SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    How long have you stuck it out at a job you hate?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How long have you stuck it out at a job you hate? Login/Join 
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Any way to switch to a different department or job within the organization that might be less of a drag to ride out the next three years?

Posts: 9520 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My last two months at Sears had me pretty inside out.
I was wishing horrible life ending things on four employees..

They bullied me until I quit.

Today if I was present during their entering the giant wood chipper of doom,
I'd give a standing ovation and flip off their next of kin.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: bendable,

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54651 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bendable, I simply love your posts-I never know what to expect and you never disappoint.

To the OP's point, I never had a job I hated-OK- 3 years, 9 months and 14 days in the Army and I truly hated every second of it-but that ain't what you are talking about since I couldn't quit or retire without serious penalties.

I didn't like my job as a police officer, but hate is too strong a word. I was bored to tears, kept going to school in my off duty time to find a way out and Law school was the answer.

I truly don't think I could make it nearly 4 years in your situation with a job I absolutely hated where there was at least some options like just walking out.

You are a lot tougher than me.

Bob

Posts: 1575 | Location: TampaBay | Registered: May 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do the next
right thing
Picture of bobtheelf
posted Hide Post
I've never been in a position where I've seen a light at the end of the tunnel, so I haven't stayed in a job that sucked for more than about 6 months once I decided it needed to change.

Posts: 3663 | Location: Nashville | Registered: July 23, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My last job was for.... Three whole shifts. It became clear that they lied about placing me in a "temporary" position until I could get the slot I applied for. And when working, none of my fellow employees could tell me who was the on-duty supervisor. I might have slogged through, but I saw a posting on the bulletin board with a picture of a tow truck on it. It read:
"Employees who park in unauthorized areas of the lot will have their vehicle towed at their expense".
The lot was huge and my orientation failed to point out the "authorized" parking area.
Do I want to work for an organization that would hijack my ride over a parking spot?
Nope.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16098 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
The time I registered on SigForum was the start of a job that almost killed me and I hated it. I looked at my register date; it's 3 or 4 years after I started that job.

The previous company shut down and I was part of the shutdown team. The new company scooped me up and it's a big pharma/medical device company. I thought I could just continue my career.

At the start of a new job, I always pour my energy and time into it to iron out any problems and make it smooth sailing. But I year into it, I realized it was going to be the modus operandi of having to work there - 16 hour days one week every month, rest of the month is 14 hour days, plus work from home every other weekend.

It was so bad the other position with me was a revolving door for the longest time. The shortest was one week. One stayed a month; he told me he was a brain cancer survivor in his college days and that taught him life is so short to be in a toxic environment as we were. His words. He felt so bad for me, he tapped his network to get me job interviews at one of his old company. I tried looking after that first year; nothing. It didn't help that my house was financially under water and my 401k was cut in half and the economy sucked. I was like a zombie and I thought I would have to work until the day I die.

Then after 8 years, I got an offer from a start-up. Closer to work, same industry, same thing I've been doing. But after six months, I realized the boss had mood changes that you could track from morning to evening. I truly believe he was having dementia. It was even so bad that after 6 months, I did what I tell people not to do - quit a job without having another one lined up.

Afterwards, I learned that last boss left a trail of ruined careers and people. It was a good thing I had him near the end of mine.

I went to figure out how long I can last without a job and that's when I figured I can just not work anymore which is what I did.

That's my story.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19670 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Four years of misery can seem like fourteen years.

Not an easy decision though with the details you presented.

Under your circumstances if you decide to ride it out I would think of it in terms of three stages. Get to three years left. Then 18 months. Then the end.
I would also take advantage of every sick day, comp day, vacation day, holiday, etc.
Could they jerk you around and cut you loose?

Caring for those you supervise says alot about you. Don't forget to care for yourself.

Best of luck

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19190 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was in the same boat you are. Over the past 5 years I was dreading going into work everyday. The only thing that kept me going were fellow employees. We had a great time together with lots of laughs. The management there were driving the company downhill and had the IDGAF attitude, which trickled down to production workers. Once they don't care at the top, no one cares at the bottom. So I started looking for another job. Not actively, but if an opportunity came along, I'd look into it.

