SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Can the catalytic converter be rethunk
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Can the catalytic converter be rethunk Login/Join 
7.62mm Crusader
posted
I really would like to know. This past year has been a winner for the sawzall thieves. Its hard to take when good folks and businesses pay such a price. One couple with a stored RV bought a OEM replacement converter for $3,300.00. Their engine is a V10. Now the bastards have again been hitting the Uhaul trucks. Three last Thursday or Friday night. I'm thinking it would be so right if converters could be redesigned to work with non valuable materials. The F'n scrap yards are basically legal criminals. They got no interest in working with Law Enforcement. Saw some wise guy on Facebook last year post a pic of a whole trailer full of converters and it was visible where they were sawzalled off. He titled his post Cats. I am sure he came by those legally..uh huh. Anyhow, I get to baby sit the trucks now, grouped up close by so I might hear a power tool. I wish they could arrest them all involved and deal out some quality jail time.

Posts: 17922 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Used to hang horse thieves and cattle rustlers...

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43921 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
Heads on pikes.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15626 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posting without pants
Picture of KevinCW
posted Hide Post
The above two are my vote.... It's sad that we are seeing the epidemic of this, especially in urban areas where there are both more targets, and usually, a public desire to "coddle the criminals" by the local prosecution and "activists."

Start throwing people in jail for their crimes, and stop decriminalizing drugs. Many of these crimes are committed by addicts. The common theme lately is to coddle the addict as opposed to incarcerate them. I get treating the addiction to try to end it, but it's being undertaken the wrong way. If they don't face consequences, they don't ever hit the "rock bottom" most need to actually make a change.

Strive to live your life so when you wake up in the morning and your feet hit the floor, the devil says "Oh crap, he's up."

Posts: 33287 | Location: St. Louis MO | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
At least let the LEOs bang their darn heads putting them in their cruisers. I think it would be a snap to alarm the exhaust and use a back up battery. But who even answers car alarms when they are set off. The industry of cat thieving needs to be fixed. All sorts of preventive measures on line for sale. The Uhauls have a rebar steel basket welded over the converter and the thieves saw right through it. Theres got to be a way to fix this. Something has to change.

Posts: 17922 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Low Profile Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
I wish they could arrest them all involved and deal out some quality jail time

that doesn't happen anymore

Posts: 3529 | Registered: August 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KevinCW:
The above two are my vote.... It's sad that we are seeing the epidemic of this, especially in urban areas where there are both more targets, and usually, a public desire to "coddle the criminals" by the local prosecution and "activists."

Start throwing people in jail for their crimes, and stop decriminalizing drugs. Many of these crimes are committed by addicts. The common theme lately is to coddle the addict as opposed to incarcerate them. I get treating the addiction to try to end it, but it's being undertaken the wrong way. If they don't face consequences, they don't ever hit the "rock bottom" most need to actually make a change.
What ever the reasons Kevin, someone is benefitting from all the rare metals. It goes right up the line. I helped a friend take 25 40 pound boxes of wheel weights in to scrap yard a couple Summers back. I told him lead was worth something. The boxes were in a gaylord pallet he and his wife bought from Walmart returns. Walmart basically wanted someone to deal with their scrap lead. Our surprise after dumping the dirty weights into a bin to be scaled, the scrap yard worked sawed a few in two and they were steel. If they can change a wheel weight material, they should be able to make converters work from a lesser material. Just my thinking.

Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
Catalytic converters contain Platinum, which is the material that works to eliminate the hydrocarbons in the exhaust. The materials that have that ability are very few, and most are even more expensive than Platinum.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
the converter is designed to facilitate a specific chemical reaction

it just so happens the catalyst is platinum

I suspect it wouldn't be nearly as much of an issue as if the catalyst were aluminum or iron

This message has been edited. Last edited by: nhtagmember,

Posts: 53234 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Can the catalytic converter be rethunk

It has been. In the way back of the 1980’s, I had an Astronomy course at a Detroit area community college and the adjunct professor was a former engineer with a very prominent auto manufacturer, *cough* *cough* “Generous Motors” *hack* *cough* *flem*.

