SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Any issues moving my guns to Florida and storing in my house down there while I'm only there a few weeks per year?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Any issues moving my guns to Florida and storing in my house down there while I'm only there a few weeks per year? Login/Join 
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted
Massachusetts is getting even more commie by the minute. Apparently there are a few bills making the rounds that could outright ban any semi-autos.

I realize it won't stand up to SCOTUS but that will take time, if and when these bills become law.

I am thinking now is a good time to move my guns to my house in Florida. I'd drive down. I won't have any long guns as I can buy better in Florida than what I have here. I will probably have 1 or 2 overnights on the way since the drive was not fun doing it in 2 days. I guess I'm getting old. So I'll stop in gun friendly states and then get my guns to my Florida house and store in a pistol safe big enough for what I have (maybe 10 guns). I will secure the safe in a difficult to find location.

Anyhow I doubt there are any issues keeping my guns in Florida but figured I'd ask the experts.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12598 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just make sure you secure them with you overnight during your stops. Don't leave them locked in your vehicle at a hotel.

Posts: 2530 | Location: WI | Registered: December 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigwagon:
Just make sure you secure them with you overnight during your stops. Don't leave them locked in your vehicle at a hotel.

That is a definite. I don't ever leave guns in my car.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12598 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just a simple suggestion. How about moving to New Hampshire and commuting?

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5765 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scooter123:
Just a simple suggestion. How about moving to New Hampshire and commuting?

Moving to Florida full time in 2 years or less.

These go to eleven.

Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Get a good gun safe, alarm system, and security cameras for the Florida home. Thieves in Florida target homes of snowbirds.

Posts: 11544 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 71 TRUCK
posted Hide Post
As mentioned by by trapper189:
"Get a good gun safe, alarm system, and security cameras for the Florida home. Thieves in Florida target homes of snowbirds."

Also is there anyone in the area who you can trust with a key to the house to not only keep am eye on thing, maybe stop in once a week, but can also respond to the house if there is an alarm?

The Second Amendment to the United States Constitution.

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2632 | Location: Central Florida, south of the mouse | Registered: March 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
I have cameras. I have a friend checking the house 1x per week and flushing water etc every month. I will get a good safe. I will put the guns in the safe for transportation. Only 10 pistols so it won’t be too big.

These go to eleven.

posted Hide Post
As far as transporting them-I moved from San Francisco to Lexington, KY with a dozen guns. I put them in an enclosed ski storage roof rack. We'd get a motel room on the first floor, pull the car up, open the room window and slide the box in with the guns inside. It worked well at the time. The ski rack thing was a little expensive, but I got more than half the money back selling the gear when I arrived.

Posts: 17245 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Check with a local safe company to have one delivered and installed, Shooters World will of course sell gun safes, and there is a Liberty Safes of FL who service the area bolt it down to the concrete floor.

Alarm system that is monitored and interior and exterior cameras are always a good idea especially in a home that's not always occupied.

The only thing you'd have issue with is NY and NJ travelling by car through the state with guns, the governments there are the ones that pose the most trouble.

Posts: 24165 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dehumidifier probably needs to be running all the time in the safe. Maybe put a few Damp-rid bags in there also. Find out what locals do to keep firearms dry while you're gone.

Posts: 343 | Location: Nevada | Registered: May 12, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Only problem I see with leaving them there is you need to keep the residence climate controlled to avoid potential rust.
So leave AC on low enough to keep the moisture down. Have someone there to monitor it or have other means of monitoring the humidity.
A Golden rod is probably a really good idea.
I have a Florida residence but don't leave guns there so it's not an issue for me.

Posts: 2054 | Location: Indiana or Florida depending on season  | Registered: March 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by frayedends:
I will probably have 1 or 2 overnights on the way since the drive was not fun doing it in 2 days.

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by bigwagon:

That is a definite. I don't ever leave guns in my car.

quote:
I will put the guns in the safe for transportation.

... You're going to haul a gun safe into your hotel room every night along the way?

Posts: 32992 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Humidity

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 55141 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Don't turn off the AC in the house, get a remote monitoring thermostat like NEST so you can control it, keeping the ac moving air will keep humidity down.

A goldenrod is a good idea to keep the safe a bit dryer, you can't outrun the humidity here, even when it's low, it's higher than most places.

Posts: 24165 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
... You're going to haul a gun safe into your hotel room every night along the way?

He only has 10 guns, and they're all handguns. Doable.

Q

Posts: 27447 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Goldenrods work in Florida even in unconditioned spaces. Air conditioning works too.

Any safe you can take in and out of your hotel room is not good enough for storing your guns in an unoccupied house. They’ll just walk off with it.

Posts: 11544 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 71 TRUCK:
As mentioned by by trapper189:
"Get a good gun safe, alarm system, and security cameras for the Florida home. Thieves in Florida target homes of snowbirds."

Also is there anyone in the area who you can trust with a key to the house to not only keep am eye on thing, maybe stop in once a week, but can also respond to the house if there is an alarm?

Pretty much this, and what Bendable said:

Humidity.
Good safe with a goldenrod.
Unless there's a Floridian that has a better suggestion.

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8506 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
There are more knowledgeable people than I on the topic, but.....

You gotta go through NY state at some point. Isn't that a problem?

There is the federal "safe passage" law, but if he stops for lunch in NY, breaks down there or stops for any reason, doesn't that complicate things, legally??

Are there any similar issues with NJ, if he chose to go through NJ??

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 11079 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
House has central air. It’s Wi-Fi and I adjust from Massachusetts. Safe will be bolted once I get it there.

There are ways to skip most of NY and stay out of NYC.

These go to eleven.