Now, I still have 20 years until retirement so that part is different, but... I was offered a job elsewhere, for more money, and more responsibility, that I looked into, interviewed for, got hired, and am enjoying going to work again. Almost 25 years at the old place to start over again but I am not regretting my decision.

Posts: 3664 | Location: PA | Registered: November 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The future is not certain. Three years you are going to hate, and then the ability to have actual freedom of choice is yours.

OR

Ten years you are locked into whether you hate it or not.

Seven extra years of guaranteed freedom is a big draw, in our short existence on this planet.

Posts: 12688 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of m1009
posted Hide Post
Used to love my job. Would even start early just to try and get caught up. Bosses used to be decent, they cared and helped you if possible.
After 13 yrs, they decided to eliminate that role, and I applied for my current one, or else I’d be severanced out. Grateful I was accepted in this role, but it’s gotten worse as time goes on.

Now I’m making a decent wage, more than the old job, thankfully but the structure has changed to where one can’t keep track of who to report to anymore. Instead of keeping people who knew the system, and were good at it, they hire people who don’t know squat. And that’s who we report to.

I’m trying to hang in there, so close to retirement myself. I keep telling myself, one more year. If it gets better, I will stay a bit longer, but if it gets too ridiculous, I will retire and say to hell with them and how they run the business.
At least after one more year I can get on Medicare for insurance. So we will see. I just shake my head at the stupidity I see around me, and do as I’m instructed.

Posts: 1126 | Registered: September 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Way to long!! My only pleasure was when I was hashing it out with
the HR lady, instead of saying I quit I told her to f**k off!
Got a certified letter the next week. 16 months retired, I love it!!

Posts: 957 | Location: Mason, Ohio | Registered: September 16, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Three years ten months, I would stick it out.

I am two years eight moths out myself.

I get out to Modesto a few times a year to visit family. I will give you a shout during our next trip.

Posts: 1069 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 20, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've had the same job for 45 years. I've always enjoyed what I do but we have had dire management over the years and I've always hated that. Climbers, pricks, stuffed shirts and assholes that can't perform any useful function except blame the troops and not poor management. They want to stand on the bodies to make themselves look taller.

About 2 years ago the company started a program to change it's view on the employees. A management shake up has replaced the dipshits. For the first time in 45 years they now have management I like and respect. A joy to work with these guys. It was deciding factor for me to go into management. I'm too broke down to do my old job anymore anyhow. I guess you could say it took me 45 years to find any peace and happiness here. I'm staying til I'm 70 if management doesn't change. If it does, they will be losing 3 skilled trades supervisors. My plan if this happens is to get fired so I can get severance. It my take some work to get fired but I think I can pull it off.....

Posts: 389 | Registered: February 05, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
One year. Took that long to find another job. The second job lasted a year and I decided to open my own business. Best decision I ever made.

Posts: 17238 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
I was in the process of finding a new department when I had my second stroke in May 2017.
In FEB 2017 I filed a formal complaint about the major threatening our jobs when he showed up at roll call and told everyone that if they didn’t get on board with what what’s going on to go find a job elsewhere-then he went further to say, don’t look around here because I know every Chief of police for three counties…

Probably my last two years or so I felt the staff had gone over to the dark side and it was time for me to move on. I had really really thought the new Chief -who came from the ranks and was a decent guy would change things. But someone had some dirt on him or something like that, because he didn’t do squat. And the staff actively worked to get rid of the older guys who couldn’t be controlled.

So in total I stuck it out for three or four years. Then I had to medically retire. I was 3 years from being 50 when I could have taken a prorated retirement and left.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11286 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGForum Official Hand Model
Picture of ThankGod4Sig
posted Hide Post
You guys should work for a state agency (dot) that has nothing but engineers trying to out fudge every non engineer that works in his/her department.

Horrible horrible to work for. Can’t transfer out because I’ve spoke my mind and they all hate me.

"da evil Count Glockula."-Para

Posts: 7903 | Location: C-bus, Ohio | Registered: December 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
15 soul sucking years at the school system.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34122 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Team Apathy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by radioman:
I think that's your answer right there. You are making a long term investment by sacrificing for 4 years. Just make the most of your free time, don't give them any of your free time and learn to decompress.

