SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Interesting IRS letter/Bill
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Interesting IRS letter/Bill Login/Join 
Rumors of my death
are greatly exaggerated
Picture of coloradohunter44
posted Hide Post
Good stories folks. This just points out the ineptitude of our tax collecting branch of the government. Why bother sending out stupid crap like this.

"Someday I hope to be half the man my bird-dog thinks I am."

FBLM LGB!

Posts: 10909 | Location: Commirado | Registered: July 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would send them a check for the amount due, 0.00 dollars. They send out a notice like this, let them try to figure out how to process a payment of 0.00 dollars.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5647 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scoutmaster:
quote:
Originally posted by a1abdj:
quote:
Do not poke the IRS bear with a stick. Nothing good will happen.

It's funny how that works. I was involved in a lawsuit regarding a family business and we had forensic accountants with a CPA firm going over records. During that process we discovered that a family member had moved some assets around to defraud the government out of taxes. It totaled over $1,000,000.

We turned him in, complete with supporting documents, and they didn't do a thing.

If you owe them a few dollars, they'll spend $10,000 worth of time and effort coming after it.

I wonder what was the thinking of the IRS on the case you mention?

I once knew an IRS Agent.

He told me that, with respect to a business case, if he assessed less than $1,000 per hour of time he spent developing the case, he had to write an explanation of the shortfall which could be considered in his employee evaluation.

His supervisor would hand him a stack of returns, and he would pick a few that had the most potential, and the rest were sent back to be filed.

IRS employees make money. IRS budget requests show that the enforcement employees generate a couple of $ million in assessments each year.

This is why the Congress cuts the IRS budget in most years.

----------------------------------------------------
Dances with Crabgrass

Posts: 2183 | Location: East Virginia | Registered: October 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
also bear in mind that right now a lot of Treasury people are working at home with reduced workloads so if you decide you want to fuck with them, they may have enough free time on their hands to fuck you right back

it says don't respond, so don't respond

if they wanted a check for $0.00 they would have told you to send one in

Posts: 53183 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hay2bale:. . . I once knew an IRS Agent.

He told me that, with respect to a business case, if he assessed less than $1,000 per hour of time he spent developing the case, he had to write an explanation of the shortfall which could be considered in his employee evaluation.

His supervisor would hand him a stack of returns, and he would pick a few that had the most potential, and the rest were sent back to be filed.

IRS employees make money. IRS budget requests show that the enforcement employees generate a couple of $ million in assessments each year.

This is why the Congress cuts the IRS budget in most years.

Curious. Not IRS, rather the annual audit of costs incurred by a DoD contractor (I was CFO of the gov't division). The auditor (DCAA) told me (off the record), "I have to disallow $xx in my audit findings. This could be a big burden on both of us. Maybe you could point me to some maybe questionable charges, we could be done tomorrow." We signed off the next day.

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post