Said engineer was an MIT PhD engineering graduate. He spent many years developing technology in GM’s R&D along with others who were recruited as the best and brightest from top universities. These guys and girls were given anything and everything in the way of laboratories, facilities and resources to chase their scientific ideas and dreams. Anyways, one of the technologies he developed was a very simple and affordable replacement to the current platinum catalytic converter. He was very excited about his discoveries.

GM shelved the technology because it would not make them money in the present environment. He said there are thousands of such technologies developed, patented and ready to be deployed that are not financially advantageous to the corporate entities that they were developed within. GM waits until these technologies can be sold outright or implemented to gain maximum market or financial advantage. Stay tuned.

The engineer eventually quit GM to pursue “other opportunities”.

Posts: 4756 | Registered: July 06, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DougE
posted Hide Post
quote:
The F'n scrap yards are basically legal criminals.

The one in my area will not take catalytic converters unless you can prove it came off your vehicle.

The water in Washington won't clear up until we get the pigs out of the creek~Senator John Kennedy

Posts: 987 | Location: Richmond, KY | Registered: February 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
You would think states would start tightly regulating the purchase and trade of scrap cats. If they don't get the car intact with the cats, they just can't buy them. If they can, the seller has to show ID and title to the car it came off of. Do cats have VINs stamped on them? If not, they should.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BBMW:
You would think states would start tightly regulating the purchase and trade of scrap cats. If they don't get the car intact with the cats, they just can't buy them. If they can, the seller has to show ID and title to the car it came off of. Do cats have VINs stamped on them? If not, they should.

The problem is that the contents of the cats are pellets of platinum. A VIN could be stamped on the shell that contains the pellets, but a VIN on each and every pellet would probably be cost prohibitive.

Posts: 4756 | Registered: July 06, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
Couple more years and cars won't need cats. And the thieves will be stealing the batteries from cars. As Sigmonkey said, the problem is the thieves. Until we deal with that, we're just prolonging the issues.

Posts: 11396 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tanner:
quote:
Can the catalytic converter be rethunk

It has been. In the way back of the 1980’s, I had an Astronomy course at a Detroit area community college and the adjunct professor was a former engineer with a very prominent auto manufacturer, *cough* *cough* “Generous Motors” *hack* *cough* *flem*.

Said engineer was an MIT PhD engineering graduate. He spent many years developing technology in GM’s R&D along with others who were recruited as the best and brightest from top universities. These guys and girls were given anything and everything in the way of laboratories, facilities and resources to chase their scientific ideas and dreams. Anyways, one of the technologies he developed was a very simple and affordable replacement to the current platinum catalytic converter. He was very excited about his discoveries.

GM shelved the technology because it would not make them money in the present environment. He said there are thousands of such technologies developed, patented and ready to be deployed that are not financially advantageous to the corporate entities that they were developed within. GM waits until these technologies can be sold outright or implemented to gain maximum market or financial advantage. Stay tuned.

The engineer eventually quit GM to pursue “other opportunities”.
That was quite interesting. Thank you.

7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BBMW:
On the tube there are vids teaching people how to extract and smelt the metals. Rhodium seems to be of value somewhere above 6 grand per ounce to 17 grand.

Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
I did a little research years ago when putting a high flow cat on my Grand Cherokee. A cheap $100 ceramic honeycomb construction cat is nearly as effective as these ridiculously expensive platinum based style. They might not last as long, but there is no reason they could not be used. The introduction of oxygen is the perfect catalyst to a hot converter. To me, the slight increase in scrubbing effect of platinum just isn’t worth the added cost.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15626 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
Organic chemistry pretty much uses Pt, Rh, etc as catalysts. Just how physics works.

The real issue is crooked junk dealers.

Once the city got after the local scrap yards for taking in stolen material, the theft rate in the industrial park collapsed.

Posts: 5748 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Miami Beach, FL | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
I'm surprised the liberals haven't proposed outlawing or regulating the possession of the Sawzall or limiting how many replacement blades you can carry.
Just think how many cats lives could be saved. Roll Eyes

Posts: 9546 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
Fence in the U-Haul yard and get a couple of Dobermans.

Posts: 9058 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post