Yes, this is kind of the mindset I tried to adopt in December of 2021 when the "last straw" fell. I still have to check myself, sometimes, when I start getting upset about some bad decision that has been handed down, but it has helped some to make a conscious decision to mentally disengage as much as possible.

I've pulled back from duties above and beyond only holding onto a Range Instructor position that I kind of enjoy and only takes a few days a year of my time. Otherwise, anything that requires time additional to the required, I find ways to avoid.

quote:
Originally posted by Fly-Sig:

First my question to you would be what does your family say about all this? If you are a miserable SOB all the time at home because of your bad job situation, they might prefer to go elsewhere. Or, they may be excited by the prospect of early retirement in 4 years and the freedom for you to be doing the part time thing.

My next question is whether there would be a different position you could take within the company? Even if there were a small pay cut it might be worth the tradeoffs.

If you hate the job with every fiber of your body, quit. It isn't worth your health and your relationships. The older you get the more dead people you know, and that will start to make an impression on you, too.

But I agree with the general sentiment of others here that you should probably find a way to disconnect emotionally and keep working until you get the retirement.

It used to cause more stress at home than it does now as I used to unload my frustrations at home and complain about the way things were. I noticed my wife was turning very bitter and angry, directed to my work. It wasn't sustainable so I have largely stopped complaining about work stuff at home. I have a few trusted co-workers who are of a similar mindset and we vent to each other. It has been better at home because of that.

Everybody is looking forward to the next stage in life. We've been prepping the kids mentally for the big move across the country and at this point, they are looking forward to it.

There aren't any feasible lateral moves I can make... there are sometimes "special assignments" that can be sought, but at my rank they are few and far between. While any one of them would carry me through to my end date entirely, at this point they all would move me into a position where I would have to work more closely for the people that are the source of my angst. I think in the end it would cause more issues.

I could demote back down to line staff, but at a 20% pay cut, for the rest of my life, essentially, I don't see that as anything but "the nuclear option". We aren't at that point.

quote:
Originally posted by Ronin101:
I have 3.5 years left to finish my 30yr corrections career. I am physically beat up and mentally burned out. But as others have said 3 and a half years is a blip. Then I can get another job {hopefully making as much or more) and I will be in a good place. Work 8 more years and retire at 65. Hoping my health stays good so I can enjoy some retirement!!!

Same job for me, but a local level. Does your corrections pension not pay enough at 30 years of service to allow you to not have to work after retirement? I know I spoiled by the fact that corrections jobs in my state pay incredibly well. The state corrections are one of the highest paid peace officers in the state. We don't make what they do, but we are very well paid for what we actually do, and my pension, even penalized by being younger than 50, will likely coverall living expenses in the areas we would actually want to move to.

quote:
Originally posted by 220-9er:
Any way to switch to a different department or job within the organization that might be less of a drag to ride out the next three years?

Again, no, unfortunately. Not realistically. For a while there was signs that they might make a new special assignment for me that would have been absolutely perfect in every where, but we could quite convince the man at the top to go for it.

quote:
Originally posted by straightshooter1:
I truly don't think I could make it nearly 4 years in your situation with a job I absolutely hated where there was at least some options like just walking out.

You are a lot tougher than me.

Bob

There are moments when I say to myself "I don't know how I'm going to make it 4 more years" but it isn't everyday. I don't think I'm any tougher than any of you, I just recognize that I'm too deep in and too close to that "forever check" to walk away. Sticking it out will buy substantial financial freedom, at only 44 years old, while my oldest child is only 14, and allow us to live life on our terms, where we want. It'll allow me to work at something I enjoy and gather satisfaction from, on my schedule. That is why I am able to keep going.

quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:

Under your circumstances if you decide to ride it out I would think of it in terms of three stages. Get to three years left. Then 18 months. Then the end.
I would also take advantage of every sick day, comp day, vacation day, holiday, etc.
Could they jerk you around and cut you loose?

Caring for those you supervise says alot about you. Don't forget to care for yourself.

