SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Why carry a gun your only going to.......
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Why carry a gun your only going to....... Login/Join 
posted
This is a talking point with the the looney left that will fall on deaf ears. You're only going to the market,gas station,Walmart or the mall even church.Why do you need a gun? Hope the number of new gun owners may help. But maybe untrained folks will be an issue as well. Buying a piano doesn't make you a musician. Hope just a percentage of these folks out there will help our cause. Millions of new gun owners halve to make a difference.

Posts: 141 | Location: Ma. | Registered: November 18, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Carry everywhere all the time.

Posts: 22923 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Simply do not engage such questions.

You will not "win" a anti-gun person.

And it is a bullshit argument.

If I "have to carry a gun" to go anywhere, I have no need, desire or likelihood of going there.

I do not "have to carry a gun". I choose to carry, because there is no guaranty that anyone one of the nearly 8 billion people will protect or defend my life, but the number of them that would threaten my life, are in the many of millions.

And the any one that understands that, likely does not engage such a question, either.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43907 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Why have a fire extinguisher at home? The chances you'll have a fire are pretty low, and that's why we have a fire department. Same irrational argument.

If I knew in advance I would need a gun, my preferred option would be to not go to that place at that time, and the less favorable option would be take a long gun and friends with long guns.

Don't forget, many self defense uses of firearms don't even result in a shot being fired. The overall number of armed people increasing is definitely going to be a deterrent, at least against opportunistic criminals.

If you're specifically targeted, that's not going to help.

The higher the number of armed people who aren't going to cause harm, the better the odds of being able to stop someone before significant harm is done.

-------------
$

Posts: 7655 | Location: Mid-Michigan, USA | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
I wear my seatbelt all the time, but back in 1995, if I knew that I was going to roll my car, I NEVER would have left my driveway. . .

BS argument, but it's also easy to refute. The seatbelt/fire extinguisher/lock your doors examples may help those that at least are capable of rational thought of seeing your perspective.

Of course, there is no hope for the rabid leftist kool-aid drinkers.

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21850 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Do you only carry fire insurance on your house in stormy weather?

Posts: 12699 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
The Golden State Rapist/Murderer came to my house in an upscale almost crime free neighborhood one night many years ago. At that time I almost never had a gun on my person while in the house.

Why do I need to carry a gun in my house? Because he knew I was carrying and decided to back off that night. Now I carry at home all the time.

I can't predict where and when bad stuff will happen, so I'm always prepared.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I live in Chicago.
Need I say more?

I have actually had a few "converts" over the years. It doesn't happen overnight, it takes a while, and something drastic and close to home usually changes the mind, but it does happen!

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8354 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
Simple: Because you don’t choose the timing of an attacker.

Really couldn’t care less about changing anybody else’s mind. That’s my reason and it’s good enough for me. YMMV.

Posts: 6920 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
It's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it. But then, that will go right over their head. So, yes, as stated above, do not waste your time engaging these assholes.

Q

Posts: 26424 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sorry guys I guess my post lacked direction. The chances of changing people's mind on this subject is probably close to nil but we can hope. I was going to include some of the quotes from better more qualified than me. The quote about not going anywhere you think need a gun has changed in this new world to include every possible place you can think of. I believe you should carry everywhere. Places who post no concealed weapons included. That's why it's called concealed!!

Posts: 141 | Location: Ma. | Registered: November 18, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
I don't give a tinker damn what people think,I carry when I put my pants on and wherever I go

Posts: 22410 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
I don't share that I'm armed with anyone. I conceal everywhere so I don't have to give away any of my precious fucks on irritating questions.

Posts: 10850 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
.....because carrying a cop is too heavy.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29711 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...910034734#9910034734
quote:
From time to time, I mention the following story, and now seems kind of appropriate. I was visiting a friend who lived near Little Five Points. This was in the 1990s, during the AWB. I found a G19 magazine at a pawn shop in the area that day and I left it on my friend's end table while we went out for dinner. When we returned, my friend's roommate was there and he really wanted to know who owned the Glock magazine. When I told him it was mine, he proceeded to lecture me about the evils of high capacity magazines and about the danger to society of firearms in general. Sure, whatever.

Maybe a month or so later, my friend asked me to pick up his new water heater for him. I had a truck and he did not. Early one Saturday morning, I went over to his place and picked up his roommate. We went to this plumbing supply place off of Moreland Avenue, somewhere around Kirkland IIRC. Not the best or safest area of Atlanta. It wasn't even 10 o'clock in the morning and there was a group of guys standing on the street corner, passing around a bottle in a paper bag. Roomie gets out of my truck, sees these guys, sticks his head back into the cab of my truck and asks me if I have "that Glock" with me.

Yeah, I've got "that Glock" with me, you shameless hypocrite. Roll Eyes

Posts: 107640 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
My standard response to this ridiculous question is....If you can look into your crystal ball and tell me the specific location, date, and time I'll 'need' to carry my gun, then I will only carry it on 'that' day. Short of that, it stays on my hip daily if, or until, that day arrives."

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
drop and give me
20 pushups
posted Hide Post
If awake my preference is concealed carry because open carry brings to much attention to the open carry option is perfectly legal here. Have let private business that they were loosing my business because they had posted the no firearms sticker on their enterance pathways that blocked my right to defend myself if that was needed... When asked if they would prefer to have a good guy with a gun on their property responding or 10 police officers on the phone and some response time away??? ..................... drill sgt.

Posts: 2014 | Location: denham springs , la | Registered: October 19, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
I prefer the simplicity of 'If I'm wearing pants, then I'm wearing a pistol.'

Posts: 7266 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
St. Vitus
Dance Instructor
Picture of blueye
posted Hide Post
I hate guns is my usual response when talking to a stranger. I am always packing and my friends know it, as most of them do also.

Posts: 5305 | Location: basement | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Trying to convert a real anti gunner is like trying to convert someone to a different religious belief. A real waste of time.
Nobody but my wife normally knows I carry, even friends and family and that works fine. I suspect some of them do to but it’s never discussed.

Posts: 9524 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post