SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Any issues moving my guns to Florida and storing in my house down there while I'm only there a few weeks per year?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Any issues moving my guns to Florida and storing in my house down there while I'm only there a few weeks per year? Login/Join 
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
quote:
There are ways to skip most of NY and stay out of NYC, and completely bypass New Jermany!

FIFY Wink

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 9411 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Avoid NY and NJ, and don't drive through Turks & Caicos as a waypoint.

Goldenrods do good work here.

Here's a traveler's resource:

https://www.nrawomen.com/conte...-of-the-fifty-states

This message has been edited. Last edited by: RichardC,

Posts: 16152 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RichardC:
Avoid NY and NJ, and don't drive through Turks & Caicos as a waypoint.

Goldenrods do good work here.

Here's a travelor's resource:

https://www.nrawomen.com/conte...-of-the-fifty-states

My Tesla jet ski doesn’t have the range for Turks and Caicos anyhow.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12598 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Florida resident here. When you move your guns to Florida, don't forget to register them.

Just kidding, Florida don't play that.

Posts: 788 | Location: Crestview Florida | Registered: July 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by xd45man:
Florida resident here. When you move your guns to Florida, don't forget to register them.

Just kidding, Florida don't play that.

LOL

I'm now thinking that I will transport all of the guns in a locked rifle case I have and buy a safe down there. I'm not seeing good options for something that holds 10 or so pistols. I have a decent rifle case that should meet the transportation requirements. It will be easier to get in and out of hotels as we travel.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12598 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
That’ll work and makes sense since you mentioned buying long guns at some point. You can get a good gun safe in Florida that’ll fit the long guns as well.

Posts: 11544 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Myself with just 10 guns I'd ship them. There is no realistic way to avoid several really awful States on the way from MA to FL. The cost will be reasonable.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11149 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Is there any chance the guy who is going to check on your house could store a safe for you when you’re out of town? If he has a key to your house, he already has access to your locked safe.

Posts: 1150 | Registered: July 14, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
More persistent
than capable
posted Hide Post
Brownells has VCI emitters for rust control.

Lick the lollipop of mediocrity once and you suck forever.

Posts: 1100 | Location: North | Registered: August 27, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because something is legal to do doesn't mean it is the smart thing to do.
posted Hide Post
10 handguns secured in a suitcase that can be carried in\out of the motel would be easy enough.
Just be sure you drive properly so that you don't get pulled over and no LEOs will have reason to look in your car.

Integrity is doing the right thing, even when nobody is looking.

Posts: 4221 | Location: Metamora MI | Registered: October 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
18 U.S. Code § 926A - Interstate Transportation of Firearms

Notwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or regulation of a State or any political subdivision thereof, any person who is not otherwise prohibited by this chapter from transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm if, during such transportation the firearm is unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment of such transporting vehicle: Provided, That in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver’s compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console.

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 9411 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Follow that guideline but still avoid Nj and Ny and Turks & Caicos.

Posts: 16152 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Driving from Massachusetts to Florida, no problem avoiding NJ, but how do you avoid passing through NY?

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 31341 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIGfourme
posted Hide Post
Storage of firearms--coat with an anti rust protectant. I use Ezzox on all my guns. Throw a couple of moisture removers--Dry Rid, electronic desiccants that turn blue when wet--plug in to recharge, VCR paper.
Look at fishing tackle stores--salt water ruins more metal very quickly. They sell small desiccants for tackle boxes. Go to Corrosion X website.
https://www.corrosionx.com/collections/sporting-goods

Posts: 2366 | Location: Southeast CT | Registered: January 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Firearms Enthusiast
Picture of Mustang-PaPa
posted Hide Post
I have done and do long term storage using these silicon treated socks. I have them for both pistols and long guns. They protect from moisture as well as getting knocked around and beat up.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/939163989

Also mentioned spraying them down with a protectant. When working with the guns I also handle them wearing a new pair of brown Jersey cotton gloves sprayed down with protectant. I sweat alot so watch for salty/corrosive finger prints from handling.

My long guns get socked and then stuffed inside soft cases. I can really pack the guns in and never worry about a thing.

I have used multiple Goldenrods for over 45 years with no issues.

I of the more protection is the best. Triple up with any of the rechargeable options already mentioned.

The use of those rechargeable protectants just let me know if my Goldenrods are working. If they stay dry then things are good.

Posts: 18138 | Location: South West of Fort Worth, Tx. | Registered: December 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
As others have said. Find ways to fight humidity, flooding, and theft. Those will be the biggest issues I can see.

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8920 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I can't comment on the storage aspect, though I think its been well covered, with solid advice.

As to traveling:

- 5 to 10 mph over the speed limit maximum going through New York to say south of Quantico Virginia.

- minimize exposure in New York, giving NYC a WIDE berth.

- avoid New Jersey altogether

- drive through eastern Pennsylvania to Maryland

- minimize exposure in Maryland, before you know it, you'll be in Virginia.

- get back on 95 south in Virginia

- once you get passed Quantico you should be good to go the rest of the way.

- maintain the 5-10mph over the speed limit, staying in the appropriate lane(s), as in don't be that guy

- if for some reason you get stopped somewhere between Quantico Virginia, and your location in Florida, the trooper will see your Mass plates, assume you're a carpet bagger fleeing the peoples republic, and might even have a nice chat about your choice of firearms. Cool

"Kachi wa saya no naka ni ari" ("Victory comes while the sword is still in the scabbard")

Posts: 1041 | Location: North Texas | Registered: November 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
I would not go 10 over in Virginia unless that's the flow of traffic, they can be quite strict there. If you were traveling through VA when there's little traffic around, keep it at 5 over.

Use Waze!

NC, SC and GA are easy trips. Once you get into FL, it's like NASCAR. 95 isn't just the interstate, that's the suggested speed... Big Grin

Posts: 13280 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
I'll keep my speed consistent with other traffic in middle lanes, for the most part. I had no issues driving down last month. I did go through NYC but had no guns.

These go to eleven.

Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
Driving from Massachusetts to Florida, no problem avoiding NJ, but how do you avoid passing through NY?

Head north and go by way of McMurdo Sound. Its the only way to be sure.