SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Crawl around inside an Iowa Class Turrett
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Crawl around inside an Iowa Class Turrett Login/Join 
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sig sailor:
My Dad was on the Iowa in WWII, now he is 94years old and still going strong. I got to tour the New Jersey (same type ship) a few years ago. We were able to get inside the gun turret on that ship. Very interesting, and not much room to move.
Rod
My good friend Walter helped to build BB61, then served on her throughout the war. He was a boatswain. Surely miss the man.

Posts: 17905 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stangosaurus Rex
Picture of Tommydogg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC:
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:
I’m just glad I don’t have to keep that ship painted.

That's why there were so many people aboard! Wink

(not really, they crew numbers were such that if the crew took significant fatalities and injuries the ship could keep fighting. WWII Crew: 134 officers and 2,400 enlisted)

I want to say our crew size at recomissioning was just over 1500 total. I think we trimmed down to about 1400 in a year or so.

Beth Greene

Posts: 7841 | Location: South Florida | Registered: January 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post