SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    How to establish a price when responding to WTB ads?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How to establish a price when responding to WTB ads? Login/Join 
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted
Perhaps the answer to this question is supposed to be obvious, but it isn’t to me and I’m interested in the opinions of the group.

If someone posts a “I want to buy” something like a particular gun or even something less expensive, who has the obligation to specify a price (at least initially before any haggling)?
If it were a “for sale” ad, the seller obviously needs to say how much he wants, but otherwise?

I’m not referring to posting a “I am willing to pay …” price in the ad initially. If, though, someone posts “WTB P7 pistol” and I send the requester photos and information about what’s included, should I tell the prospective buyer what price I want, or can I ask, “How much are you willing to pay?” Or does it matter; either is fine?

Question:
Which do you believe is more proper in the first response contact by a prospective seller? (Or more likely to result in a sale?)

Choices:
“Tell me what you’re willing to pay.”
“This amount is what I want for it.”
Either one.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hoping for better pharmaceuticals
Picture of AZSigs
posted Hide Post
First one to name a price is not getting his/her price.

Getting shot is no achievement. Hitting your enemy is. NRA Endowment Member . NRA instructor

Posts: 8753 | Location: Peoria, Arizona | Registered: April 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
In general, regardless of whether it's a WTS or WTB situation, I think the seller of the item should be the one to state their desired price at the outset.

Posts: 32512 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
I think good etiquette would be to specify a range you'd pay, depending on condition, or other things that would effect the value.

Posts: 9516 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I think good etiquette would be to specify a range you'd pay, depending on condition, or other things that would effect the value.

I think this would be the best. I usually do not respond to WTB ads as many have just been a waste of time.

If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit!

Sigs Owned - A Bunch

Posts: 4266 | Location: Nashville, Tennessee | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
If you describe your item and don't tell him how much you want, all you're getting back is an email that says "how much do you want for it?"

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10487 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In general I also find responding to most WTB ads to be a waste of time. More often than not the person looking is fishing for an unrealistic deal or has unreasonable expectations of what they should pay for the item they are seeking. But I agree that the best way to respond is to describe what you have to offer along with an asking price.

Posts: 2485 | Location: WI | Registered: December 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
If, though, someone posts “WTB P7 pistol” and I send the requester photos and information about what’s included, should I tell the prospective buyer what price I want, or can I ask, “How much are you willing to pay?” Or does it matter; either is fine?

Why play game? You have something to sell? Then you must have a selling price in mind. Tell them, "This is how much I'm selling it for". They will either agree, or they will make a counter offer. Then you can either say yes or no and be done with it.

This is no different than you putting up a WTS ad. You wouldn't want to put up a WTS ad, and in it, say, "Make me an offer" without actually posting the asking price, right?

Q

Posts: 26393 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AZSigs:

Not necessarily.

If the seller has a good understanding of the value of their used item and the buyer has a good understanding of the market. It is quite possible for a seller to get original asking price or buyer to get original offer price.

This has happened to me on both ends of a deal.

Now if a seller is hoping to find someone willing to pay over market or a buyer is hoping to find someone willing to take under market, then negotiations happen and either someone walks away or a compromise is made.

Refusing to make an offer or an ask is just stubbornness or a sign of control issues as far as I am concerned. That said, I think the seller is the one who should toss the first number out.

A would be buyer tossing out a range is just helpful for potential sellers to decide if they want to bother with a reply.

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10940 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
186,000 miles per second.
It's the law.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AZSigs:

I don't agree with this. If someone posts WTB and I respond with "I have it and this is what I want for it", the buyer can take it or leave it. If they don't pay what I want, so be it. I keep it, and they have to keep looking. I was not trying to sell it in the first place. WTB ads are useful for hard to find items. Just be prepared to pay full value and not insult/lowball someone trying to help you out.

Posts: 3251 | Registered: August 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Pickle Rick!
Picture of Pickle Rick
posted Hide Post
Unless you are running an auction? I would say, post your asking price. JMO.

