SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    How to establish a price when responding to WTB ads?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How to establish a price when responding to WTB ads? Login/Join 
Hoping for better pharmaceuticals
Picture of AZSigs
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FishOn:
quote:
Originally posted by AZSigs:
First one to name a price is not getting his/her price.

I don't agree with this. If someone posts WTB and I respond with "I have it and this is what I want for it", the buyer can take it or leave it. If they don't pay what I want, so be it. I keep it, and they have to keep looking. I was not trying to sell it in the first place. WTB ads are useful for hard to find items. Just be prepared to pay full value and not insult/lowball someone trying to help you out.

For those who disagree with this comment is that you haven't been taught the art of Socratic selling. The science and art for a transaction is not just dollars and sense. Many want to rush and put a number on a deal and be done in 30 seconds. History and stats show you won't make the best deal, but you think you will. A deal is good if the buyer is happy and doesn't feel he was cheated and the seller is happy he get some money. A person versed in Socratic selling environment can do that but at the same time get a better deal on either end of the transaction. You have to be skilled at it.

Getting shot is no achievement. Hitting your enemy is. NRA Endowment Member . NRA instructor

Posts: 8753 | Location: Peoria, Arizona | Registered: April 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by FishOn:
quote:
First one to name a price is not getting his/her price.

I don't agree with this. If someone posts WTB and I respond with "I have it and this is what I want for it", the buyer can take it or leave it. If they don't pay what I want, so be it. I keep it, and they have to keep looking. I was not trying to sell it in the first place. WTB ads are useful for hard to find items. Just be prepared to pay full value and not insult/lowball someone trying to help you out.

For those who disagree with this comment is that you haven't been taught the art of Socratic selling. The science and art for a transaction is not just dollars and sense. Many want to rush and put a number on a deal and be done in 30 seconds. History and stats show you won't make the best deal, but you think you will. A deal is good if the buyer is happy and doesn't feel he was cheated and the seller is happy he get some money. A person versed in Socratic selling environment can do that but at the same time get a better deal on either end of the transaction. You have to be skilled at it.

I can see it both ways. The market will ultimately determine the final price.

If I list a case of 9mm in the classifieds for $500 there is no amount of Socratic selling/buying that will get that price lower. Someone will gladly pay the price.

Same with houses right now. You may get more than asking price with the current market.

Someone selling their Beanie Baby collection will probably most likely get under list price.

Posts: 5418 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What I find completely frustrating on these WTB gun ads is the lack of clarity and specificity by the poster.
Example "WTB Sig P220". OK the going price for that can vary "a lot" depending on what it is. The first page of gunbroker had a low of $400 and a high of $4800 for search of Sig P220.
I personally now always ask the WTB for some idea of the kind of gun and the price range they have in mind before I dig out the gun, take photos, send the photos, spend time answering questions etc. only to find out the person was looking for a 'beater' version for $500 or the other way around and they wanted an unshot example. Its beyond silly and a huge waste of time for both parties. It boggles my mind what you get for answers when you ask.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11002 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Snackologist
Picture of BigJoe
posted Hide Post
Like someone else said, if YOU are looking to buy something. You need to give a range depending on condition etc. Then the seller can decide if it is worth his time to approach the buyer.

...You, higher mammal. Can you read?
....There's nothing sexier than a well worn, functional Sig!

Posts: 14010 | Location: WV | Registered: January 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"The deals you miss don’t hurt you”-B.D. Raney Sr.
posted Hide Post
Owner of the item sets the price (or starting price).
Otherwise, someone else is telling the owner what his item is worth.

Posts: 6306 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Smarter than the
average bear
posted Hide Post
If someone posts a WTB ad and it is something that is commonly available, then my suggestion is to ignore it. Why bother with a WTB when you can already find it for sale? The only answer I see is WTB (for below market value).

Now if you want something that is hard to find, then you might post a WTB ad, hoping it sparks interest in potential sellers. The seller in that case has not actively pursued selling (or he'd already have a WTS ad). In that case I think it's more appropriate to ask "what are you looking to spend?", as that will determine if I'm interested in selling.

If you post a WTS ad, you are actively trying to sell something, and you should know how much you want to ask. Not so in responding to a WTB.

Posts: 3437 | Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana | Registered: June 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of MG34_Dan
posted Hide Post
I always want to know the WTB person's target price. That way I can immediately eliminate the bottom feeders.

“Elections have consequences, and at the end of the day, I won.”
– Barack Hussein Obama, January 23, 2009

Posts: 2191 | Location: Austin Texas USA | Registered: February 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post