SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Elon Musk moving SpaceX and X headquarters from California to Texas over Gavin Newsom's new gender identity laws
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Elon Musk moving SpaceX and X headquarters from California to Texas over Gavin Newsom's new gender identity laws Login/Join 
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted
Elon Musk moving SpaceX and X headquarters from California to Texas over Gavin Newsom's new gender identity laws

By MELISSA KOENIG FOR DAILYMAIL.COM and AFP
PUBLISHED: 20:01 EDT, 16 July 2024 | UPDATED: 20:12 EDT, 16 July 2024

Elon Musk is moving both SpaceX and X headquarters out of California and into Texas over the liberal state's new gender identity laws.

The 52-year-old billionaire announced the major move on Tuesday, saying Gov. Gavin Newsom's signing of a law that bans California school districts from notifying parents if their child is transgender was 'the final straw.'

'Because of this law and the many others that preceded it, attacking both families and companies, SpaceX will now move its HQ from Hawthorne, California to Starbase, Texas,' he wrote on X.

'I did make it clear to Gov. Newsom about a year ago that laws of this nature would force families and companies to leave California to protect their children.'

Musk later added that the social media site will also be moving its headquarters from San Francisco to Austin, saying he has 'had enough of dodging gangs of violent drug addicts just to get in and out of the building.

He went on to suggest 'many will follow' and noted in a follow-up post that 'Doug Leone of Sequoia Capital publicly voiced his support for Trump six weeks ago.

'Silicon Valley has shifted,' Musk said.

The billionaire has already moved Tesla's headquarters from Palo Alto, California to Austin after Alameda County officials would not let him re-open the plant under coronavirus restrictions - despite Newsom announcing that manufacturers could restart operations.

He followed through on the promise about a year later, lauding Texas' lack of an income tax and the abundance of housing in the area - though he announced he would still maintain Tesla's 'engineering headquarters' in California.

Musk himself had even moved to the Lone Star state in 2020 after living in California for two decades and has already been in the process of moving SpaceX to Texas as he spoke out against California's liberal policies.

He has rallied against the use of preferred pronouns - often mocking the practice on social media and dismissing it as part of a 'woke' agenda that is dangerous for society.

Musk is the father of a trans daughter from whom he is estranged, and he blames her California private school education for making her politically far left and turning her against him.

California Gov. Gavin Newsom has been on the opposite side, however, often championing these woke ideals - even though he, too, has moved his family out of one of the state's largest cities and into an exclusive area.

On Monday, he enacted a law that blocks public school districts from requiring staff to notify parents when their children change the pronouns they use in class.

It reversed decisions in more conservative school districts that ordered teachers to notify parents if a student changed their name or pronouns, or requested to use facilities or participate in programs that didn't match their official gender.

Democratic state officials who pushed for the law, argued that students have a right to privacy, and that some LGBTQ+ students live in unwelcoming households and need protection from their own parents.

Trans activists also argued that such guidelines are vital, as some kids need protection from their old-fashioned parents who won't accept their desire to change sex.

But parents have since hit out at the policy, telling DailyMail.com the law would encourage more school districts to implement their own secret sex change policies and leave moms and dads unable to trust teachers.

They say they should instead be kept in the loop about their child's gender identity.

'This is a five alarm fire ethically and legally because it excludes parents from knowing vital information about their own child's school records,' said Erika Sanzi, from the campaign group Parents Defending Education.

'If a school facilitates the gender transition of a minor without notifying parents, they are engaged in a psychosocial intervention without parental consent.'

Some conservative California lawmakers have also blamed Newsom for the tech companies' departures.

'Gavin Newsom's anti-parent agenda isn't just bad for families - now it's doing serious damage to California's economy,' Assembly Republican Leader James Gallagher told the Sacramento Bee.

'With the highest unemployment rate in the nation, you'd think our governor would be doing everything possible to protect jobs.

'Instead, he's pandering to extremists in his party by cutting parents out of their kids' education and driving even more businesses to pack up for other states.'

DailyMail.com has reached out to Newsom's office for comment.

But in an apparent swipe at the billionaire on his own platform, the governor reposted former President Donald Trump's Truth Social post from 2022 bashing electric vehicles and Musk.

The former president claimed in the post that Musk visited him in the Oval Office asking for help 'on all of his many subsidized projects' and telling him he was a 'big Trump fan and Republican.

'I could have said "drop to your knees and beg," and he would have done it,' Trump wrote at the time.

Newsom, though, wrote that the tycoon - who has endorsed Trump for president - has since 'bent the knee.'

Q

Posts: 27447 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
Good. Not only move the company but also assist all the employees to relocate as well. Further deprive the state of money.

Posts: 53750 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
oddball previously linked the story.

https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...930057905#6930057905

Serious about crackers

Posts: 9410 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
^^^True, posted in that thread about Twitter and Elon. There's also the 'California sized' LGBTQ+ Insanity angle too, but this is a MUCH bigger/wider narrative that stands on it's own, deserving it's own discussion.

To add - I'd expect Elon to relocate Tesla's Engineering HQ out of California before too long as well. Wink

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 9411 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhtagmember:
Good. Not only move the company but also assist all the employees to relocate as well. Further deprive the state of money.

I'm not sure Texas needs more leftist Californians relocating to the Lone Star State.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17533 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fenris:
I'm not sure Texas needs more leftist Californians relocating to the Lone Star State.

Not all Californians are leftists.

Q

Posts: 27447 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
quote:

Yeah but there is a fuck ton of them moving here, the lefty kind. My friends in Austin are pissed. In the article it says the abundance of housing, that’s an absolute crock of shit. Austin area homes are already priced to the tune of what Cali housing costs. Austin was nothing more than a big college town, prior to the this mass influx of millions of people. It’s totally congested now, rivaling Los Angeles in traffic. I’m happy that Elon has done this but God help those in Austin. As all these people move in, many will be forced out.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12907 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
Not sure how many rocket scientists are leftist.

Posts: 5886 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Low Country, SC. | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
^By definition, none. Big Grin

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16823 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
Can we now say all my Xs live in Texas now?

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39860 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
Hey1

Newsboy. No that's not it. Newslum. Something like that. The head commie in Commiefornia.

I got a message for ya from Mr. Musk.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31962 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
while I applaud the move out of California, and taking those that want to live in Texas with him, I'm disappointed that he chose to move to Austin

there are so many better places he could have gone, set up and created a whole new environment but as much as I would have liked to work for SpaceX, there is no way I would ever move to Austin

Posts: 53750 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
quote:

Thanks for the endorsement Q Big Grin

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 17128 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
He's doing what hundreds of other companies have already done.

https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...050018905#1050018905

Posts: 8652 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
probably a good thing
I don't have a cut
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhtagmember:
I would have liked to work for SpaceX, there is no way I would ever move to Austin

He moved Tesla HQ to Austin. Where does it say he's moving Space X to? Wouldn't it be closer to their launch facility? Like maybe Corpus Christi?

Posts: 3458 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: February 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^
“The SpaceX headquarters will move from Hawthorne to Starbase, Texas, [near Brownsville] while the X HQ will move from San Francisco to Austin, Musk said.”

Serious about crackers

Posts: 9410 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
This new law is another reason you won't see Newsom replacing SloJoe. One more thing to beat him over the head with that the majority find abhorrent.

Truth: The New Hate Speech

Posts: 3600 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post