Posts: 2877 | Location: Lancaster, PA. | Registered: February 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the responses, and my mind is clearer now that there’s been some discussion of the question.

I will, however, contend that “What will you give me for it?” is hardly an unknown response when someone wants to buy something. If a stranger heard that I might have more horses than I need and said, “Will you sell me a horse?” “For how much?” would be my first question in reply.
“$1000”: Ah, no. <Click.>
“I really need transportation out of this town, and I don’t care how much I have to pay; will you take $10,000?” “Sure, come on over.”

A transaction through an Internet forum is of course different in some ways, but it could nevertheless be argued that the person initiating the deal with the ad should still have the onus of deciding what he’s prepared to spend if asked by the potential seller. I understand the responses I’ve gotten here, and part of that is what accepted social convention is, and which I wanted to explore, but I still don’t believe my question was that clueless. Thanks again.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
I offer that, based on game theory, the seller should indicate he has the desired object but the buyer should make the first offer. Unless the seller does not care at all for maximizing profit and is happy just getting what he thinks is reasonable. Which may or may not be market price.

The underlying premise in a wtb ad is that the object in question is challenging to find and buyer is willing to pay a premium in your eyes.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12721 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
I’ve seen WTB when the item/gun, whatever is readily available on the web or supplier.

If it goes for $100 new, $80 used, I don’t feel any need to sell mine for $60 shipped.

There is such a thing as a ‘family(friends)’ discount. As with anything, it will never be the exact price everywhere.

Posts: 6167 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
quote:
If someone posts a “I want to buy” something like a particular gun or even something less expensive, who has the obligation to specify a price

The obligation to speak first regarding numbers is on the one who proposes a transaction, IMO.

Whether one holds them to that, depends on one's negotiating skills. A good negotiator will try to find out as much as they can before speaking that first number. And a good negotiator on the other side will block, parry and delay providing that information...which conveys only that the first party is engaged with someone who knows what they're doing...which is itself information.

That's part of what I like about negotiating. Smile

Posts: 15031 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
If I placed a WTB ad for something general (like another P220), the condition of the item offered would likely dictate the negotiated price.

If I placed a WTB ad for something specific (like another P220 made in 1984 and chambered in 9mm Steyr), I would be more likely to state what I would be willing to pay.

Posts: 9155 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not as lean, not as mean,
Still a Marine
Picture of Gibb
posted Hide Post
WTB "I'm looking for a gently used model X"

Seller "I have a model X I'd be willing to sell for $$$"

WTB "$$$ is a little more than I was hoping to spend, but interested in photos"

Seller "photos sent, as you can see is almost new"

WTB "looks really nice, would you consider $$?"

Seller "that's just too low to let it go, maybe $$.$?"

WTB "I can do that, how would you like to proceed?"

I shall respect you until you open your mouth, from that point on, you must earn it yourself.

Posts: 3352 | Location: Southern Maine | Registered: February 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of UTsig
posted Hide Post
I've sold a lot of custom knives responding to WTB ads. I always set a price, I do some research, figure out what's fair, add PP and shipping. 90% of the time it works out. The temptation is to try to take advantage of a situation but that's not how I do it.

"Nature scares me" a quote by my friend Bob after a rough day at sea.

Posts: 3398 | Location: Utah's Dixie | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
WTB vs WTS posting a price are two different things.
WTB the (actual) goods are unknown.
WTS the commodity is known and something to reference to.
Really, after the initial query of WTB the WTS is all that matters and the price gets stablished.

Posts: 22910 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Other than an auction I cannot think of a single example where the buyer would set the initial price.

WTB: New roof for $5000. Nope
WTB: 2021 Ford F150 $32000. Nope
WTB: Lawn cutting service $15. Nope
WTB: Levi jean 38x32 $22. Nope
WTB: House painter $500. Nope

Posts: 5418 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post