Best of luck

Thank you for your kind words. I really like your thoughts on breaking it up into more manageable chunks. Last October I was about done, lower than I ever felt, and then a step broke and work and I fell, suffering a darn significant sprain. It put me on light duty for 6 months and, as a result, took me out of the day to day BS I hate. It was like an extended vacation and the stress melted away. I've been back for about a month, now, and a good measure of the stress is back, but its ok. I had a breather. I'll plan to take at least a full month off next year, maybe 2, plus I am using more sick time than I ever had. I use to feel guilty about it, now I simply DGAF. It is my time and I'll use it.

No, they can't really cut me loose. I'd have to essentially commit a very flagrant felony to be fired, and that isn't in the cards. I do my job, and I do them damn well. My staff are constantly promoting to new and better gigs. I am mentoring those that want it and have goals. It is the only satisfaction I have in this career... helping others better themselves and achieve their aspirations. This past year I've had 8 of my Deputies get promotions of highly sought after specialty assignments. I count each one as a substantial personal victory. No, it was all me, and they get nearly all the credit, but I helped them.

quote:
Originally posted by SW_Sig:
Three years ten months, I would stick it out.

I am two years eight moths out myself.

I get out to Modesto a few times a year to visit family. I will give you a shout during our next trip.

Sounds good, brother!

quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC:
So in total I stuck it out for three or four years. Then I had to medically retire. I was 3 years from being 50 when I could have taken a prorated retirement and left.

I admit there were days where I hoped the ankle injury was bad enough to make a medical retirement an option. Heck, I still wouldn't turn it down, though it isn't my preference. It doesn't look like it'll go that way but it isn't done quite yet.

Posts: 6368 | Location: Modesto, CA | Registered: January 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I am not
posted Hide Post
I can't imagine working in a CA prison. No way nuh uh!!

Having said that living in a Conservative Republican state has its benefits but working for the state isn't one of them. I've probably gotten 5% in the last 5 years. the county jail starts their officers at 6.00 an hour more an hour. We are currently running with 25% security vacancies.

my retirement is 2% per year so someone that puts in 30 years gets 60% of their best 4 years averaged. for me that will be around 3000.00 minus taxes. the problem is no medical insurance. They dont offer any at all not even at a discounted rate. We all no how expensive that is.

My wife has to work 12 more years as a 911 supervisor. So I may have insurance through her. But with PTSD and back and carpal tunnel issues I don't even know if she will make it that long. She has 22 in and 12 more puts her at 34. Not easy.

So weather I could retire is kind of complicated..

Posts: 7803 | Location: Bismarck ND | Registered: February 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Team Apathy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ronin101:
I can't imagine working in a CA prison. No way nuh uh!!

Having said that living in a Conservative Republican state has its benefits but working for the state isn't one of them. I've probably gotten 5% in the last 5 years. the county jail starts their officers at 6.00 an hour more an hour. We are currently running with 25% security vacancies.

my retirement is 2% per year so someone that puts in 30 years gets 60% of their best 4 years averaged. for me that will be around 3000.00 minus taxes. the problem is no medical insurance. They dont offer any at all not even at a discounted rate. We all no how expensive that is.

My wife has to work 12 more years as a 911 supervisor. So I may have insurance through her. But with PTSD and back and carpal tunnel issues I don't even know if she will make it that long. She has 22 in and 12 more puts her at 34. Not easy.

So weather I could retire is kind of complicated..

I'm in a county jail... we don't make as much as the state boys, but that is fine with me. The prison system is... yikes. No thanks. Also, I do prefer that the state government not have direct control of my pay check.

My retirement system is 3% per year once you hit 50, however, you can retire at any age as long as you hit 20 years of service, with an "underage penalty". If you are under 50 your pension is reduce by X percentage per 3 months under 50... For me, retiring at 44, means my 20 years will get me 50% of my single highest 12 month period... no averaging across multiple years.

The pension plan changed about 10 years ago, I think. Maybe a little less. Anybody hired after that no longer gets 3% at 50 and no longer has an early retirement clause. They get 2.5% per year at age 57. That is a super long career in this field... I don't know that many will make it.

It will be all I can do to finish my 20 years and escape.

Posts: 6368 | Location: Modesto, CA | Registered: January 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post