'd rather not have to do that. Amazon has a bunch of choices in this size, I was surprised. Just none that are less than MERV 8. Hardware and big box stores never heard of this size.

Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
is this a return duct in a wall?

it is likely possible to take out the odd size and replace it with a standard size. a little bigger wont hurt the airflow. the duct itself is the choke.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5054 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
This filter is in the furnace.

Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Carrier is that way, wanting you to buy from them, ours isn't standard but found it on Amazon, reminds me, it's time to change the filter....

Posts: 23489 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
https://pureairfiltersdirect.com/

These people are great to deal with (local to me). The blue/white filter is Merv 6 and the orange ia Merv 7 I believe.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the link, jimmy.

posted Hide Post
Depending on the air handler position and install, a Honeywell 16x20 media cabinet might be a simple install.

I can get you the fiberglass filters, but they are not cheap. 16.50 each, 12 per box - plus shipping.

Unless you have some major restrictions with the install, I'd highly recommend the media filter upgrade.

Posts: 10056 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I got a new Carrier system. Filter size is 21 1/2 by 16 1/2
The only place I could find them was Amazon. Merv 11.

Posts: 957 | Location: Mason, Ohio | Registered: September 16, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the additional thoughts.

I ended up ordering a six pack of MERV 8's from Amazon. As you, Excam_Man, has suggested in the past, I wanted a less "efficient" filter, but I'll plan to replace these a bit more often.

Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
MERV 8 should be fine.

I use this one:
Trion Air Bear 255649-102 (3 Pack) - Pleated Air Filter 20"x25"x5" MERV 8
SKU: TRION255649-102-3

https://www.discountfurnacefilter.com/

Thanks for the reminder, it's time to change the filter....

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24137 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
K&N the automotive filter company makes high flow
HVAC filters, I checked and the closest size to your filter is a 16x20. They did have my shop filter size of 16x25 $31.99 and free shipping. Decided to order it and give it a try.

Posts: 425 | Location: Kansas | Registered: August 28, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 220 | Location: SE Pennsylvania | Registered: May 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post