SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Missing owning a Toyota 4Runner...
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Missing owning a Toyota 4Runner... Login/Join 
The wicked flee when
no man pursueth
Picture of KevH
posted
I miss owning a Toyota 4Runner.

In high school I had a 1982 Toyota 4x4 truck (Hilux) with a 22R and a lift kit. Totally impractical vehicle, but it was completely amazing. I think I sold it for $3k.

I then bought a 1991 with a 22RE and 5 speed manual that I absolutely loved and sold like a complete idiot in 2003.

Partially realizing the error of my ways, in 2013 I bought a 1998 with a 3.4L and an automatic (always wished it was a 5 speed manual). My wife pressured me into selling it to my brother-in-law who proceeded to play bumper cars with it and trash it (he still has it, but I wouldn't want it back).

I started browsing classifieds in the last few weeks looking for manual transmission (2000 and earlier) 4Runners. I'd love another 4 banger 4x4 with a 5 speed. Everyone I've seen is either completely trashed or they want $15k for it. This market sucks.

Proverbs 28:1

Posts: 4203 | Location: Contra Costa County, CA | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Down the Rabbit Hole
Picture of Jupiter
posted Hide Post
One of the last true SUVs on the market.
I love my 2020 4Runner Venture.

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
-- George Orwell

Posts: 4836 | Location: North Mississippi | Registered: August 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
Can't have mine!

1993 4-Runner - 1 by kpkina, on Flickr

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16385 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yep... Love them.

1996 SR5 with 4x4, 5sp. 260k on the clock. Runs like a champ. Bilstein shocks, replaced coils for a slight lift and to compensate for the ARB winch bumper.

Have thought about selling as it needs a new clutch and the timing belt replaced. I'll prob cave and get the work done as this vehicle is my snow/ice truck.

Good luck finding one.

Andrew

Duty is the sublimest word in the English Language - Gen Robert E Lee.

Posts: 863 | Registered: May 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RR
posted Hide Post
KevH

Wow, you weren’t kidding. I looked around and saw a 1992 4cyl 5 speed in Springfield Oregon for $10,999!

Posts: 449 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: October 09, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
I just had the second timing belt service done on my V8, 2007 4Runner. It’s got 203,000 miles on it. Awesome vehicles. I had a 1985 4Runner years ago when I got married. Solid axle up front, 5 spd, ARB air lockers…. The whole bit. I miss that one as well

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 7004 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of MG34_Dan
posted Hide Post
In 2000 I was involved in a head-on collision that demolished by '97 Camry. After I received the insurance settlement, I bought a new 2000 4Runner. When I picked it up I had a complete set of additional off-road bumpers installed. I figured the next time somebody wants to hit me head-on, I would just roll over them.

After 21 years and 152,000 miles I still have my baby. She's the best auto I have ever owned. I cannot see any situation where I would sell her.

(yea, that's bird poop on the hood)

I took the above pictures last December right after a 33 hour non-stop drive of 1605 miles from Austin to Pennsylvania.

“Elections have consequences, and at the end of the day, I won.”
– Barack Hussein Obama, January 23, 2009

Posts: 2193 | Location: Austin Texas USA | Registered: February 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm new to the 4Runner scene but love our 2019. It's great for hauling kayaks and/or tons of "stuff".

Posts: 774 | Location: SW Michigan | Registered: January 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
I just bought a 2021 (Venture Edition) in April. I replaced my F150.

I LOVE MY 4RUNNER!!!!!!!!!!!!

It took a bit to get used to the decrease in power (my F150 had 430 HP), but I am a MUCH better driver in the 4Runner (I had kind of a lead foot in the F150). It is an amazing vehicle.

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21853 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
Start saving up. They aren't going to come down. It's the same with many other '90s boxy SUVs (see Jeep Cherokees or Isuzu Troopers) that people love. A ragged out, chopped up example with 400k miles is gonna go for 3k. Decent ones start in the 10k range, and go up, up, up from there (see Davis Autosport, their Cherokees start in the 30s and go to the 100s, and they sell them all day.)

Mine is kind of ragged out, but I could still sell it for more than I paid for it 19 years ago.

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3519 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Road Dog
Picture of BennerP220
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I thought of buying my buddies 5 speed V6 Tacoma a while back.

I have a 2003 V8 that I bought eight years ago for $5K. I have since put two windshield in, front axles, shocks, struts, brakes and tires. I'm at 291k.

I also had the manifold replaced due to leaking but it is leaking again. That's all that is wrong with it.

Posts: 3447 | Location: Southwest Indiana | Registered: December 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
They are great vehicles.
I'm on my third, it's a 2008 V6 with 4WD.
I just put on new Bilstein shocks.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24171 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
I think 4Runners are one of the best SUVs ever built. A bit gas thirsty but not as much as the monster sized SUVs. I wish I still had it as a third vehicle.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
i looked for years. Never found one that met my criteria.

I bought a used Lexus and an older Honda Ridgeline. Both are great vehicles and fall into the "great vehicles with awesome lineage for service and longevity." So there are others out there that can fall into the same category.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19229 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
My eldest son's 2003 V8 with 190k on the clock. Says he plans to keep it until at least 400k. Big Grin

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16253 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Down the Rabbit Hole
Picture of Jupiter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:
i looked for years. Never found one that met my criteria.

I bought a used Lexus and an older Honda Ridgeline. Both are great vehicles and fall into the "great vehicles with awesome lineage for service and longevity." So there are others out there that can fall into the same category.

Everyone knows both of those vehicles are crap. Big Grin

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
-- George Orwell

Posts: 4836 | Location: North Mississippi | Registered: August 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fidelis Marines
posted Hide Post
quote:
2020 4Runner Venture

I currently have a Lexus GS 350 F sport (2015 w/60k on ODO) and a 1990 Bronco fullsize that has about 2k on the new rebuilt 351 W, come time to trade the Lexus it will be a 4runner..great looking rides and useful. I would like to see one in diesel though.

thanks, shawn
Semper Fi,
---->>> EXCUSE TYPOS<<<---

Posts: 3325 | Location: TEXAS! | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It doesn’t matter what vehicle you want to buy it’s probably the worst time in most of our lifetimes to buy a one.

Posts: 3930 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I know it isn’t the same but, I love my ‘07 FJ Cruiser. I do want a 4-runner in the worst way though. I have been offered many times to sell the FJ. The prices they are going for is crazy however, there is nothing I can replace it with.

Posts: 4066 | Registered: January 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The wicked flee when
no man pursueth
Picture of KevH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1s1k:
It doesn’t matter what vehicle you want to buy it’s probably the worst time in most of our lifetimes to buy a one.

Very true. I'm going to wait a bit.

Proverbs 28:1

Posts: 4203 | Location: Contra Costa County, CA | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post